Register now to get rid of these ads!

use a freaking neutral safety switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rust runner, May 4, 2012.

1. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean something like this has happened to him before and he still doesn't get it? :(

Wow.

2. 117harv

117harv

This pussy carries a fire extinguisher in case i need it and for others. Maybe i can stop and save someone elses ride, new or old before it's too late. Fires can start for various reasons and unexpectedly. Cars have to be started while in gear, i've never seen or heard of a car starting on it's own? Get in, sit down, apply the brake and or push in the clutch and turn key...it's SO simple.

3. Hello? If you bump a stick in gear, it will fire up just like an auto!!!!!!! Don't believe me? Try it, actually don't. Trust me, it will start and run.

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That's the problem with common sense. It's just not that common...

Brian[/QUOTE]
    This pretty much says it all. I HAVE common sense but I am also easily distracted. So, I'll use all the neutral safety switches ect, that I can. Lots of stuff us old guys USED to do until we figured out a better way.

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Good job! P @ B injecting a little humor and pegging the smartassometer!:D

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm always amazed by all the folks who tout a neutral safety switch on a car with an automatic, but don't think of using one with a standard stick trans. Many of these same people don't have a parking brake either.

7. Now most cars come with a gear selector lock out. You cannot pull it in gear unless your foot is on the brake. This is on automatics. Don't expect me to do this on any of my old cars soon. I am not agree'ing that a nuetral safety switch isn't a good idea for safety but lets face it, there's alot more dangerous things out there that people do on their cars that could be way more dangerous. Like I said, I actually have 2 cars without them, 8 with them. I have never had a problem without them as I park my cars by putting them in park and use the brake.
    Don't bother bringing racing safety into this topic as they have a whole separate set of rules that don't pertain to street driven cars. If you want to follow their rules, you better mount your battery up front in your engine compartment or if you have it hidden, mount an obvious kill switch that is labled on the back of your car. Or that fuel line thats colored and traditional, you better yank it as you are only allowed a total of 12" of rubber fuel line.
    In 1969, most all stick cars got a safety switch installed on the clutch pedal. How many have you have installed one on your hotrods?
    I actually had one of my cars pop out of park and go into reverse from using an aftermarket shifter that was cheap and I was letting the car warm up, out of the car . Maybe we should stick a switch under the seat so you have to be sitting in the car before you can start it and for it to run.
    I see alot of cars out there that have no emergency brakes in stick cars, I see alot of cars without seat belts, I see alot of cars without wipers, I see a few cars out there with no front brakes. There are many more issues that if they had state inspections that had to meet todays standards, we wouldn't have traditional hotrods anymore.
    Like I said, I agree that a nuetral safety switch is a good idea but it's not the worst offence a car can have.
    Just don't reach into the car and start the car. You wouldn't do this in a stick car would you?

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

probably equally important is don't start your car without your ass in the seat.

^^^^ as for not having one with a stick... every driver I've had since 1976 has been a stick. (except my 62 Caddy, which wasn't supposed to be my daily driver)... I have NEVER started a stick car with it in gear. the first thing you do when you get in a stick shift car is push in the clutch and wiggle the stick to be sure it's in neutral... well, that's the first thing I do.

9. Gromit

Gromit

Can't pass inspection here without one. There's a reason for that.

10. Not that I'm promoting NSRA safety inspections but if you want a 21 rating you will need one.

11. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Yes, I understand what you are saying. It just seems that no matter what, at some point you need to be paying attention or something bad is going to happen. With guns you need to be careful not to accidentally pull the trigger, I have run milling machines where you had to be careful not to crash the spindle into the table, it's a good idea to keep your fingers away from the saw blade, people who stand on the top step of a ladder are asking for trouble, you don't take turns in the rain as fast as you would on dry pavement. A lot of safety precautions are fine, it just seems to me that if automatics need to have a neutral switch, manuals should too. Yet, you don't hear people warning about that.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  12. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I had a friend that did'nt belive in neutral safety switches either. He is now pushing up daisys. Nuf said.

13. squirrel

squirrel

Yup....I wonder if it's because you kind of know you need to be paying attention with a manual transmission. With an automatic, it's not so obvious.

14. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

firm believer here. drove my 34 pu through the furnace in my dad's basement when i was in HS because there wasn't a neutral safertly switch in it!

15. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I cant believe this is even a matter of discussion.

