Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage photo of a Studebaker Avanti

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Aug 6, 2017.

1. toml24

toml24

This Studebaker Avanti photo was taken sometime in 1974 at my high school in Redondo Beach, CA. I was a senior and was in my photography class, and was trolling the campus with a school supplied deluxe 35mm camera looking for interesting shots and I came upon this Studebaker Avanti, which was owned by a teacher. It's not the best exposure but it has survived. I wonder where this car is now?

1974-Studebaker Avanti.jpg

2. aircap

aircap

Hopefully it's still on the road. You could ask over on the forum of the Studebaker Drivers' Club....

3. toml24

toml24

That is a great idea. Perhaps someone who is a current member of both the HAMB and the SDC could do some cutting and pasting as a favor?

4. Avanti Fanatic

Avanti Fanatic

Hi tom-may I post your picture on the Avanti Owner's Association website?

5. toml24

toml24

Absolutely, Be my guest. The high school was Aviation High in Redondo, Beach, CA., which was in the "South Bay" area of Southern California. It would bs so cool to find "proof of life" after almost 44 years.

6. philo426

philo426

Was the car red or black?

7. toml24

toml24

Gosh! My brain hurts, I don't remember. For some reason I don't think it's black. Maybe dark burgundy, It's clearly a dark color but my mind tells me it's something other than black.

8. Avanti Fanatic

Avanti Fanatic

9. Avanti Fanatic

Avanti Fanatic

So far, members are focusing on the car being a 1964 model, the last and a low production year for the Studebaker Avanti-just over 800 were built. If the car you remember was indeed Avanti Maroon (a dark burgundy),not many would have been built,so someone may remember the car you describe.And other than black,that would have been the only dark color available.If you go to the AOAI home page (aoai.org),a turquoise '63 Avanti will pop up,then an Avanti Maroon '64,and this should be the dark burgundy you describe-does that car look like the one you remember?

10. toml24

toml24

The hunt is on! I appreciate this very much. I have always been a fan of the Avanti since I saw my first example on the road in the late 1960's.. Of course in the 1970's it was the Avanti II. I still have literature from the company from about 1970. Another car I like with a giant wrap around rear window is the OT Jensen Interceptor. Anyway, back to our Avaiti, I don't profess to be an expert car spotter so I can't render much of an opinion on specific details to ID one model year from another so I trust the word and views of others. What I do know is the Avanti is a timeless design and style that I really like. Maybe someday someone will take me for a ride in an Avanti. Wooha Nelli..... That would be fun!