Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Venting backing plates

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by george.barnes.754, Apr 18, 2018.

1. I found a set of backing plates this afternoon, the Ford 40-48 style. Traded a guy a torque tube for them and should have them in hand in a week or 2. There was somebody that offered a venting service for them but I can not find it now. Does anyone know who it was? Guy is also going to look and see if ge has a front set as well (pretty sure he thinks he does) and would like to get all 4 done in 1 shot. Now, what do I need to know about these? Because I'm pretty sure they're unlike the 60s era setups I'm used to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What kind of venting? Simply drilling holes in them or something more exotic? I have 2 sets of 47 front backing plates. One with holes and one without. Won't need either set if you are interested.

3. Little more exotic than that. These were a mesh screen insert.

4. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Get a set of Buick finned AL drums for the 60's if you want improved fade resistance. Holes let water in during wet conditions. Scary when brake shoes are wet.

pecker head and Elcohaulic like this.

5. 1927graham and DeLuxe 32 like this.
  6. I am running fins. Although mine are cast iron.

Rich that's who it was. Hot Rod did a write up on them a couple years ago.

7. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

I remember that article with screens in the backing plates. Do a HAMB search. It should pop up.

8. 35C098AE-8A1F-4A21-AF5F-787D73065544.jpeg
    Boling Brothers used to have them and I just checked their site and did not seem them. But check with them anyway.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

That shouldn't be very difficult to do yourself.

11. True; but these screens are all about looks.

Personally, I like the old time cast aluminum scoops; plus scoops can still look good without compromising the backing plate with holes that will let water in.

46international likes this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

I think the Haze City guy retired and all his stuff is now sold through Walden's.

13. Alchemy I was looking and it appears his website no longer exists so I'm kinda thinking the same thing.

48fordnut likes this.
  14. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

It's not Rocket Science, I used M-T Products '40 Lincoln backing plates, cut a few holes, pressed/embossed stainless steel screen to fit the opening and silicone bronzed welded to inside of backing plate. Just for fun I rotated the backing plate putting the wheel cylinder on the bottom, don't like seeing the ugly brake hose hanging in the breeze. I ran the brake line along the back of the I-Beam basically out of sight.

P1010054.JPG

Shadow Creek, fauj, 117harv and 8 others like this.
  15. Actually Rich B brought up an option I hadn't thoight about. And after a google image search I think I want to run unpolished scoops to match all the ither unpolished aluminum on the car. Does anybody happen to have a of juice backing plates cut for these and off the car? I'd like to see how they mount from the inside?

16. Greezeball

Greezeball

Did you swap the backing plates side for side when you flipped them to keep the leading shoe as the leading shoe?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. ratrod0

ratrod0

Here' my old coupe 20180419_123230.png

pigfluxer, woodz, wvenfield and 2 others like this.
  18. I found these. And I think they're what I want. And the picture I'm really looking for is a backing plate with these installed from the inside (shoe side)[​IMG]

19. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Yes and I swapped the wheel cylinders so the fittings came out to the rear and the bleeder valve was on top so the brakes could be bleed in the normal fashion...

20. OTB's scoops remind me of the bilge scoops on a boat; while the scoops the ratrod0 posted above say HOTROD.

alchemy likes this.
  21. There's going to be a bunch if other finned aluminum on the car (valve cover, side covers, timing cover, dash insert, all 4 brake drums) so I think they will fit in well.

22. Next stupid question, does anyone know if 47 anchor pins are the same as pre 43? Or for that matter have the picture of how it all goes together with the ford part numbers on it?

23. goldmountain

goldmountain

I agree. Years ago I was working on an old VW bug in the rain and the brakes wouldn't work. I was told by a VW enthusiast that the hubcaps were needed to cover the two holes in the front side of the drum to keep the water out. Since then I've been leery of drilling my backing plates even though I like the look it gives. Do you guys with drilled backing plates have problems in the rain?

24. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Just for the record, Haze City is still going strong check out instagram. I bought a set of screens off him about 4 months ago.

25. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I have the ones pictured. do not know where they came from any more. there was a how to in Street Rodder Magazine a few years ago on how to install them.

26. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I guess I am a puss, I don't drive mine in the rain, because of no fenders. open wheeled cars are terrible in the rain, and I do not have a hood either. I would be spending all week to get it cleaned again. If it looks like rain, I take the '51 Merc. nice dry, comfortable, and warm.

27. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might be thinking about Brian Bass @ BassCustom in Dallas. He specializes in converting '40-'48 Ford backing plates to the later style braking while appearing to be "stock" flathead brakes. He might do venting, too. He is a really nice guy and does quality work. He built that beautiful, blue '34 5-W that Ass Monkey owns.

28. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy shit ! I feel so sorry for you having to drive that old '51 in lieu of the highboy when it rains. LOL

Alaska Jim likes this.
  29. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

It's been years (decades?) since l've worked on early Ford brakes, but as I recall, the wheel cylinder acts on both shoes, which are pivoted individually at their bottoms. The leading shoe (the one that a segment of the drum rotates toward after passing the wheel cylinder, NOT necessarily the one towards the front of the car) is still the leading shoe, after the backing plate has been rotated 180 degrees. This wouldn't matter generally, but i believe the leading ("self-energised") and trailing shoes in Ford's design have two distinct differences, specifically the lining area (length), and the wheel cylinder (stepped) area. These differences should be consider before any right to left side swapping is done.
    With regard to bleed location, I think the bleed screw is on the side, so swapping upside-down cylinders from side to side doesn't improve bleedability. I could be wrong, if the cylinders have an internal passage from the cylinder top to the bleed screw.

30. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Who makes the scoops on 'Ratrodo's car?