Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical vintage looking Remote fill master cylinder kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, Mar 6, 2016.

1. 55willys

55willys

I have been working on a dual circuit remote fill master cylinder kit for Willys pickup and wagon. The thought came to me to do one for the guys who wanted to retain the stock master, so I made one for that. The cap is 1 5/8" x 18 thread and will fit many other master cylinders making this a sortof universal remote fill kit.

I would be interested in doing others to fit with different size master cylinder kits. Please let me know the thread size and vehicle make so I can add those sizes to the kit. Here are some pics of the dual kit I made for the Willys. It has a 16 oz. reservoir but I also have 4 oz. and 8oz. reservoirs available for the stock single master cylinder kits.

I am also working on a dual circuit remote fill master cylinder for hot rod applications. Now that I have the containers, fittings and adapters worked out the kits will be easily adaptable to many applications. Any thoughts on this are welcomed, and I will be posting pictures of the other kits when I get them.

20160305_203935_resized.jpg 20160305_203856_resized.jpg 20160305_203654_resized.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. BobPer

BobPer

Bump for the lunch time crowd.

zorro4153 likes this.
  3. Well that's pretty cool. :cool:

I wonder if you couldn't take an old Jelly Jar master gut it and run lines from it to your remotely located master. Then you could bolt the jelly jar to the firewall just like an old hot rod.

@55willys that is just a new idea for you to play with. not to take way from your current design.;)

55willys and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I like it. Lots of old British cars had something similar.

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your remote really looks great, but two issues. One, there should be two separate reservoirs with a dual master. Granted there is probably enough fluid in the drop line to ensure proper operation in the "good" system when the other fails, but you would not know which system is failing, or failed, when checking the fluid level.
    Second, the cap should be vented to an expandable gasket to allow fluid drop and yet provide an air-tight reservoir for the fluid.

40 Coupe Since 69 likes this.
  6. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw this yesterday at the Puyallup 4x4 meet. It's really clean, and was getting a lot of attention from the Willys Jeep guys.

7. gobybike

gobybike

What
    What kind of lines are the flex lines? I made a remote res for my F1 and looked all over for something that would not dissolve in brake fluid. Ended up finding some at a VW shop of all places. Looks good.

8. 55willys

55willys

The cap is vented and it has the expandable gasket in it to separate the fluid from the atmosphere and moisture. I also have 4 oz. and 8 oz. reservoirs that could be installed to separate the two circuits.

9. 55willys

55willys

EPDM rubber works for brake fluid, I got it at a hydraulic shop. Any Brakquip dealer can also get it in 10" lengths.

10. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

11. 55willys

55willys

Thanks, I am researching cap sizes now and so far the most common are 1 5/8", 1 1/4" and 3/4". That covers most Ford, Dodge and Chevy single circuit master cylinders. The plan is to make single circuit reservoir kits for those wanting to retain the stock master. I am also working on a remote fill dual circuit master kit that will be a bolt in in place of stock masters. The one pictured above is for Willys pickup and wagon. I will also offer three bore sizes 1", 1 1/16", and 1 1/8" that way you can tailor the size to fit with your wheel cylinders and calipers. I will also offer a universal remote fill dual circuit master to fit aftermarket frames.

12. john walker

john walker

I made a couple of those to keep my leaky knee action shocks filled on my old '49 cad.

13. 55willys

55willys

For a dual circuit master cylinder do you prefer a 16 oz. can with two outlets or two 8 oz. cans that keep the fluid separate? I am thinking about offering it with the option of either set up. What do you think?

14. 55willys

55willys

I also have a 4oz. can that can be used on the single or dual circuit setups. We designed a bracket yesterday that will hold two of the 4oz. or 8oz. cans for dual circuit setups.

The cans are ceramic coated which is brake fluid proof as are the labels. Send me a PM of what you need and I will see what I can do to accommodate your specific needs.

15. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I could have used one for my hydraulic clutch but I had to make one. In my search I could not find a remote reservoir that was properly vented as yours is. Great idea

16. 55willys

55willys

For those who just want to remote fill the stock reservoir I have 1 1/4" and 1 5/8" adapter caps that screw into the master cylinder. I am still trying to find a supplier for the 3/4" cap.

17. 55willys

55willys

The 1-5/8" master cylinder caps are done. I should have a sample of the 1-1/4" cap and a 3/4" pipe bushing that can be modified into the 3/4-18 thread that the Chevy and Dodge master cylinders use by this weekend.

18. 55willys

55willys

Picked up some parts at the water jet place today. I showed him my sample 3/4-18 master cylinder cap today and he said he could do them for about $7 each, that's better than the machine shop can do them for.

19. Are these now available? I need the smallest (4 oz?) Can with single outlet.
    Phil

Sent from my Nexus 7 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. 55willys

55willys

They are now available and can be bought through my business partners ebay listings. Here is a link to all of them.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/wc52od/m.html?item=302134210564&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
    We have the 4oz. and 8oz. single reservoirs and choice of the 1-5/8" master cylinder cap and the 3/4"-18 that Fits many Mopar and GM master cylinders. We should have the 1-1/4" caps soon, They fit some GM truck and early Fords. You can also find links in my signature file below.

21. 55willys

55willys

We have sold some of these. They are available with a 4oz. or 8oz. reservoir with 1-5/8" or 3/4"x18 adapter caps and we have the 1-1/4" adapter cap on the way. We also offer a dual reservoir kit with a dual mounting bracket. The dual setup does not come with the master cylinder adapter but there are other sources for these. I am also in the development of a master cylinder kit that replaces the standard Corvette master that is usually used. This will not take up as much space under the floor leaving more room to run other things like the exhaust.
    IMG_20161015_145149593.jpg IMG_20161015_150249481.jpg IMG_20161015_153806053.jpg

John Heckman and loudbang like this.