Register now to get rid of these ads!

Valve Cover Races...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigPoppaPump, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Along the lines of my past thread;

For next year, I would like to add valve cover races to my show. (For those who havent heard of it, it's basically a pinewood derby with vavle covers instead of a piece of wood) I was just wondering if anybody here has ever participated in this. Just curious on what I should do for rules. Part of me wants to encourage cheating to see what people come up with. But I dont know if it would take the fun out of it if one guy were to, say, fill the thing with cement or something. Might make it too unfair. Anybody have any stories or insight?

Thanks in advance.

2. yes i have participated in the valve cover races. i was about 10 or so when they started having the races here in alb every first tuesday at the local rod runs. if my memory is corect the valve cover racer had to be 8 or 10 lbs. the races were fun when the kids were building them but then the dads started getting involved and the average kid could not win. i did will alot when i was younger and got some cool stuff. i still have my valve cover racer at my pops house lol

3. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I have a couple old valve cover racers, got me and the kids some neat "stuff" back in the day (late 80's, early 90's). As I remember max weight was 10 lb. You can pretty well make up your own ru
    [​IMG]

les and classes though. Here's some pics of mine.

[​IMG]

4. THats exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks.

5. BUMP

[​IMG]

Would like to get this going for next year. Might be a lost cause, but I think a few people could have some fun with it...

6. Paul B

Paul B

Have two my kids use to race. My youngest did pretty good at it reaction time against grownups. I think he was about 7-8 years old.

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Great idea for kids only. 10 pounds max. No cheating of any kind allowed. No foreign make valve covers allowed.

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

have your regular 8-10lb class for kids and such, then let the big boys have an unlimited class with no rules on weight or wheels

9. yekoms

yekoms

There was valve cover races this weekend at Wheels of Time event in Macungie,PA. I think a group from Jersey brings the track and timing equipment. I'll try to find out more info for you. A couple friends of mine will still be at the show so I'll call them on the cell to get more info. PM me if you don't hear back from me in a few days...
    Smokey

10. What the hell do you do with them??? Run them on a sloped track??

11. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

12. BLAKE

BLAKE

The Barons here in TX have been doing this for a few years now...

[​IMG]

13. long island vic

long island vic

they run just like pine wood derby...there are a few differant class,s cause some assholes had too take the fun out of it...usally the host club will have loaner covers((sbc wt metel wheels))...do what ever you want but have a claimer class,, or a judges basher class....if they think your a dirt bag it gets the sledge hammer,,keeeps the cost down and the grandstands full