Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Vintage Rocket Lighted Hood Ornament, Park Light?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, Nov 3, 2016.

1. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance for photos, but I was looking through a box I got at an auction for a whopping dollar and I found this thing that looks something like a 36-39 Buick parking light, but isn't. Here's what those look like.

buickparklight.JPG

This one has a more curved base in cast pot metal with the rib over the top rather than on the side, a little tail at the back to make it into a rocket, and crosshairs across the front lens only. Lens is white glass. Sides are stamped tin and one side has a screw mount. Inside the first few inches of wire are wrapped like a heater cable in coiled metal, the rest is cloth covered and by the size I'd say it's a 6 volt bulb. I don't see any kind of markings on it. The lens is glass and notched to fit into the crosshair bars.

I'm fairly certain it's an aftermarket accessory of some sort, but a bunch of searches here and on Google have come up empty. I figured I'd start a thread now and if anyone has any ideas how I can ID it go from there, if I have time Friday I'll take some pictures.

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Could be a JC Whitney POS.

Gary

3. I've seen those on 39 Chevys. Stock accessory I think.
    lrmp_1101_19_o-1939_chevy_master_deluxe-front_view.jpg

tomkelly88 likes this.
  4. Doesn't look like any Terraplane I found photos of, but the Chevy park light is a lot closer. Except the chrome is different, rib over the top, but not down the sides except on the lens.

5. It's a 36 Olds fender-top-light.

6. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

If it looks like this, it's a 36 Reo Flying Cloud. reoturn1.jpg

7. Well, here's what it looks like. Looks like 919 900 inside the base but doesn't seem to have any logo or maker's mark.
    DSCF3865.JPG DSCF3866.JPG DSCF3867.JPG DSCF3872.JPG

8. Looks like the Reo is a match.

Edit: found a pair that sold on eBay in August, same part number inside. Seller said they were '35 Reo Truck, I would guess they used them the last two or three years on all their vehicles.

Considering what the pair sold for I did good for a one dollar box lot that I didn't even look through until I got home.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    chevy57dude likes this.
  9. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Diamond T used some of these.

[​IMG]