Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Upholstery help!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J D, Jul 12, 2017.

1. J D

J D

im purchasing a '34 five window traditional, uncut, hot rod that needs a new interior. It has a decent, but totally outdated, interior. Can anyone recommend a company that provides kits? Or an upholstery shop in the Sacramento, CA area?
    Am I better off redoing what I have or should I toss and replace with new?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Show pictures of the outdated interior.

mctim64 and Steffen Jobst like this.
  3. mctim64 and biggeorge like this.
  4. One of my favorite cars.
    Ya got pics????

5. J D

J D

It's got this....

Attached Files:

6. J D

J D

I'd like this...

Attached Files:

7. Both outdated! 1st looks 80s and the second looks 90s!

8. Slopok

Slopok

At least it aint tweed!

Hnstray and Never2low like this.
  9. J D

J D

Ha! No, and it's not bad, just outdated!

10. J D

J D

Wow Tman, I'm impressed. The first one was from the mid 80's and the second was built in 1998! Good eye! Ok, so what's the new way Togo? I have a budget of $2500.... if I'm lucky.

Tman likes this.
  11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paco's in Roseville--has done 3 40 coupes for us a 40 sedan delivery and is doing a 37 woody project now 916-749-3650

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. J D

J D

Thanks olscrounger, I'll check em out!

13. You can do the doors yourself if you like and have the seat done by a pro. I got a quote for 12-1500 for a fancy seat for my current ride. (fancy meaning 2 materials and tons of stitchwork)

14. 6inarow

6inarow

steering columns suck worse than the threads

15. kruzin karl

kruzin karl

Anybody have any idea how much that red interior would cost nowadays? 10K? 15K?

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah on the steering column. Get rid of it! Ignition switch belongs on the dash...
    Man, drivin' that would be like...Ridin' a Barrel!

But that's what they do at the Western bar, right? I saw Mickey Gilley ride a barrel...Right into chapter 11!

6inarow likes this.
  17. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

LeBaron Bonney offers complete custom service as well.
    Worth looking into.

mctim64 likes this.
  18. 6inarow

6inarow

Amen brother

19. J D

J D

Holy s&#t really? 10-15$ for that interior?! I need to learn how to sew! Ok, I do get the column issue. Honestly, my plan was to paint the column to match upholstery and re-sleeve it... but maybe it's time for Ididit.
    The last time I built a rod from scratch was about 25 years ago, and I have always made fun of the guy who "builds" his rod from a catalogue and by shipping it to a painter and body guy and upholsterer then saying he did it. In my hay day, you had to go to a wrecking yard to pull parts, and talk to someone at a parts house (remember when they actually knew things about mechanics?) about how to convert a gm power steering pump to a ford small block. Then you found a machine shop that would humor your steering spline reweld. I do, and don't, miss those days.
    I'm definitely out of touch on the cost and value of things these days. I have learned one lesson... don't make it so nice you're afraid to use it. That's where my budget comes in. I don't want to have to choose which kid gets to go to college just because some ahole threw a soda on my seat or scratched my fender.
    I guess what I'm getting at is....sh&#t! This is gonna cost more than I wanted!

20. Just an opinion, but it looks like a good upholsterer could work with what you already have. But will be a more correct seat.
    For the second (red) interior, start with a glide seat. But will be a more of a later street rod seat.
    Figure out (as you've done), what the period style you're looking for and go from there.

6inarow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. 6inarow

6inarow

I agree, nothing wrong with either upholstery, at least nothing that cant be worked with. so its old, so what? Looks better than what I have done in my garage (but Im trying and learning)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  22. alchemy

alchemy

The original seat is worth more $$ than any Glide or other new seat you can get. If you really don't care much, sell that original seat and save on the overall costs.

23. Hmmm...I'd go the mohair any day of the week and twice on Sunday....if you check out El Bombero's Deuce sedan he used the Lebanon Bonney kit and its really cool. But again it depends on the look you are shooting for. For me I would be checking out Corey Taulberts interior in his roadster it is the shit.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

Ididit is streetrod stuff. We do traditional here

Alaska Jim and 46international like this.
  26. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

I like the idea to drive a 80 year old car and then lament about outdated upholstery.
    That's exact my humor.

27. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I'm A Fat/ Tall guy call it Street rod or whatever you want. I can't fit in this old junk without Tilt.

pat59 likes this.
  28. I like what's in it. I would re-do that. But what do I know, I'm from the 80s. lol

29. I went with LeBaron Bonney for my Sedan with a little help from @crminal , very happy with the results.

30. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I'd Leave it alone, no reason to Fix what isn't broken. Looks like its in perfect shape. Interior sucks and costs a bunch of money so no reason to rip something apart that has the interior already done in it. I'm In the boat of if it has a Seat that can have a blanket thrown over it has Done interior in it...lol

Steffen Jobst and 6inarow like this.