Register now to get rid of these ads!

vin likes diesel m.o

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vin likes diesel, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Done a long one today/night, made two plates to block holes on the inlet after removing the original after burner exhaust.
    Fitted a new clutch centre plate.
    Put the engine and gearbox back in its home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Not much today, played with some ideas for the fog light and the reverse light. Ended up with a lucas rear light for the fog as i had one and the reverse light is a projector fog light again i had in stock and as i did not want to weld up the fuel filler i mounted the reverse light there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

This came in the post today all the way from australia. cost abit but there you go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Coming along nicely. How much power do you think you´ll be getting out of this?

5. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Not alot really, i think they are 100bhp. I have a 13b engine which i was going to supercharge with a mercedes kompressor, again not really trying to get a lot of horse power just a bit more low down torque.

thanks for the comment.

cheers vin

6. Hell, even 100hp will move it along pretty damn well. I hear the rotary tuners get insane amounts of power out of these when turboed.

Looking forward to seeing it back together.

7. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

It would but i have taller tyres with a 3.54 diff ratio which might be abit of a drag on the engine, the good thing is as i am using the jeep cherokee axle and it being 4x4 and they want to put bigger tyres on they make alot of better ratios

It should be good for bonneviele salts at the moment

in theory 2000 revs = 60 miles per hour and these rev to 7000

I lose 500 revs for the diff ratio, and another 300 revs for the tyres.

Will have to suck it and see.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  8. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Bit more done. i have one export red lense and i am in the process of tinting the orange on one other.
    Not the best painting by far but just need it watertight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Bit more paint done and one red lens plus the other one equals two.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

And then some more got done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Had a slight dumb moment today, the gas bottle has not been sitting in it's proper position,ie, on the back of the welder and all the welding has been just down one side, so i go to move the welder and the bottle stayed where it was until it tilted and wobbled but to late, the front wing luckily took most of the shock and then it bounced on the floor buggering the gauge. lucky the panels are not the best ones.lol.
    [​IMG]

Also gave the rear wings a blow over, i left the dents and warts for now as i want to source better ones later on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Had a day of fiddling with hoses to get everything joined up, some things take all the time and then you run out of jubilee clips. Also have no water up the workshop so had to go to tescos and bulk buy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Missed a couple of weeks but had a bit of time up there today, little jobs always take so long.
    The twin coils are now mounted so the wing had to come off and on again.
    The rear wings are bolted on both sides.
    The exhaust is all bolted up and also heated the the front out let to bend back abit because I want to run the same back tyres on the front.
    The rad is finally all bolted in,so basically i was just bolting stuff on.lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

A crazy mess of wiring, I am using the mazda loom to make life simple, well hopefully anyway. the loomtape has been taken off and the bulk head throughs have been cut so now its just sorting where it all goes under the bonnet. I have deleted some so far including the pop up headlights so the plan is to connect all the bits i know then look in the manual to see whats left and cut out whats not needed.
    Some areas will need shortning so all this will be done at the same time. Also i am only starting with the wiring under the bonnet then the wiring to the rear of the car and last but not least the inside of the car, as the steering column is the mazda one that should be okay.
    [​IMG]

15. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

very different, but it has cool lines. good job

16. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Cheer for that, hoping to have it fired up in the next couple of weeks. I could hot wire it now but i want to start it on the key.

cheers vin

17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I missed this thread somehow; unfortunately as I've got a four-door Minor and some radical but sadly inconstant plans for it. A Subaru EJ engine has featured at various times, but I kept running up against the positions of the exhaust ports overlapping the chassis legs. I never really considered simply lopping the legs off. One would need to be clever putting back the triangulation in the lower suspension arm: compression strut to a position just above/below/outboard of the torsion bar?

I've always liked the Morris-Minor-inflated-with-a-bicycle-pump MOs, but I didn't realise the resemblance extended to the internal architecture as much as it does.

18. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Hi, the front tie bars from the outer torsion bars to the front xmember as it would have been will now go to the new engine cradle as this is removeable is not in the picture. Also still need to make the brackets.

Also as can be seen in the picture is the inner wings are not symetrical at the chassis. one side is wider than the other. Why i do not know.
    cheers vin

19. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Here you can see the engine mount/ tie bar mount, unfinished in the picture, there are two gussets to go on the vertical tubes either side with a bolt through the chassis to stop forward and rearward movement , but you can see how the tie bars will tie in and in the postion.
    [​IMG]

20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I see it; thanks Vin.

I spent the night trying to figure out how to make an EJ cantilever off the leg stubs and the crossbar that's got the lever-arm dampers on it. For some reason I'm liking the idea. The tie bars would mount to the sturdy steel backing plate of a redesigned cam-belt cover (casting an ally one that more looks the part has long been part of the plan). Still not sure if I'm going that route, though.

21. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What are those wheels? I love them!

22. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Hi, the wheels are vw t2 Brm's , they are 5x112mm pcd so i redrilled my front hubs and used adapters on the rears to bring the wheel out into the arch, they come in 4 1/2 x 15 or 5 1/2 x 15.

I could not afford saltflats so settled for these, glad i did now. they cost £40 each delivered as they were shop soiled new old stock.
    cheers vin

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Vin, it's your fault I'm scratching my head all over again! But I've ascertained that Subaru EJs are cantilevered off bellhousings all the time on sandrails and buggies; that I can get the tie bars to work; and that there is actually someone who makes a bellhousing to mate an EJ to a Toyota W55/7/8/9 'box. Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep the rack-and-pinion from occupying the same space as the starter.

24. tjmercury

tjmercury

This thing is turning into a pretty awesome mo-chine (sorry, couldn't help myself) I can't wait to see the finished product!

25. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

You might be able to do what they done over here in blighty when they put a fiat twin cam in a minor and notched out the bellhousing for the rack. or you could use a transaxle and have the gearbox to the rear bit like the volvo340.

I have crazy ideas some times.lol.
    Does the scooby have a trans axle /gear box with two shafts for front wheel and ashaft to the rear axle?

if it would fit behind you in the rear floor as a unit, you could use the front struts on the rear.

cheers vin

26. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

LOL, not bad my mate said to me a name for the green one with the chevy in it.

High Output Morris Oxford which when he pointed out the short version
    H.O.M.O I thought better of it .lol.

cheers vin

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Neither the bellhousing notch nor the rearward transaxle would solve my starter motor problem! I'm thinking that relocating the rack, even a little, might.

As far as I know the Subaru transaxle has pretty much the same layout as the Audi Quattro 'box, i.e. input shaft driving hollow layshaft/cluster with centre diff at the back of it; centre diff driving forward through layshaft/cluster to front diff and rearward to propshaft and rear diff. They've had their centre diffs locked and front diffs removed to produce RWD only (for "drifting", apparently) but I understand they're not the sweetest-shifting 'boxes.

My Alfisto cousin suggested an Alfetta transaxle in the back when I was thinking in terms of Alfasud power. It didn't take, really.

But let me not hijack your thread: back to your MO :D

28. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

No hijacking done. Its good to have a talk through things to solve problems as normally it is the simplest of ideas that work.

cheers vin

29. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

well not much to report, just got up there today and a mate pointed me in the right direction with the colours as i am colour blind, so once the wires that i was unsure of were marked i carried on.
    I have got most of the front loom shortened and going to where it should.
    The rear lights are wired plus the fuel pump wiht the fuel gauge as well.
    inside all i have managed to do is connect the column
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Well, i have now got some electrics after a few problems, one being that the plugs to the column switches 2 of which are the same so my wiper plug was on the head lights vice versa.
    side lights all round
    indicators and hazards lights
    main and dipped
    electric fuel pump
    number plate light with third brake light
    all dash lights.
    Thats about it for now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status: