Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage RUST

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1low52, Feb 22, 2008.

1. 1low52

1low52

Stopped by a friends used car lot today on my way home to shoot the bull and he told me about a lot full of old junk cars near by. My 'old junk car' antenna went up and got directions to go check it out. Some of the cars were so grown over with vines and thistles I could't even tell what kind of cars were underneath. If only someone could have got some of these cars twenty years ago before they reached this point. It's a shame to crushem but that appears to be where they are going soon with the price of scrap being what it is.

Attached Files:

2. Sigh! Just think, in a few years all these old piles will be gone, and all because of the price of scrap. I don't care if there is anything anybody could ever "do with it" or not, a bunch of old car is a pleasure to behold. Hell, I see potential. Some day people will look at these pics and say, "I started with a lot worse."

3. South Coast Rodder

South Coast Rodder

I'll bet alot of those old "crushers" are still good enough to drag outa there ! You need to get a phone contact and if you don't have the cash maybe another fellow HAMBER would like to go make them an offer on the whole yard ? Just a thought ?

4. 1low52

1low52

I found out who owns them and I'm going to see if they will let me scarf some parts before they crush them.

5. slammed

slammed

Any chance for more pic's? Close up's? Good luck digging through the brush.

6. crapshoot

crapshoot

i see lots of parts trim,bumpers,engines,rear end, fenders theres a ton of stuff that dosen't need to get crushed. get a number if you don't wanna deal with that i would

7. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

that lot is still full of builders, with all of the talent thats on this site there should no trouble in getting most of them back on the road!!!!

8. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

if your laking the funds or not interested in buying a lot of the cars there please put a contact number on the thread. a lot of us out here would love to buy up that lot.

9. 1low52

1low52

Here are a few more pix. With the climate her and the fact that they are covered with vines a lot of these cars are rusty. But you are correct that with the talent here on the HAMB some of these cars could be saved. I haven't been able to talk with the lady who owns the lot yet ( she is a widow who's husband and son operated the old gas station in front of the lot until his death and all is as was) but if you PM me your info. I'll keep you updated as I move forward with this project.

Attached Files:

10. synthsis

synthsis

11. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

If nothing else the drive trains would be worth getting.

12. 1low52

1low52

"I'll keep you updated as I move forward with this project."[/quote]

Finally the deal is sealed!
    As best I can count there are about 60-70 cars on the lot, and I've got until Feb. 08 to remove all.
    The problem now is the bees, snakes, etc.
    I will probably wait for cold weather to start the process. They are so packed in I will have to start at the front and move them out by row.
    As I can see better what is there I will post pix for all to see and digest.

13. Man, I never run across old tin like that!

14. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

feb 08? hasnt that already passed?

15. 1low52

1low52

Correct you are! Supposed to be Feb. 09.
    Didn't get much sleep last night. Just got home from the Jalopy Showdown about noon. Thanks for the correction.

16. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

no prob. but thats awesome man, hope you got room for all of them. and if you were closer i would help ya out just to see what was in there. and becareful of snakes, it turns out they will crawl up your pants, dont ask how i know lets just say the hokey pokey was done at a very fast pace and then it ended with a large rock.

17. 61bone

61bone

a Large rock to the trouser snake? OOOOOH!:)

18. 1low52

1low52

Talking this weekend with some guys at the Showdown about the cars and removal timeframe brought about some interesting 'critter' stories. But none about trouser snakes.

19. Just go in with some loppers and a chainsaw and cut the crap off them one car at a time. As long as you have that much time to remove them, you may as well sell some whole cars - you'd be surprised what people are willing to restore even if you're not.

In the meantime, you can strip and scrap some 4dr sedans and make yourself some quick cash. It might be good though to get a bunch ready to haul and wait for the price to come back up a little, it did drop a bit up here.

And if there are 5-6-7 Chevy hardtops, you can't find those damned things anywhere anymore, the only one I could find up here is a broken frame POS -

20. montclaire

montclaire

If you find any 31-32 willys stuff, keep me in mind

21. Fresh469

Fresh469
    from Benton, KY

any chance there are any 55-57 chevy trucks? i need a grille shell

22. 1low52

1low52

Request noted. Thanks for the interest.

23. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

49'-52' Buick 4-door or 52' Caddy 4-door stuff needed!

24. 1low52

1low52

Request noted. Thanks

25. 1low52

1low52

Request noted. Thanks.

26. 1low52

1low52

Update guys on my rust adventure. More pix. We started cutting away some of the brush, wow what a mess of ivy and honesuckle. As you can see most of what we've found thus far is 50's and up and rusty. My plan was to salvage what I could and scrap the rest but metal $ went south and need to recoup investment as best as possible.

Attached Files:

27. ...thanks for the update, keep us posted as you continue on. Good luck.

28. James427

James427
    BANNED

Yes, please. For those of us that aren't close enough to enjoy/help with the unearthing, please take photos. Also, don't forget to look under the back seats for vintage coins. A friend of mine found one that was worth $1,100 under the back seat of a car in a JY.

29. 1low52

1low52

Some more pix of the finds so far.

Most are as rough as they look but have some parts available.

Attached Files:

30. Thumper

Thumper

Is that in Collinsville or Fieldale ??