Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vacuum advance banger distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phred, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Phred

Phred
    from IL

After reading the following, I think there might be some benefits of improved drivability and performance to my flathead banger engine.
    http://www.corvette-restoration.com/resources/technical_papers/Timing101.pdf

Is there a vacuum advance distributor that will fit the Model A engine that has either an adjustable vacuum advance module, or an assortment of diferent vacuum modules?

Has anyone gone down this rabbit trail? I would be interested to learn what you used and/or discovered.

Thanks in advance

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I do build a new mallory just for the Model A engine. It requires some work to the advance workings as the A engine dont turn many rpm.
    On our unit we curve the advance to have a full 20 degrees of engine advance at 2000 rpm.
    The addition of a vacuum unit would be even harder to tune ( not impossible) based on the vacuum signal from the Model A engine.
    I dont think the addition would add much to the driveability of the A engine, especially if the engine has some mods like carb change , camshaft etc....