16. mugurpe

mugurpe

Fire extinguishers are a great idea either way. why not have one?

It takes a combination of paying attention, good safety practices, and safe equipment to avoid errors/accidents/injuries in the long term.

Personally I always chock the wheels whenever I'm working on the car. Always. even if it's something that wouldn't make the car move. even if I'm not planning on being under it. better safe than sorry and it only takes a couple seconds.

maybe it's because I drive trucks and chock wheels everywhere I go it just seems natural.

17. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

All my cars have Neutral Safety switches.
    I have never put my foot on the brake when starting my cars. There's never been any reason to. There are times when one needs to be able to start a car without having a foot on the brake, such as when using a remote start. Additionally, my older cars have Holley Carbs with no chokes, so my foot needs to be on the gas pedal when cold-starting, not the brake pedal...

I also agree with chocking the wheels whenever working on a car.

18. jack orchard

jack orchard

does a T-5 transmission have a neutral switch built into it, or just a reback switch? thanks...jack

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X3. always...One more time with feeling. ALWAYS...

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have an interesting theory on this. Gotta warn you guys, this one is WAY out there. You should kind of know you need to be paying attention anytime you are thinking about starting or driving a motorized vehicle. Any motorized vehicle. All the time. No exceptions. I know this TOTALLY flies in the face of modern conventional thought, but, well, there it is.

21. Gromit

Gromit

Actually.. Interesting this should come up. I just installed a EZ wire kit for a fellow, and it does not have one.. better get on that!

22. I know or have a pretty funny story about that. Not a car but a bike.

In the '70s I was on my way to my mom's house the tail end of a trip down south on my bike. I stopped about 12 miles from her place to fill up, I was about out of cash, just about enough to fill up and buy some Ho Hos. I guess the gas jockey played with my shifter (suicide shifted hawg) as I always slid it into neutral when I stopped. Anyway with I Kicked it and it lit, never ever lit on the first kick. So launches itself into the pumps and then procedes to drag me (all 135 lbs) across the lot, while I am pressing the kill switch with all my might.

The guy called the cops on me and insisted that I had to give him some money for the damage to the pumps. I knew the cop sorta, I told him I would give him all the cash I had in my pocket. The guy said, "OK" and the cop started to grin, I proceded to give him the 14 cents I had in my pocket and the cop made him give me a receipt.

He then followed me to the other end of town and pulled me over. Asked if I had been hurt etc, then asked if I still carried emergency money in each boot. I said yep and the cop said well its a good thing he settled for the money in your pocket.

George,

Step away from the bong man. You don't really believe this do ya. I'll bet you expect this to catch on. :rolleyes: :D

23. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Hard to argue against. The same can be said of crash helmets, roll bars, run-flat tires, back-up cameras, self-dimming headlights, rear window wipers, etc, etc. It's a matter of where one draws the line. You make a choice, then deal with wherever that takes you.

Advocating accountability and personal responsibility is not going to get you elected president.:D

24. The wiring harness not having provision for a NS switch is no excuse, not hard to wire one in. Wire from the starter terminal on the ignition switch goes to the NS switch, then wire from NS goes to the starter terminal on the solenoid.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

judging from what I have seen, it automatically disqualifies you from seeking public office at any level...:D

26. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The T-5 has been made in MANY different versions. Maybe some application has a neutral switch, but that's not typical. Instead, they rely on a clutch switch. Some have a switch that disengages the cruise control if the trans is taken out of gear. I don't know exactly what controls that switch. Possibly it could be used for neutral start, I don't know.

27. I guess it might be worth discussing if it were a big pain in the ass, expensive thing to do, but seeing as how it's easy as pie and cheap to install, I don't see a reason not to have one.

28. squirrel

squirrel

I'm lucky, I still have both my feet

29. Andy

Andy

Now that is funny! THANKS!

30. Modern cars with a T-5 are not going to have a neutral saftey switch, they are going to have a switch on the clutch if they have anything at all.

For the most part the only cars that reall have a problem are cars with automatics, they are not as positive because of the torque converter, for a clutch car to start and take off it would have to start with a throttle open quite a ways.

Here is a concept that no one has even mentioned, don't reach in and start it plant your ass in the seat before hitting the key.

I got an idea while on the subject, how about a switch in the seat belt and drivers seat like they did in the early '70s as a way of protecting us from ourselves. Or maybe passive restraint like the fords and some inports had in the '90s. :rolleyes: