Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shop equipment and tools....Who still uses it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsy, Sep 1, 2009.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Southbend lathe from the mid 40's, Craftsman drill press early fifties, hand crank drill press that my grandfather bought used in the 1930's and a whole set of Craftsman sockets with the ratchet and speed wrench that my grandfather bought new in the late 30's. Oh, and an anvil that my great grandfather had before 1900. There's more but I've got some stuff that needs to be reconditioned and put back in service. If I don't get to it my grandson seems to be taking an interst in this stuff so he will carry the torch. I just gave him the Remington bolt action .22 rifle that my grandfather gave me for my 12th birthday 53 yrs. ago.

Frank

2. Elrod

Elrod

Walker Turner Drill Press Late 30s early 40s

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

This is a flaring and beading tool kit for 3/16 to 5/8 tubing. I got it from a friend who's dad was a Marine aircraft mechanic during WWII and the Korean war. Works great and you operate it with a BFH!!! could it get any better!

Rex

Attached Files:

4. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

I use an old CP Planishing hammer in my shop. I bought it from an oldtimer that had it for 40 years. He told me it came off an aircraft carrier.

I did clean it up, removed some old layers of paint, and powdercoated it.

It is an excellent machine for working with sheetmetal parts. There is something about older equipment that is hard to replicate.

Attached Files:

• 043.jpg
      043.jpg
      File size:
      487.8 KB
      Views:
  5. dmikulec

dmikulec

Reviving an ancient thread...

Local flea market find. Made by DeVilbiss of Toledo, Ohio and officially labeled a Hand Oil Stream Gun, Type HW. Not sure how old it is, but it's cool as hell. Will put it to good use once I clean it up.

Who else collect and uses old US made tools?

Attached Files:

6. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Just rebuilt my 1932 Southbend toolroom lathe.

I've also got a Lanagan and Hoke distributor machine. It was made for flathead distributors but has adapters for others.

Shawn

7. indyjps

indyjps

I have 1950's aluminum case drill, shocks me every once in a while so the useage is down.

Have been helping a good friend rebuild his vintage tools, 40" bed metal working lathe, (3)1950-60's delta drill presses so Im getting into it and learning so I feel comfortable buying vintage. we buy mostly at auction, typically have to convert from 3 phase, growing collection of motors for swap material.

8. Lild

Lild

I dont have any lethes or things like that but I do use alot of hand-me-down hand tools that are older than dirt. Amazing how a 30-40 year old ratchet just keeps on turning and even the high dollar off the tool truck ones have to be rebuilt in a few years. Love old tools

9. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an early '40s Southbend 9 inch lathe, an early '40s Delta drill press, a late '60s Sun 404 distributor tester, and various hand tools I bought new in the early '60s. The old tools were built so much better than the stuff offered today.

10. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I'm on the prowl for an old drill press but I do have a pretty good collection of WWII and prior Plomb tools and a couple of boxes. I love them and use them almost everyday.

11. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I use a pexto stomp shear and throatless shear from the 40's. My air compressor is from 1939

12. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

scrolling thru, but not reading all the posts, has anyone checked out the garage journal? there is a post over there about restoring a 30's repair shop. runs several hundred pages long, and he has all kinds of old vintage tools he was able to salvage and reuse. very interesting read for sure.

13. 3kross

3kross
    Alliance Vendor
    from Adrian, MO

Hey Hugh M I picked up a bead roller just like that did you happen to get extra dies for it mine only had one.

Attached Files:

14. janbuick

janbuick

I know its'an old tread
    but I like old tools
    this is what I build in my shop
    it runs on electric ore a old stationairy engine
    [​IMG]

15. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Sorry, mine came just like yours...probably some modern ones that will work, but as of now just have the beading set.

16. oj

oj

I just gathered up this A. Dewes Mfg foot operated punch/press. No idea how old, there is no patent number on it. There is a 1" punch in it and it'll whack 16ga no problem and i can use modern tooling in it. The machine was built to 'wear-in' not wear out and it is just as tight as any modern piece.

Attached Files:

17. NealinCA

NealinCA

I love old machine tools. I picked up this old Sunnen bushing hone from a friend recently...

[​IMG]

I got it home, plugged it in and it and surprisingly...it ran...so I decided to clean it up and paint it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually bought it just for the tooling...but since it cleaned up so nice, I decided to just use it rather than get a newer model bench hone. I honed some steering gear sector shaft bushings with it already...and it worked great.

Anyone have some new Sunnen SL-style stones they want to part with?

Neal

BTW, the stand is made out of a Fordson tractor axle bell with an early Ford car axle bell on top. At first I thought it was an official Sunnen stand until I looked closer...

18. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

I love all the old equipment and got a shop full of it. Some that are still used daily are the 1941 Quincy air compressor, the 1954 Bridgeport, and my top favorite the 1946 Monarch EE tool room lathe.

[​IMG]

19. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

My vintage Craftsmen/Atlas 12''x 36'' lathe, and my vintage Lincoln IdealArc 250 ac/dc welder. I also have a vintage Craftsmen drill press, all perform like they are new.

Attached Files:

20. I have some,two 30's 10" grinders .A 1953 powermatic variable speed drill press also 53 powermatic 4x36 belt sander with 12" disc. 1955 logan 10" lathe,beverly b2 shear it was owned by the school i worked at which opened in 39.

21. meeester

meeester

I have a drill press that was used in the Autocar factory near here. I'd love to see it get used by someone who appreciates it. It has a speed increaser and a lot of mills and drills to go with it. Note the foot pedal. The gear drive table height mechanism can be remounted as needed.
    now....how to insert a photo . . .
    paulrtierney(use @ symbol here)gmail(DOT)com
    cell phone six one zero six one 32550

Attached Files:

22. snelson57

snelson57

Just picked up this JC Blount Grinder at a rummage sale. Figured it was worth the $5 I paid in scrap!

Attached Files:

23. sixpuppy

sixpuppy
    from USA

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  24. sixpuppy

sixpuppy
    from USA

(sorry, will have to figure out PIC posting protocols: tech-challenged geezer newb)

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  25. sixpuppy

sixpuppy
    from USA

•Lisle SR-212 ridge reamer

•old Delta drill press from the '40s

•Aamco 1750 brake gage for adjusting old Mopar/Lockeed brakes

•assorted U.S.-made sockets and open end wrenches from the '20s-'70s

26. [​IMG]

BTW, the stand is made out of a Fordson tractor axle bell with an early Ford car axle bell on top. At first I thought it was an official Sunnen stand until I looked closer...[/QUOTE]

It may well be that Sunnen used Ford parts to build their stands. Many USA manufacturers found clever ways to use Ford parts on their equipment. I've seen many stationary engines that used Model T pistons and rods. Cheaper to buy Ford parts than to have to make them.

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

My Kwikway valve grinder is a 1956 Model, dont know the year on my Kwikway valve seat cutter and my Monarch Lathe is a 1924 model

28. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

It may well be that Sunnen used Ford parts to build their stands. Many USA manufacturers found clever ways to use Ford parts on their equipment. I've seen many stationary engines that used Model T pistons and rods. Cheaper to buy Ford parts than to have to make them.[/QUOTE]

That....IS SLICK!!! Very nice!!!!

29. NealinCA

NealinCA

That....IS SLICK!!! Very nice!!!![/QUOTE]

I have since added a small parts washer tank as a coolant tank. It's kinda messy, but it works great.

[​IMG]

Neal

30. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I get a lot of use from the Atlas lathe from the 30's:
    [​IMG]