Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs VIN Decode on 56 Chevy Panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by logic2, Sep 6, 2019.

1. logic2

logic2

Help-

I'm buying a 56 Chevy Panel but want to be sure the Title and VIN are good. I have looked but cannot tell if this VIN number is for a Chevy Truck or a Panel - or if Chevy included a different number to identify it as a Panel.

This old truck appears to have the original stainless steel vin tag on the upper driver's door frame but it only has the first 4 digits of the VIN... 3B56. I cannot see the other digits.

VIN: 3B56K0020xx
    Question 1: Do any of the letters above identify this old truck as a Panel ?

Question 2: Has anyone ever seen only the first 4 digits on a VIN tag and not the others ?

Thanks for any help
    Mike

2. squirrel

squirrel

The other numbers are probably there, stamped more faintly. There in no information in the serial number (VIN) about the body.

Sent from my Trimline

logic2 likes this.
  3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Look on the top of the frame rail between the radiator and the front axle, it should be stamped there. drivers side.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Is this a Panel Truck, or a Sedan Delivery? Just for clarity, both were built, titled, and licensed as Trucks. Deliveries were in truck brochures, but not in passenger car brochures, although they are essentially a 2 door Station Wagon with rear side panels of steel instead of windows, and have a one piece lift gate instead of a 2 piece tailgate. Also, a Delivery would have a "D" in the VIN. In Passenger cars, A was for a Model 150,k B was for a Model 210, C was for a Bel Air, and D for a Delivery (sort of confuses the truck VS car issue, does't it?). 56 would be the year for either. It also gets confusing when lots of guys use the wrong terms; Panel for Delivery and such. I'm guessing you have an actual Panel Truck. Would't mind having one of those. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

lumpy 63 likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Is a truck serial number, not a car. Good suggestion to look on the frame, but it will be missing the first two characters, and will be closer to the steering box. Also another stamp under the driver seat, on top of the frame, which is hard to see with the body still on the frame.

Sent from my Trimline

lumpy 63 likes this.
  6. Last edited: Sep 8, 2019