Register now to get rid of these ads!

uying a thermal arc welder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Piston Farmer, Dec 13, 2011.

1. I'm looking to get rid of my older 110 lincoln mig and had thought about going to straight tig, and then i came upon this:

https://www.weldersupply.com/productdetails.asp?cat=Welding+Machines&ID=9&pID=538

Its a thermal Arc 181i, from what I can find online it has good reviews. Wondering if anyone on here has one.

I like the idea of haveing tig and mig still, the stick im not to concerned with i still have my tombstone lincoln buzz box for that.

2. nfleone

nfleone

Most TIG/ STICK welders I have seen will not weld aluminum. Some Mig welders can be set up with a spool gun for aluminum(mig)
    If this one will TIG weld aluminum it might be a good deal.

Nick

3. nfleone

nfleone

I just looked at the Thermal Arc 181i video. No TIG aluminum welding.
    You can spool gun it for aluminum MIG.

Nick

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Josh Shaw uses one.

5. i dont see much aluminum welding, and down the road i could get a spool gun for it. I'm just wondering if its a good all around welder, i know it wont be perfect at everything.

6. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from DeLand, FL

I was looking into buying this welder also. Does anyone have any new reviews or comments?

7. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

My welding teacher says this welder is awesome. He is a veteran tig welder and is buying this to replace his older tig set up since he is retiring. He got a demo from the thermadyne people and said he couldn't believe what it would do for the price. I want to get one. I am using an older thermal arc stick/tig welder right now and really like it. I think it's an arcmaster 185.

I am going to try out a thermal arc 95s later this week, that they just bought. Kinda light duty machine though.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  8. 117harv

117harv

Trying to get a car to be a good at off road and street handling will be a compromise in both areas. Get a GOOD tig machine, one that can do atleast 1/4" aluminum as sooner or later you will need to weld some, and a seperate mig welder, they can be had used or new for not too much $$$...jmo.

9. I have a Thermal Arc 240v 200 amp Fabricator MIG - it's a good quality machine and way better than most. I still wish I'd splashed out another 200 quid and bought a Kemppi MinarcMig 200 instead.

10. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

The only way you are ever going to find out if it is a good fit for YOU, is to go buy it and use it a while. It looks to be a versitile machine, but "changing the set up" may prove to to be a pain. It will be a big step up from what you have now.
    The only down side I see is the Thermal Arc machines don't sell as easy as a Miller or Lincoln on the used market if you don't like it after you have used it a while.
    The lack of aluminum capability would not bother me, as the only aluminum I've needed welded in the last two years was done by some one else for a total cost of $20.
    Don't sell the little Lincoln yet. It may be handy to have for tacking a project before you TIG it or useing where only 110v power is available.

11. I finally had enough today of my old p.o.s. welder, and bought this machine today! I will let everyone know how i like it when i get it!