Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Dune Buggie Picture Thread.........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straightaxle65, Mar 11, 2009.

1. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

This might be a little off topic for some but I think these are Hot Rods in there own right. I got a ride in a Flathead powered buggy when I was about 5 or 6 years old that did endless donuts and I have loved them since. Here are a few pics I have found.

Attached Files:

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Well I think it would fall into Hot Rod category!!!!

3. racer67x

racer67x

I'll bet that hillclimb was a blast!
    :)

4. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

damn, i have got to build me one of those someday

5. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

heres a couple more.

Attached Files:

6. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

with a tractor grill that one would look like some of the crud i've seen posted.

7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

We started going to Glamis in the mid 60's. We used to call the buggies like the ones in your pictures "water pumpers".

We ran Corvair powered buggies in a group called the Orange County Burrows.

I love the dunes.

8. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Check out the 37 Ford front end assembly.

Attached Files:

9. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

More Sand Slinging !

Attached Files:

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Dig the early car tires with a lot of knife hours making em into sand treads. Neat stuff

11. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Anybody have anymore pictures to add?

12. ragtop35

ragtop35

13. I know this fella. Gerard Forgnone. It was his dads dune rail. A few years ago he was looking for it and I beleve he found it and is/was restoring it. He was telling me his dad used to get used Fire truck air filters from the local station as they changed them out at regular intervals regardless of mileage so often they were very clean and free is good.

Thanks for posting these!

14. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Your welcome! Gerard has a cool website about the discovery and restoration of his dads sand rail. I did a search on vintage sand buggies and found it.

15. Pour Bird

Pour Bird

Although this thread is over 5 years old, here is some info you might find of interest. Hot Rod magazine and Rod & Custom magazine covered the dune buggy scene dating back to the 1950s. The evolution of the dune buggy is like like the early Hot Rod days in that someone was always trying to come up with something to improve/maximize performance. Moreover, up through the late 1960s, the notion of a dune buggy industry didn't exist thus most guys were building their own buggies or doing it with friends. They utilized used parts and many fabricated their own buggies and parts to cope with the challenges of sand. Sand is still one of the last places where one can stand on the gas at speed with very few regulations and restrictions. It was and continues to be an extreme motorsport. The largest online collection of old school buggies can be found at the following link. You'll see these were Hot Rods for the sand regardless the powertrain.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-...-Sand-Rails/229443403847250?ref_type=bookmark