Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vac advance or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TR Waters, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Back to the OP's question..and 'street driven' being the key phrase
    I vote for 'With" and will add-'full manifold vacuum'

2. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

well, I'll add to the confusion. I run a pertronix flamethrower III dist, mechanical advance only. I couldn't be happier with it. Absolutely love the simplicity or it, and the built in CDI & Rev limiter.I can see where people are saying an "over timed" (As i'll call it, due to not knowing a difference) will lead to cooler running and better economy rolling down the highway. But i've got mine set to about 36* total timing, in at like 2,200 RPM. I set it up to basically "snap" to full timing asap with super light springs. With enough initial timing my (26-28* i think) I really wouldn't want to be adding more timing at light throttle cruse being an iron headed 11:1 motor, I'd be affraid of not making a quick enough transition and pinging. My engine runs cool enough for me, I suppose a possibility of cooler never hurt. It probably goes by a case-by-case situation. Admittedly the way I drive my car it really never spends any amount of time below 2500 RPM, except idling at a stoplight, I built the car to be light on it's feet, so i don't see how a vacuum advance would help me......Right? I mean, its always (for all intensive purpose) at full timing. I've even considered locking it out to try that for fun. I built the motor to run hard, and i run it hard, I do cruse it, but it sorta err's on the side of race(ish)car on the street. I'm relatively pretty fresh to tuning being 26, and i really try to learn all i can. It just seemed to me, that for an aggressive hotrod (is there any other type?) a mechanical advance is the ticket. I'm not in the position of giving anyone else advice, but that's my thoughts.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the street, with. I have not yet seen a car that I could not pick up a few MPG, with no loss of performance, with it present.