Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vanishing Americana--the drive in movie theater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, May 5, 2010.

1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Here's some info on the CT drive-ins:

There are only 2 remaining open. Pleasant Valley Drive-IN in Barkhamsted, CT and Mansfield Drive-IN on route 32.

There was once over 40 drive-ins operating in the small state of CT.

Bridge Drive-IN- Located on Highway 1 in Groton, CT. Torn down to make-way for a public library. In the 70's when they started showing adult films; neighbors complained and eventually the drive-IN closed. Car capacity was 750 cars

Berlin Drive-IN- Located on the Berlin Turnpike in CT. Was one of many theaters in "The Pike". It was a favorite in the state. It was a first run theater until the 70's when it switched to adult films. It was demolished in the 80's to make way for a strip mall

Blue Hills Drive-IN- Bloomfield, CT. Car capacity was 500. Property is still vacant

Bowl Drive-In- West Haven, CT. in 2005 screen was demolished to make way for industrial park. It closed in 1979.

Canaan Drive-In - Was located in Canaan, CT

Candlelight Pix- Bridgeport, CT

Center Drive-IN - Derby, CT. It was a huge drive in (900 cars) and was owned/run by B. Jacocks. BJ's Warehouse currently resides on the old drive-in. It was closed by 1974 and sat vacant for years.

Clinton Drive-In - Clinton, CT. Torn down in the 80's to make way for a Stop & Shop. Car Capacity was 710

Danbury Drive-In - Danbury,CT. Opened in Sept. 6th 1949 with a capacity of 450 cars. Closed in 1984. The last film shown was Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Car capacity was expanded to 908 cars at one time. last run by SBC theaters. It was supposed to be the new Saturn of Danbury in 2005ish.

Danielson-Putnam Twin Theater- Danielson, CT. In 200 the concession stand, screens, and large sign/entryway still existed. in 2005 they brush-hogged the property to keep it clear. screen still staning, sign is gone. Still vacant...ready to be re-opened :)

East Hartford Family drive-in- South Windsor, CT. Has been empty since i was little and can remember staring at the big old screens. Concession booths and screens are still there. large empty lot. was owned by the SBC chain. asking price for the land is in the couple of millions of dollars. Marquee, concession booth, screen skeleton, ticket booth are still there.

East Windsor drive-IN- East windsor, ct. built in the 40's. torn down in the 80's for condos. Car capacity was 650

Farmington drive-In - Farmington, Ct. Was an E.M. Loews theater. Closed and torn down in '86 fr condos. Stated to be opened in '57. Over 1,100 car capacity in '75.

Groton Drive In- Groton, CT. Torn down in '86 for a shopping center. showed regular movies and was also known for showing X-rated films in the 70s. No one complained becaude it was off the beaten path next to a railroad salvage company. It showed X-rated films through the early 80's

Hartford Drive In- Was also located ont he Berlin Turnpike. One of the favorites. Opened in 1947. Was one of the last standing and closed in 1996. was a flea market/x-mas tree lot before being left vacant. The old sign stood tall by the road and the place was in great shape right up until it was demo'd for a housnig development. efforts to save the drive-in and return it to its glory failed. so did Wal-mart.

Lake Drive In - Waterbury, CT.

Manchester Drive-In- Bolton, CT. Offered for sale in 2005. I think its still for sale but the state might have bought it as a "preserve". Concession stand and screen still stand. its overgrown. Opened in 1953 and closed in the early 80's. car capacity was 515

Meadows Drive-In - Hartford, CT . held 2,500 cars and was one of the largest. 6 concession lines. was owned by the Russo Brothers and leased for 20 years by general cinemas corp. It opened in 1955 and closed in 1975. It claimed it was the largest drive-in in the WORLD and it sat on 32 acres. A torn down Jai-alai (?) stood ont he spot and now a car dealership will take its place. There is also a mcdonalds, burger king, a road, and a motel on the property.

Middletown Drive In- Middletown, CT. about 900 car capacity. opened in 1955. cost 200K to build it. Middlesex Hospital now sits on the property.

Milford red and Blue Drive-In. This was CT's first drive-in. Built in 1938. 500 car capacity. It was torn down in 1988 for a showcase Cinemas. Was also a flea market on site. showcase is now closed and abandoned.

New Haven Drive-in - North Haven, CT. Opened in 1946. 500 car capacity. It is now Condos. owned by New Haven Drive in Theaters. closed in 1970. some of the land is still for sale

the list goes on....

2. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

Still going strong in Buffalo. Just added 2 additional screens over the last few years
    www.transitdrivein.com

I go at least 3 times a summer.

3. NoSurf

NoSurf

Me and my family visited the Re-Opened Kanopolis Drive-In last Friday night.

What a great venue. The weather was perfect, and the whole place is so classic.

[​IMG]

Hopefully we can get a bunch of us to head over there maybe the Friday evening after the stoplight drags the weekend of the KKOA show.

Who's in?!!!

