Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Vintage Air" technical questions? Dodge or DeSoto quys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fine me, Jun 15, 2012.

1. fine me

fine me

<table class="bbstable" align="center" cellspacing="1" width="95%"><tbody><tr><td class="messagemiddle" height="150" valign="top">
    </td><td class="messagemiddle" valign="top">[​IMG] Hi, Guys:

I'm thinking of installing the "Mark 1V" under-dash AC unit by Vintage Air, on my '57 DeSoto Firesweep (original V-8 90 degree, 325 polyspherical engine) but I'm having some problems doing so. The Firesweep has "a lot of Dodge" in it.

I was speaking on the phone with the Vintage Air tech guys and they stated that they don't know a lot about Mopars; neither does the local Vintage Air installer.

They didn't know what pulleys would be used on a '57 Firesweep (my car has no power steering), and advised me to check with other Mopar and Desoto - Dodge owners to see if anyone has experience with such things.

They also need to know what type of compressor bracket would fit (for a V-belt 508 Sanden compressor).

Here's the AC unit: http://www.vintageair.com/catalog11/pg50wc.pdf

Here's the compressors: http://www.vintageair.com/catalog11/pg65wc.pdf

Does anyone have any info or experience regarding this type of thing: pulleys and compressor brackets, etc.?

I'll not be installing this AC myself, but have a Vintage Air installer in my city.

Thanks in advance for any help!</td></tr></tbody></table>

2. Googlesearch for or Call Alan Grove Components,Louisburg Ks,If he cant answer this question you are on your own......

3. fine me

fine me

Thanks, choprods!

Will do. :)

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Your car basically IS a '57 Dodge with a 325 Poly V8. All drivertain and underhood parts are shared between Dodge and Firesweep.

5. fine me

fine me

Did I not just say that? :rolleyes:

6. If you can find someone who has an old after market Ac on a junker your in luck. Parts are tough for what your doing under the hood. The old York compressor bracket can be converted to usr the sander style compressor. PUlleys on the junker will help. Other than that good luck.

7. flamin01a

flamin01a

Try Desoto national club webpage, or Andy Bernbaum. Chrysler dealers used add 0n because of the high price of factory air.

8. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

If you can't find any "bolt on" brackets, those compressors look pretty easy to build custom brackets for. A good Hot Rod shop should be able to make some or you could get some cardboard and spacers and give it a go yourself.

9. whitedawg

whitedawg

I have the Vintage Air Cool/Heat/Defrost installed in my 60 Dodge w/440.
    Shoot me a pm and I'll get you pictures of my setup. Works great:D

10. fine me

fine me

:D
    Thanks, all, for your help!

I am glad to hear that there is hope.

I attended a car show this past weekend and the temperature was well over one hundred every day of the show.

I am sure ready for some AC!

:cool:

11. I bet it's fun driving that whale in 100 degree weather with no A/C!

12. Gator

Gator

You can also pick up the 'universal' brackets as shown below to fit Sanden style AC compressors. Fabbing up the rest of the mount should be fairly easy..

[​IMG]

13. Cool, who makes those?

14. Gator

Gator

Vintage air, part # is 15115-VUB .

15. fine me

fine me

Yep! Just call me Ishmael... :D

The breeze from the sidelights helps a lot until I slow down...then it's heatstroke time.

Thanks for all of the good info, guys!

:)

16. fms427

fms427

I'm putting the same unit on my 66 Buick Special convert - with the Buick 300 V8 - same issue . I'm using the Vintage Air universal brackets shown above, and working with Flat-Top Bob ( Owen Salvage) to find some pulleys. Best bet is to find an AC car in the junkyard to find pulleys (and maybe brackets, but not usually for Sanden compressor...:D) Might also check a shop manual for your year to see the factory set-up....or find an AC car at a show. If you have an uncommon car or engine, need a lot of research to figure out how to do it - your installer probably isn't going to do it for you - but it can be done !!