Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical V8 engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WTF really, Apr 25, 2018.

1. WTF really

WTF really

Is this amount of sludge normal? I got close to a quart out of it? Do I just take the head bolts out and pry the heads off? I guess I mean is there any certain order or special way I should pull the heads? This will be my first ones. 20180425_114106.jpg

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The sludge is not uncommon in an old engine. I just take the bolts out any old way. Seems OK so far.

3. squirrel

squirrel

if you want to be fancy, you could take them off in opposite order of tightening them....basically, start at the outside, and work your way in towards the center.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Looks like my first engine in my first car.

Clay Belt likes this.

5. Hombre

Hombre

I wonder how long its been since that old Flathead has been run? back in the day the oils were different there were a lot of NON detergent oils, and folks also were known to go forever between oil changes. I think that may be the reason that so many old engines have a lot of sludge in them. I have a 392 Hemi that I just got the pan and valley cover off of and it looks a lot like that flathead in the sludge department. It is not something you need to worry about.

czuch likes this.
  6. This is how I was taught and still do it that way. If you don't already have one you will need a Motors Manual that covers ,,, L.O.L..! Now that right there dates me. You young guys just use Google or something. I walk over to my book shelf. Find the head bolt torque sequence and go backwards.
    The Wizzard

czuch, warbird1, 3340 and 3 others like this.
  7. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

wtfr>>>Is this amount of sludge normal? I got close to a quart out of it? >>>

No. Close to 5 quarts of sludge would be normal. 8^) Jack E/NJ

czuch, mike bowling, Vanness and 2 others like this.
  8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Start in the middle and work your way out in a more or less circular or crisscross route

pitman and flatford39 like this.
  9. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Not quite right to loosen. Start out and work your way in. 8^) Jack E/NJ

pitman, Pist-n-Broke and squirrel like this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You guys are “rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic”......it doesn’t matter...unless you think it does. :D

To the OP....that sludge....and worse...is normal for an old engine that hasn’t been apart in a very long time, or ever.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  11. WTF really

WTF really

Thanks guys the man said it was a good engine but don't they all? Lol. I'll pull them heads tomorrow and see what it looks like in there.

czuch likes this.
  12. rusty valley

rusty valley

flatheads are usually pretty gunked up, but man, thats the worst one i've seen!

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And yet, there are still people out there recommending non-detergent oil for freshly rebuilt older engines.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  14. WTF really

WTF really

The only engine I've ever seen close to this was in a camaro and the people used Quaker State.

joel likes this.
  15. robracer1

robracer1

I remember as a kid working at a gas station in the 60's and changing oil in 50's cars that used Quaker State oil, when you took the oil pan bolt off the oil wouldn't come out so I would use a ice pick to get the oil to flow out.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Truck64, flatford39 and WTF really like this.
  16. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

You could stop by the local car wash and use the vacuum system to clean out the gunk. :p:D

czuch, kidcampbell71 and WTF really like this.
  17. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

I think it was Quaker City candle wax, not Quaker State oil. Jack E/NJ

deucemac likes this.
  18. You'd need an air chisel with the car wash vacuum to clean that gunk.

Wow, the bottom insides of my gas bbq looked cleaner than that.

19. WTF really

WTF really

After scraping as much out as I can what do I was the rest out with?

20. A good solvent is almost non existent anymore. Gas works but not a real good choice if your a smoker. Myself I use stove oil, heating oil. It works pretty well and once done with it you can use it to light your burn pile with it.
    The Wizzard

21. My flathead looked about like that. I scraped out the lifter valley, keeping the shop vac hose close to the scraper. Then I used kerosene and a couple of rags. The oil pan and heads went to the hot tank.

22. Shop boy

Shop boy

If your oil pan has the aluminum dipstick boss, you may want to drill the rivets and remove it before taking it to the hot tank.
    Some of the hot tanks will destroy the aluminum parts.
    Happened to one of mine.

biggeorge likes this.
  23. El 56

El 56

24. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Someone has done you a favor and used head bolts rather than studs. On gunked up engines with studs getting the heads off was a trial. When we had a Storm Vulcan agitating vat (extinct now) flathead V-8's would come out of the tank absolutely clean grey cast iron. Worst for nasty was Slant Sixes (but a good engine).

34toddster likes this.
  25. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

..........and if you ask them if it runs they will say "they drove it in there". Of course it has been parked there for 15 plus years. :)

czuch and WTF really like this.
  26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

As far as removing the bolts...just loosen them a turn or so on each one before trying to take them out one by one.

To remove the heads on an older flathead, you will need some type of pry bar beause the heads and gaskets will be stuck (almost glued) to the block. Be very carefull when you pry the heads so that you don't damage the block. You can get heads almost any place.

I used a putty knife to loosen the heads nd gasket on my older motors. Just pass it around the heads to break the bead, so to speak, and then your big screw driver or pry bar to finish.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

flatford39 and biggeorge like this.
  27. WTF really

WTF really

Great advice everyone thanks. Feel free to add anymore tips at anytime.

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That’s a good one Ray.

48fordnut likes this.
  29. aaggie

aaggie

Probably won't matter what order you remove the bolts since about half will twist off. I remember the oil companies advertising in the '50s about how great the oils were that came from "pure Pennsylvania crude". Quaker State, Amalie and the others would turn to the gunk you have in your Flathead. I bought a 303 Olds engine for a project and the inside of the valve covers looked like someone filled it with Vasoline.

30. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That's what my engine looked like when I opened it up. The good news is that the metal underneath will look really nice when you get that waxy crud off!

I used dollar store spatulas (like for baking, not burger flipping) and oven cleaner on a warm day. I still need to do a final cleaning to get it spotless though.

kbgreen likes this.