Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upholstery Foam: How do I know what...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BRENT in 10-uh-C, Jun 22, 2007.

1. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

...density is the correct foam to use for seat cushions that are to be made to replace seat springs? Is there an industry standard (or rating) as far as density goes? Can someone 'in the know' recommend a number that I should ask for? The application for this seat would be in a speedster/modified/T-bucket type vehicle.

Also, is there a different "firmness" needed for the back-rests or should they be made from the same type foam?

2. RatBone

RatBone

sit on it!

actually there are a few diiferent firmness's I usually use a med to med hard to sit on and a medium to med light for the back

3. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Well OK:D Actually, the foam is about 130 miles away at the supplier so that makes this a little more difficult.
    They did tell me they had foam in three I.D.L. ratings. Their softest was a Polifoam and had a rating of 36. Their middle-of-the-road foam was a 45 on the IDL chart, and their firmest was called SuperFoam and was rated at 50. The salesperson tells me that in a 6" thickness, she thinks it feels like sitting on a brick.

Does all of this sound about right?

4. RatBone

RatBone

Sounds like you want their middle of the road foam for the bottom and the back. Also check a local uphostery shop and talk to the guys. Alot of times they sell the stuff also and are a wealth of info.

5. Retrorod

Retrorod

On our "T" we used the middle of the road stuff 4" thick for the bottom supported by a weaved upholsterers webbing.....on the back we used the firm super stuff glued right to the inside of the body and then formed for lumbar support and the right contour by grinding it to shape with a 90 grit abrasive disc. It's very comfortable, even on long hauls (at least the passenger side is, Flower does all the driving).

6. BigEd

BigEd

7. earthskater

earthskater
    from FL

Contact David at eFoamstore.com for help with getting the right foam. eFoamstore specializes in custom foam manufacturing and makes foam to fit your needs.

I prefer eFoamstore (www.efoamstore.com) because they specialize in foam and have been in business over 60 years. Not only do they have affordable pricing (better than most online distributors), but also free expert customer service. Call them and give them the exact details of your question or problem and they will recommend exactly the right product for you.

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I've had great luck buying foam at JoAnnes Fabrics and at Fields Fabric stores. They stock all three firmness (usually) in a variety of thickness. We used firm 4" for the seats cushions in our trailers booth, and honestly, it's a little too firm. Since then, I leaned most trimmers use a firm foam as the base, and glue a medium to that for some give. It really is like sitting on a brick...

9. 61bone

61bone

Get a back seat out of a junker. really cheap and the foam density is perfect. Can be cut and shaped with ease. I used the back seat out of a 91 merc for my roadster. Worked great. Came with reinforcements built in.