Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 'Vette Hack 1.0

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 22, 2018.

1. X-cpe

X-cpe

I don't see this as being sold as Hot Rod gospel. It is more like here's something that was tried in the past, wonder how it worked out. If they (we) didn't try off the wall stuff, how would we know what does and doesn't work. Besides, no line is defined until someone crosses it. As to it being rat roddish, if you look at what construction details can be seen, only its lack of shiny paint falls into that category in my opinion.

czuch, hugh m, gimpyshotrods and 2 others like this.
  2. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

I like seeing this car in these pages...I've never seen anything quite like it and it is a for-sure hotrod. I'd be embarrassed being seen getting into some of the strange cars we've seen here. But these strange cars are always very interesting, provoking questions as to who built it, how it met their expectations, what are the car's weak and strong points, what the public opinion was of the car in its day, what caused them to build it and what happened to it. Stogy has put some really strange cars in here as of late and they all beg answers.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I guess I'm the one dissenting HAMBER, but this is the ugliest and most misguided Corvette I think I've ever seen. Pull the body off, and there's a drag car underneath! JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Chili Phil likes this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

I saw that same pic earlier this week on f...book. Man, can't believe there's No comments! So....mine was, Now, That's Different! What a find that would be, I like the notion of going to an NCRS show. After an appropriate long, smoky burnout ( done safely, of course), someone yells, "What the Hell are you doing?" Says right here, All cars Must be Driven onto the show field! Where do you want it? Yep, noticed the Split window Bug, too. 34 Coupe, thanks for the history.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  5. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Wow! Depending on your age, and how often you went to the drags, it wasn't uncommon to see cars (?) like this. As far as Calif. cars, how about Peanuts the "65" Ford LTD 4door running as a funny car. It just seems as if there are a lot of Corvette haters who now have a chance to rant.

J.Ukrop, bowie, Hnstray and 1 other person like this.
  6. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

That was the day when drag cars could and often did look quite differently from one another. Today, every class has cars that look-alike except for gaudy billboard paint jobs and too many decals. You can't even tell the brand of body in funny car. I've long hoped that they would have a traditional hotrod class requiring pre-1940 closed-car bodies. That won't happen, of course. That's a big reason that we are so enamored with rods and race cars from pre-1970.

czuch likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I built a clone today, I would be told that it was not traditional, and that no car was done like that, way back when.

czuch, hugh m, enloe and 3 others like this.
  8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

This was a low buck altered that was weekended into a street roadster so it had a chance at a trophy, nothing more than that. Not everyone had a Frank Kurtis to build their cars.

J.Ukrop and kidcampbell71 like this.