Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vin # location on a 1959 Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAD ROD, Apr 9, 2007.

1. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Where is the vin number located on a 1959 Ranchero? I do not have a plate on the door jam and no plate on the firewall.

I am heading to DMV to get a title/registration and I can’t find the vin number on the car!

I do have an old registration slip showing the license number and vin number. So, I know what the number is, but I will probably have to take the car to get verified.

Mike

2. Should have a plate on the door hinge post driver side.

There are frame #'s, I just dont remember where right now.

Dont go near the dmv until you find some #'s.

3. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Hmmm, I found the holes where the vin # plate is suppost to go, but it is gone - no vin plate.

Anybody know where else vin numbers might be on a 1959 ford?

Or can I order a reproduction vin plate?

Mike

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It is illegal to reproduce VIN tags.

5. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

OK, I thought I would bring this up to the top one last time.

I went to DMV today and got all the paper work to get the car titled and registered (I also got a temp registration through May..whoo hoo!). The one last item I need is an inspection by a law inforcement officer including verifying the vin #.

Does anyone know if Ford put the vin number on any other location than the plate on the door jam?

Mike

6. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I thought I would answer my own question here to help others.

I drove my '59 Ranchero to my local DMV office for a Vin # verification. Being that I didn't have a vin plate, they scoured the car looking for the secondary number. They eventually pulled out an old book, published in the early 1970's showing the location of vin numbers on old cars.

The book showed that the vin number on my 1959 should be stamped on the top of the frame, passenger side near the firewall. We went out to the car and there it was! Barely visible under the rust and layers of paint. The dmv official used a couple of wire brushes and a flash light to clean up the frame and read most of the numbers.

I now have a registration and a new title will be mailed to me!

Mike

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If it were me. I'd try to make that area easy for a policeman to read at 2 in the morning on the side of the road.:D

8. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Hee, hee, hee...good point. I think I will buy one of those illegal vin plates and rivet it to the door jam - nice and easy to read. :D

Mike