Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vin location help 48 Ford truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PhilJohnson, Nov 6, 2009.

1. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I bought a 48 Ford F-6 with no title. So after some talking to the DMV they gave me a form to fill out and I have to get the locations of the VIN verified by a law enforcement officer. I found the ones on the cab but I was wondering if there are any on the frame. The police officer I talked to is willing to come out and do it but he doesn't want to have to search for anything so I have to find it before he comes out and inspects it.

2. Here's where they are on my 51 F1.
    Not sure if the numbers are in the same place in '48, but I suspect so.

Driver side stamped in the firewall.
    Passenger side is a rivited tag.
    Frame stamped. (the location could be slightly foward of where I indicated)
    [​IMG]

firewall tag
    [​IMG]

tag screwed inside glovebox door.
    [​IMG]

3. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Thanks LowKat that is what I needed :) The VIN numbers on the cab were easily found but I had no clue where to look on the frame. Hopefully they are in the same location on the much heavier duty F-6.

4. If it's not on the passenger side, look on the drivers side in the same location. I know of a few that were stamped there. Must'a been a left handed number stamper on the assembly line. Sometimes the stamp can be very faint. On my F1 it's plain as day, on my F3 parts truck you can hardly read it.

5. Hemi Dude

Hemi Dude
    from Dayton Oh

one Tag should be inside the cab on the glove-box door...

6. Swifster

Swifster

I'm not sure about the F6, but on a F1 to F4 the serial number and engine number are the same on the 1948 Ford truck. The numbers are located on the glove box door and on the LEFT side of the frame near the steering gear mounting bracket. The first four digits indicate the year, series and number of cylinders. The rating plate attached to the glove box door on each model indicates the maximum gross vehicle weight, certified net horsepower at specified R.P.M., engine series and model identification number.

Serial number should look similar to 88RC 139260 (would be a 1/2-ton F1 with a V8).

7. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Well I took a look at it. Sure shootin' it was printed on the passenger side rail above the front axle. Luckily for me it is easily readable :) Thanks everyone I would have had no idea where to even start otherwise.

8. Miguello

Miguello

Will it be a problem if the number plate on the firewall was removed? It's not on or in the truck anywhere? I didn't see anything on the glovebox door, I'll look closer. I am also planning to swap the chassis. What do you do then. Is it still the chassis the vehicle goes by, or does it then become whatever the body is?

9. 2racer

2racer

In texas you can get in trouble quick if you don't follow the rules, check first with dps, I do know you have to file forms if you do a cab swap or frame swap.