Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upgrade Model A mechanical brakes to later mechanical brakes? Better performance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loogy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. loogy

loogy

I did a search and found a few references to this, but nothing definitive. Is there much, if any, performance gains to be had by upgrading Model A mechanical brakes to '32-'34 or even later mechanical brakes? I would think that the increase in diameter would in itself help the performance, but I don't know.

If this is a worthwhile upgrade, does anyone have any insight into what components are best mixed and matched to make this conversion happen?

And a quick note to those that might feel the need to respond with the suggestion to install hydraulic brakes, that's not what this question is about, but thanks!

2. I don't think it would be that worthwhile, not on a driver at any rate, not when it's really about the same work to go to hydraulic brakes. I mean, if you put bigger brake clamps/shoes on your bycycle, then go ride down a steep hill, is it going to be enough of an improvement to not still need new shorts at the bottom?

3. Homemade44

Homemade44

Properly adjusted and maintained stock Model A brakes will lock up all the wheels and skid the tires. They stop a stock Model A just fine. Most Model A brakes don't work well because they have too much lost motion, due to wear, in the linkage that operates the brakes. Another problem can be caused by not having the brake shoes matched to the drums.

Joe

4. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

More friction surface means more potential braking ability. But making sure the shoes are fitted/ground to the correct contour for the drums (like homemade44 stated) is a big deal on these. The proper maintenance and adjustment of the mechanical set up is crucial to proper performance as well.
    It certainly should make an improvement, how much I couldn't say. Sort of like throwing out a bigger anchor I suppose.

5. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

'A' brakes can work very well if you keep on top of the adjustments and make sure that there's no slack in any clevis pins. You can fit oversize pins to take up any wear. Cast drums are essential and also have a look at the kit sold by this guy...
    http://www.flatheadted.com/
    I run two A's with mechanical brakes, one with one of these kits and one without. They make a hell of a difference, and I'll be fitting a kit to the other car this year. They take just a couple of hours to fit and are well worth it.

6. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

Great question, loogy. Been around a bunch of Model A's and nobody I know has tried that.

It's obvious that Ford brakes improved from 1931 to 1935 (which might be the last year for a switch-out ... still using rods) as cars got heavier and Ford got a little smarter. Better brake drums alone would make the swap attractive.

Sorry that I have no direct experience in doing the conversion but, after owning a number of 'A's and now several 1935's, would encourage you to check it out further. The brake geometry probably changed ... cross-shaft lever lengths, etc. ... great idea.

Something I'll look into myself to see how much will bolt-up, and hope somebody who's tried it will post.

[​IMG]

7. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

I'll let you know, I'm trying it. Model A to 35. Only because I have everything.

8. i am in the process of changing mine to 12 inch
    it seems like a good upgrade and alot easier than juice brakes
    you dont need to run lines or a master
    its a dirrect bolt in
    and yes mechanical brakes will lock up all 4 tires at speed but they have to be ajusted correctly and the shoes need to be fitted
    tom

mswrc likes this.
  9. loogy

loogy

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Tom and Lowbuckboz, please let me know how it turns out. Are you guys changing all four brakes or just the front?

And just for informational purposes, doing a little research shows that stock Model A brakes can be made to function just fine, so that is not the question. What intrigues me is the possibility that later brakes might enhance the stock Model A braking in ways like less heat build-up (fade?), better brake modulation, less leg effort for the same given braking power, etc.

10. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Another vote for the Flatheadted brake kit. They are super easy to install and make a world of difference. Everything else that has been said is extremely important as well-no lost motion in linkage, shoe/drum curvature, et al.

11. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

I'm going to change the front first. I'll let you know how it all fits. Don't know about the back yet because the "E" brake operates differently. Have not got into this project yet, car is getting lowered at the same time.

mswrc likes this.