Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwalker

starwalker

Brizo wins the ..............

That was fast. I thought it would take longer than that since he was wearing glasses.

2. starwalker

starwalker

I never saw anything about it till this post. I went to school at Oral Roberts University in 68-72, so it must have been one of those things that is long gone. I recognize, though I can't remember his name, the guy doing the preaching. DeWitt?, DeWeese? Something like that. He was OR's assistant for years. (OR is what the students called Roberts).

3. starwalker

starwalker

I'm headed through there at the end of next week. Is it still there and where?

4. starwalker

starwalker

This is one reason I love this. We're looking at them in their prime.

5. swi66

swi66

6. swi66

swi66

7. swi66

swi66

8. [​IMG]

Tall women for 1954?

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

LOL! :D Sorry, Lee! You can SEE that my Alzheimer's is kicking into high gear, eh? :eek: You'd originally posted your old frined's snapshot over on the "Extinct Makes" thread. TuckerFan researched the background (from the PH exchange) a great deal and nailed it down to SoCal and a year (about '52?). Maybe he'll chime in with the particulars.

But, I never saw the pic of the blue tuck with the little girl. Sure would like to know more about THAT photo!:)

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

sorry guys, i dont know how to just post 2 pics of this run but i am really interested where these pics of trimble/ dyersburg tn came from as thats where i am from.

11. Yes, Tuckerfan has seen this one. I posted it on a Tucker thread here. Its a photo of my friend's ex when she was a little girl sitting on her Dad's Tucker which happened to be # 001 - the first Tucker. :eek: He sold it in the 70's for what is chump change today. I have a couple other photos of it from then. The old man nearly died when he found out it was valued over a million now. He has since passed and the guy who bought it still owns it here in NJ.

Attached Files:

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Thanks, John. Sweet car! So, this would have been the first reg-prod. unit to roll out, after the prototype Goose, right? Looks as though at least one of the pix you just posted is vintage like the one a couple of pages back.

Seem somehow ironic. Tuckers are among the most sought-after collector cars in the world at a mil-plus each. But (seems to me anyway:p), once you adjust for inflation and divide by about 51 the sum total of all the money Preston plowed into the company, personnel, promotion, etc., etc., I'd bet each Tucker actually cost over a million dollars, expressed in modern-day dollars. All in all, irrelevant:rolleyes:, but I thought it was interesting to ponder the financial wherewithall that went into each of these rare units.

In the spirit of our occasional "Then&Now" illustrations, here's a pic from one of the links Pipopak posted, showing the Brazil "lost" Tucker being relocated from the dilapidated museum. Pix in the three links seem to show that somebody put some fairly serious miles on this car, though, obviously, it is imminently restorable. :)For sure.

Hey, and how often do you get to see a T-48 from this angle? Interesting perspective on Tremulis' design lines, eh? Some people aren't turned on at all by the Tucker, but I love them. Putting oneself in the year 1948, it seems to me that the "Torpedo" compared well -- if not epitomized -- design trends at that moment in time. Had Preston been able to squeeze out 10- or 20,000, instead of an oddity they'd have looked right at home on the asphalt with Studes, step-down Hudsons, and sleek Cads & Buicks, do you think?:cool:

[​IMG]

52RAM108 likes this.
  13. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

Found these for sale on ebay.

seller is mr.tiques

14. agtw31

agtw31

i saw this car is in a museum in Pigeon Forge,Tn back in the 80's

15. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

[​IMG]

That is Yucca Flats in the nevada nuclear test site. The make shift seating being used in the left of the picture, is still there! I was out there a few years ago.

There would be marching bands to entertain the crowd until the blast. Some kind of stupid!

16. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boston Bridge
    [​IMG]
    1942 Atlantic Ave Boston

17. swi66

swi66

18. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

My aunt and uncle around the time they got married.

19. antonis777

antonis777
    from greece

i have the second pisture in my room! i love vintage!

20. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

[​IMG]

My father purchased one of these brand new, blue 4dr just like this one in 61'. Traded it for a Rambler American stawgn in 62' when the warranty expired on the Corvair. Couldn't afford persistent valve and head repairs.
    I won't repeat the navy terminology he used the first time he saw a Fiero. :)
    Tom S. in Tn.

21. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Nice to see a few Tucker shots show up here. The first one with the little girl is Tucker #1001. The girl and the people in the Tucker are believed to be Woytowich family members.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The photos were taken in Bellville NJ at this location.

[​IMG]
    Tucker #1001 now belongs to the Cammack Collection in Alexandria VA.

The car lot photo was taken at 2525 Shattuck Ave in Berkeley CA around June of 1954. I spent hundreds of hours over two years tracking this one down. The dealer only used this phone number for about 6 months in 1954 so it wasn't in any reverse directories.
    [​IMG]
    The car next to it is a 1952 Jaguar XK120.

[​IMG]

The Tucker being loaded on the flatbed is #1035 in Brazil. This car has an amazing history. It was converted to a front engine setup. A 1947 Cadillac Series 62 was installed under the Tucker body. Everything between the rocker panels was cut off the Tucker and it was set on the Cadillac undercarriage. The car is going to have a mild restoration over the next few years but will retain the Cadillac frame.

If you'd like to see more Tucker photos check out my Tucker thread at:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534872

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, TuckerFan! RE #1035, the story you recount rings a bell. Is the car somewhere out in the Pacific NW? Washington, Oregon, maybe? Though not a bounty, I'm glad that a few original factory parts survived to resto these important pieces of auto history.

Please help my memory. Did you mention somewhere that only three or four Tuckers got destroyed over the years, out of the 51 or 52 production cars built?

As for Tucker #1, when did it roll out the factory door? And (at least as far as anyone knows), when did the final '48 get squeezed out before the factory was shuttered? I understand that a number of line men kept working for pride ONLY, just to prove to the world that it all wasn't a hoax or moneymaking scheme. God bless them.

23. 1941 Does anyone make a good malted anymore? :)
    [​IMG]

24. photo dated 1944
    [​IMG]

25. Photos dated 1959
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Civil Defense Air Raid Siren from the Cold War era - about 1951
    [​IMG]

27. Photo from 1957 - more Cold War era memories
    [​IMG]

28. 1954 ca Another Civil Defense Air Raid siren from the Cold War era