Register now to get rid of these ads!

V.I.N # location?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob lee, Oct 12, 2009.

1. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

My fatherinlaw picked up a 37 chevy 2door sedan and can't find the numbers any where. Anybody have an idea? Thanks in advance. Oh yea I havn.t seen the car yet as he lives out of town.

2. squirrel

squirrel

my 39 had a plate screwed on to the pass side of the cowl, it was covered by the hood. 35 had a plate on the floor, near the sill by the front seat, passenger side. The 37 was very similar to the 39 as to how it was built. Also they did not stamp numbers on the frame back then, and some states use the engine number on the title instead of the VIN.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The VIN on the old Chevies in the 30s IS the engine number. The tags etc. are body numbers and style numbers etc.

4. My 38 has a stamped plate, same place as Squirrel's.

5. mj40's

mj40's

My 38 Chevy also had a plate on the passenge cowl held on with screws. Just above the hood hold down bracket. Not to be confused with the body style plate on the firewall.

6. squirrel

squirrel

There is a VIN tag (which has the VIN) as well as the Body tag (which has the Body and Style numbers)....and then there's the Engine number....

7. turney33

turney33
    from pasco,wa

earlier,had one on the seat frame as well. what are the first two things to hit the round file? the seat and the mill:)

8. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Thanks guys!

9. squirrel

squirrel

I looked around on the interwebs to try to find a picture of the original vin tag on a 37-39 chevy, but there are none! Apparently all the cars that people take pics of, lost the VIN tag over the years.

10. Paul B

Paul B

My 38 had a number stamped on the frame down inthe floor of the battery box & on the frame behind rear wheel on top of the frame

11. squirrel

squirrel

Interesting, maybe different assy plants did them different? My 39 had no serial numbers on the frame, and I stripped it by hand so I looked at every square inch