Register now to get rid of these ads!

Value of a 9 inch diff?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fargoguy, Jun 30, 2013.

1. fargoguy

fargoguy

A loca rod builder needs a ford 9 inch diff I have for a project he's doing for a customer. Its out of a 64 full size merc. I have no idea what the diff is worth out of my parts car. Can anyone give me a ballpark idea what it should be worth? Thanks in advance. Evan

2. Hundred bucks is what I paid for the last one I bought last year. HRP

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Even regionally, value will vary.

Buyer's view: "It's just a used core, even the ratio will have to be changed..."

Seller's view: "It's a scarce item, and I can deliver it."

Best sales pitch: "I've got a number in my head; If you can arrive at that number, we have a deal..."

Is it a complete rear axle ass'y with brakes? ...or just the 3rd member? (pumpkin)
    What is the ratio? (desireable or not?)

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$125-150 USD, if complete, Central/Northern California coast, is what I normally buy them for.

6. I grabbed one from a buddy for $150,but it was complete. The right width,bolt pattern,gear ratio.....Just flipped the spring perches. New drums,hardware, and all the goodies i'm in about $375. That's with everything....Gears,bearings,axles were great......
    Bolt in's are great,but if not,start adding things up some.

7. I started with a cheap 9" housing had it narrowed, got a set of big bearing axles for free so had to convert to big bearing housing ends, bought a rebuilt posi 3.55 for it, bought complete drum brake system for it and found out drums had been drilled for Chevy pattern so had to have them redrilled. Housing was cheap but it adds up from there.

8. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I would not pay over $100.00-150.00 for it, and it would have to be complete and with a ratio I could live with.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Find out the cost to replace it if you need another one. Around here complete 9" go for $250 to $500 (for a used one without posi or numerically high gears).

10. Remember that the asking price and the actual selling price are not the same.

In the Washington DC & Baltimore areas, plain vanilla 9" rearends, complete with drum brakes, sell for about $100-200. The pricetag goes up if it has a desirable width (Bronco)gear ratio (3.90 or 4.11) or limited slip (trac-lock).

Hope this helps.

11. terrymetal

terrymetal

I have seen them as cheap as 75 to as high as 400 depending on what come with it.....150 is probably an average price nationwide.

12. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Last one I bought cost me $500 but it had fresh gears and new bearing in it.

13. LA area 100-150 like every one else.

14. Just saw one sell in a non-ebay internet auction for $180.

Or I can go to my you-pick yard when one turns up and pay $50 or so.

15. A Rodder

A Rodder

Couple years ago I paid 300 for one complete from a 59 ford, paid it cause it was narrow. Nothing special and was just a takeout rear end.

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

$65 at the U Pull It for the entire rear axle

17. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

I picked up a complete Bronco rear with 4:11 for $250 a couple of months ago.

18. stimpy

stimpy

150 -300 depending on condition and what it was out of ( big web is more expensive ) , for compairison you can buy a new bare housing ( without pig ,axles , brakes ) with ends for $600 from Strange and thats brand new and welded stronger than the factory ones .

19. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I have a shortened case, I listed it, and no one wanted it. I assume not a lot stock anyways

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!