4. Window Licker

Window Licker

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this one is on 20 3 miles east of woodville ohio, near by the sundance kid drive in is still in service. i also frequent the capri drive-in in coldwater michigan. its always a good time

5. F1-Ford

F1-Ford

Big MO. Monetta, SC Just west of Columbia, SC. Operates on a summer weekend schedule I do believe. We took our twins there a couple summers ago. They have 2 screens and a double feature. Play new movies too.

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

That is so cool Jay!

7. a few reasons why old drive ins are abandoned, one there's only a few spots in the country where one can remain open year round to actually make a profit, secondly the film industry is getting greedy, so the fees due to the studios negate making any profit from ticket sales, this leaves making a profit only from concession sales, and since cheap people like me can bring in there own stuff to eat at the drive in, there goes the concession sales. oh well....

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Tuscon had two. Now they are only the marquis signs and vacant lots. The screens are down and shopping centers will arise from the blacktop.
    Hiway 39 and the Fountain Valley Drive In were the favorites of my childhood in Socal of the 60's 70's.

9. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

All that's left is the sign. Prescott, Az.

Attached Files:

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

There's still a drive-in in operation five miles up the road from me in Unadilla. It survived the lean years, and is now a novelty; I can't think of another within 100 miles of here.

11. bjs531

bjs531

I'm lucky to have two within driving distance. Jefferson, WI and Wisconsin Dells, WI. The Jefferson drive in is always a good time, lots of local car clubs end up rolling out there with the family to have an enjoyable evening of fried goodies and entertainment.

12. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

BeatnikPirate

You're lucky that you have a sign,

We use to have four or five drive inn's in the Raleigh NC area back in the day,

last one closed in late 70's early 80's after it turned into a XXX place for a short time .
    In town no less ,Yell people where raising hell about that for sure.UNTIL they closed that one too....

Anyway ,like I said your lucky to have a sign ,
    We don't even rate that!

Ones a Used car lot
    Ones a Ex shopping center ,now a Rent A Center
    ones a Quick rip/7-11 store
    Ones near the main airport
    and I haven't been out to the other area for a long time...

Man my family use to love going ,then as a teen we use to go and rise cane....

Simpler times for sure............

13. crazybob

crazybob

I have a drive-in up here in North central PA. come visit this Labor Day

[​IMG]

14. Here in southington Connecticut the town owns the old Twin Drive in and it is operating every saturday night with the proceeds going to different groups. On July 22nd which is a Friday they are gonna be showing American Graffiti. Then on Saturday they are playing Grease. I know i will be there for American Graffiti for sure!

15. kooldeuce

kooldeuce

16. Deuces

Deuces

Still have one by my house! :D Probably the only one left in the State of Michigan.. The Ford-Wyoming Drive-In..
    Used to take my Ford pick'em up truck there and backed it in... I'd open up the hillbilly air conditioner (back window) then propped up a couple of foldouts in back and cranked the stereo up... :D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  17. Larry T

Larry T

I was visiting my kids in Graham, Texas a couple of weeks ago and noticed they still have an operating drive-in there. They don't think anything of it, since it's always been there.
    Larry T

http://grahamdrivein.com/

18. Arieldouglas

Arieldouglas

We have one in Watertown, TN. The owners wanted to build in a town about 12 miles away but they didn't want it. Two screens, busy every night it is open. People come from miles around.

19. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

we have two nearby, both are booming with business but one was just bought by a person who is going to tear it down to make a car dealership. It's a shame since it opened in 1951 but they will continue running for the rest of this season.

20. TJratz

TJratz

There is (was) one in Dodge City Kansas thats open during the summer.....also One just opened up recently in Guymon Oklahoma..

21. Read an article recently that said the decline of the drive-in had stopped and the industry was starting to grow again. Must be true, they just broke ground for a new on in our tiny hamlet of Hermosa SD!:cool:

22. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Georgetown, Indiana has a drive in still in business since '51. They have a '57 Chevy two door hardtop on top of their billboard. www.georgetowndrivein"dot" com. 7 miles from my house. Any HAMBer's looking for a getaway from the NSRA nats it's only a 25 minute drive from the fairgrounds in Louisville.

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

There is one within 3 miles of my house. I had to check to see if it's still open. They're running Harry Potter and Horrible Bosses. They used to only show movies that had completed their indoor run. I haven't been to a movie there since 1976. They also have Sunday morning church services so people can sow their wild oats on Saturday night and stay and pray for a crop failure.

24. We have one in Lubbock Tx that shows all year long, with 3 screens and first run movies. Just saw Harry potter/Horrible Bosses in my 30 ford coupe. Had everyone taking pictures of my car.

25. chopdtop

chopdtop

Attached Files:

26. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Here's a nice hand-painted sign that we have from the defunct Ozark Drive In that used to be in Monett, Missouri.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. Super88

Super88

Kenosha used to have two drive-in theaters years ago. One on each end of town. They had swing sets and other playground equipment for the kids and one had a small train that ran around an oval track the kids could ride on. Only the one on the south side of town remains now. The other is an apartment/condo project.

28. Tradrod51

Tradrod51

Muskegon , Mi. still has the Getty 4 open. All four screens play everynight.

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

They are about all gone around here now,we do still have a couple so I need to get off my butt and patronize them so they dont go like the rest did.