Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spooler41

spooler41

Side note , most Messerschmitt 323's started life as transport gliders. A few were converted to powered aircraft near the end of the war. They proved to be to slow and to easy to shoot down. They were all lost to allied fighters .

...................Jack

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. empire

empire

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

This would be the Malcolm Loughead "Lockheed Hydraulic Brake Company" he formed in 1926.
    Just before the infamous Lockheed Aircraft Company was started.

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Infamous? To the Axis, maybe.

The Loughead/Lockheed saga is a highly interesting one. And, of course, relevant here because the brake company's patent was what was used to make the '40-'48 Ford juice brakes to coveted in the '50s to upgrade '28-'38 Fords.

Incidentally, according to Wikipedia, the aircraft company was named after the brake company, not the other way around. Both being a phonetic spelling of the founder's name.

-Dave

4. empire

empire

This was the first use of the "Lockheed" spelling after 14 years in the aviation industry, the Scottish brothers wanted to have their name pronounced correctly.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Right, but there were two aircraft companies. The first was liquidated before the formation of the brake company, and the second was founded after the brake company had already started making the Lockheed spelling famous.

-Dave

6. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

lsr

7. Seymour Tennessee indeed!:D

8. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

She is carrying the body casting of a scale model train in her hand (yes she has a hand) Is this an ad for Lionel?

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What a better way to bring Father and Son together. Son lets go down and see the lovely Chew Chews.

10. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

I thought you guys said there were no fat people in the 40s. Obviously there were. :D

11. Bowtie , I recognise the picture of the two logging trucks with the two long poles on them . My father in law , Bill Jensen , was part of the team that rigged the poles for transport .The poles ened up a Kew Gardens in England as flag poles . The picture is taken just after they crossed the Copper Canyon Bridge west of Chemainus , B.C. Rob.

12. Are they the same ones that were in the Canadian Pavilion in Osaka Japan at EXPO? The notes on the photo stated that's where these were destined.

Here's a few more pics. The first one shows a railcar which was one of 8 used to haul the timber from 1 sole tree away. That's a BC legend that will probably never be seen again. The last picture is one of the "logging Camps", looks pretty hospitable to me. Oh and yes, our logging trucks became too large for the public roads.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  13. ehdubya

ehdubya

14. ehdubya

ehdubya

15. ehdubya

ehdubya

16. ehdubya

ehdubya

17. ehdubya

ehdubya

18. Some more "Vintage shots from days gone by"!:D

19. navypainter

navypainter

Some pretty amazing pictures

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Great photo, Twin. ;) True candids convey so much that the posed (or even loosely composed) photo never can. :cool: That's why I loved the work of photographers for LIFE and many of the major newspapers (LA Times jumps to mind).

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

'29 Dodge Senior roadster. Very quaint ad,
    in a definite period style sense. ;) If these
    Dodge ads have been shown before, some-
    one jingle me and I'll delete. Thanks.

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

All the MoPar makes came out swinging for '55 and '56, with new
    lines and new power! :D Below is my all-time fave Dodge. Looks
    good from just about any angle, though the grille could have
    benefitted from a few more days in the drawing studio, IMO.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    Ad THANKS to MotorBase!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Hi Bowtie , Maybe I am mistaken about the destination but that is definately Copper Canyon . My father in law has pictures of those trees as they were being rigged on the trucks . As for the the trucks a fully loaded HDX is a humbling site when they are coming towards you ...Huge loads.
    Rob

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Suppose she pissed off Mister Rogers or something??? :D

[​IMG]

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Ron, is that the Maverick? :confused:

[​IMG]

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

I just had to comment on this fab photo. It says SOOOOO much about what was going on, spring 1958!!! :eek: This is Opening Day:D, April 18, 1958, the FIRST LA appearance by the former Brooklyn Dodgers! :eek: Wow! As if the Dodgers jumping ship wasn't a big enough news item, the "all new" EDSEL:rolleyes: is featured, after debuting in the previous fall following literally years of ballyhoo (which came back to haunt the make). John Malmin shot the pic for the Los Angeles Times. Original cutline: "Spectators line Broadway as Dodgers Manager Walter Alston, right, and coach Charlie Dressen ride in a caravan to their first game at the Coliseum."

Though the LA Dodgers had a sub-.500 '58 season, big things were on the horizon. The '58 roster featured now-legendary names, including Duke Snider, Pee Wee Reese, Gil Hodges, Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax, Frank Howard, Jim Gentile, Norm Larker, Johnny Roseboro, Rube Walker, Bob Lillis, Carl Erskine, Jim Gilliam, Johnny Podres, Don Zimmer, Don Newcombe and others.

27. 5w32

5w32

nothing worse than screaming up a logging road on your 76 husky360wr and meeting one of those Pacific logging trucks roaring down the hill at you.....filled my diaper a few times!

28. jw last

jw last
    from ABQ, NM

F-86 training, mid-50s

Controller "In the flare go around, use afterburner....."
    Pilot: "Afterburners haven't been invented yet....."

[​IMG]

29. jw last

jw last
    from ABQ, NM

Early Simulator, F-89, Feb 1954.

[​IMG]