Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage boats,who alls got em

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by hvychvy, Feb 1, 2007.

1. tkhube

tkhube

Owensboro Hydrofare Races. Does anyone have any pictures of the Races that were held on the Ohio River in the 60s & 70s The Sterrits championship winning ydroplains.

2. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hey guys, If any is working with a vintage boat and is using Chrysler stuff I have a marine set up (1955) that I do not need. P.M. me if interested.
    MickeyC.

3. My bro's old hydro, restored by him several years ago. A national champ in its
    class '72, piloted by Chip Hanauer. 700lbs. ready to race; a very favorable
    power to weight ratio; quite the blast to drive.....

Attached Files:

4. Turmoil

Turmoil
    from CA / FI

One-off built in '36-'37. Originally had a '36 engine, but years of saltwater killed it. Previous owner found little used ´53 8BA stationary engine.

May '09
    [​IMG]
    Summer '09
    [​IMG]
    8BA engine
    [​IMG]
    Summer '37
    [​IMG]

Short clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h8Gd9J2WRg

5. alsancle

alsancle

Wow that is cool.

6. waltspuffer

waltspuffer

This is whats under the Red cover up this page a few replys with the L88 powered ski boat....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A pair of L88`s in this one...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I love those old Glastrons. I recently sold my 1980 CVX-16. Modified 140 OMC with an 85 HP motor cover. Drilled exhausts gave it a unique rasp - boat was a real sleeper and bulletproof. Since I sold it to a friend I can still run it once in a while.

8. duste01

duste01

Attached Files:

9. Wow, that FH boat above is too cool!

10. smooth50

smooth50
    from MASS

I have got my grandpas 1955 Chris Craft Cavalier that my Dad and I are going to freshen up this Spring. It is much like a Ski Nautique but hull is mahogany plywood.

My Dad has a 17' 1942 Chris Craft Barrel Back. all varnished mahogany. Restored and for sale. I will hate to see it go. If I had a big house, I would put it in the living room...

Wish I had pics on this computer.

11. alsancle

alsancle

12. smooth50

smooth50
    from MASS

wanted to add pics. I love this boat and will be sad to see it get sold.

Attached Files:

13. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Real nice boat!!...more pics please, and tell us about it. You can share the other CC also...please!
    Where are you in MA?

14. smooth50

smooth50
    from MASS

Keith,

I am in Boxford. You know, the other side of the tracks as Paras refers to it.

I have plenty more pics that I can post but they are not on this computer. I will find some of the '55 too- she is more of a custom.

-Tristen

15. blt2go

blt2go

i have a '56 arkansas traveler 14' aluminum boat that was two tone blue with a matching 7 horse evinrude motor. the colors are almost identical to the '56 belair of my great uncles that i am restoring so i figured i would do the boat and give it to him also. he lives in michigan so he's got a better chance of getting the bottom of a boat wet than i do. i had heard rumor that some dealer in arkansas was putting these combos together at his dealership that's why they were painted the same. it sounds good even if it isn't true.

16. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I picked up a 1960 SpeedQueen from a guy who was leaving town,I was working at a boat shop and he pulled in and offered me the boat,trailer and a 1958 Evinrude for $100,Still sitting after 3 years.

17. flyin-t

flyin-t

I'd like to see some more shots of that early out drive that duste posted.

George Riley, same guy that brought us banger speed equipment, is really the father of the modern out drive. He built his in the early 30's, he didn't invent the I/O that was in 1895, but his design was superb and powered with a flathead was very fast for the day and even featured a trimming device for the lower unit.

His designs and patents were infringed upon by Volvo and by the time this happened he was a old man and couldn't afford to tackle them in court.

He also built a monster of an outboard in the 50s when every one else was building 40 hp engines he offered his 75. I know two guys that each have one of these, one of them also has a brand new powerhead as well. The 5 cylinder engine used Harley Davidson parts inside like rods and pistons.

Sure would like to be lucky enough to stumble across one of Riley's V8s!

18. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Paras who???????:D

Holy shit, Tristen, those boats are awesome. I don't see you post often, so I didn't put the screen name with you. email me some pics of them when you have a chance, I'd love to see more.
    OT...I want to stop out and catch all you guys some Wed night if you ever make it to Peagrody...let me know, it's been a while!

Keith

19. 24riverview

24riverview

"I'd like to see some more shots of that early out drive that duste posted."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. alsancle

alsancle

Too Fri&&gn cool!!!

21. southerncad

southerncad

I hate to admit it but "old boat disease" is as bad on you as "old car disease":D
    And if you think (admit to) the fact that your hot rod is never finished just try a
    boat.........and yup someday, the '49 Cad and the Woodie (boat) may be finished:) Maybe!

Attached Files:

22. I scored a FREE 1955 Johnson 10HP Sea Horse outboard this weekend. Now I gotta find a boat to put under it! I am thinking a sensible wooden fishing boat AND a hotrod like Kiwi Kev posted!

23. kinda in to fin boats - have a 55 and 60 Lone Star...plan on bringing a fiberglass fin boat to the Pate swap meet...the end of the month...

24. Ob1

Ob1

I have one of these, in much rougher shape, that I would give to someone who would {hopefully} put it ship-shape.

'57 Dunphy runabout, and a '57 Evinrude 35

[​IMG]

25. HOLYSHIT !!! Im creaming from this boat !! So storys of finding something like this really does happen ? How is it now ? Any pics ?

26. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I've wanted a "second home" for a long time. Like an old Matthews or Chris Craft yacht from the 50's. You can pick up project boats for free or next to nothing and then spend the rest of your life working on them and die broke but near the water. Someday...
    I did restore a 59 Glastron FireFlight about nine years ago. Neat boat and tons of fun vintage accessories you can blow your money on.

27. Here's the fabulous M.V. SnotRocket, my 66 Thermoglass with the original evinrude 40 and in the pic its sporting a 1970 Eska 5 horse kicker for slow trolling. That's my one-eyed springer spaniel April 'keeping an eye on it' while I go grab the trout rods. I got this boat in a 3 way trade for a car trailer I didn't want, the original owner had bought it in 66, used it at his cabin on Okanagan lake for 2 years, and then it mostly sat in the garage for the next35 years. Last year I gave the awesome running 40 horse to a collector for 'future considerations' and re-powered it with a late 90s 50 horse. I take it out salmon fishing a few miles offshore in Juan de Fuca strait and wanted something more powerful and reliable. I'd like a newer bigger boat, but this one just does the job so well....

Attached Files:

28. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------------------------
    "Cool"??? No....way more than just "cool" - that is
    one of the most gorgeous, sexy, classy, beautiful
    dashboards I've ever seen in a boat!! It absolutely
    reeks of 1950's opulence, excess and grandeur!

Mart3406
    =====================================

29. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Found these sitting outside in a storage yard by me : several drag/jet boat hulls, and a finned, '50's fiberglass hull...

Attached Files:

30. boldventure

boldventure

Here are a few from the concours at palo Alto earlier this year.

Attached Files: