Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vented caps/ 34 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3banjos, Nov 25, 2011.

1. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Running original gas tank in my coupe. Has the original vented cap, no added air-vent in top of tank.
    Question. To keep the vented cap, has there ever been a part made to go in filler neck to avoid fuel spillage when closer to full tank, or on rapid acceleration.
    cheers

2. I see where Bob Drake now sells a '34 Ford tank with a "flow back" baffle in the neck (wish he had that a few years ago when I bought my tank from him). I haven't seen anything similar that you can add to an existing tank, but will watch this thread for updates.

Re. the problem of gas sloshing out around the cap, I went to a sporting good store and bought a couple of black elastic sweat bands for around the wrist. Slip them around the gas filler neck and they absorb the excess fuel and allow it to evaporate before it stains the paint on the panel around the filler neck. Works ok and is barely noticed next to the black rubber filler neck grommet, plus the bands were less than $5 for a pack of two.

Jim

Attached Files:

3. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Thanks for the idea. The bands will work fine while I design some type of baffle for filler tube. Should start with a new cork cap gasket too. Cheers