Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Updraft to downdraft carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dubie, May 22, 2017.

1. dubie

dubie

I have this 201 flathead six in our 24 Chrysler with an updraft carb. What intake can I use to make this a down draft carb set up?this is my very first flathead, so I could use as much info as possible

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. This would be a good time for some pictures. My guess is that you are having problems with the carb, any chance you could just replace the carb with another make (like Model A or B Ford)?

Charlie Stephens

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Well, you could have a simple "U" shaped tube welded up with flanges welded on to fit the manifold and one to fit a Carter B1B from a 46-48 Plymouth. Then if there is room, mount it between the stock manifold any the hood. Probably should make the carb end longer so it mounts above the manifolds, so a heat shield could be mounted between the carb base and manifolds.

4. Is this an original 1924 Chrysler engine or a later 23" long Plymouth 201 cube engine.......if a Plymouth based engine various intakes etc have been made and the Offy twin carb intake is still available new from various places including ebay at present........if its the original Chrysler engine then you may have to fab an intake or modify something to fit......more info and a pic of the engine would help...........andyd

5. BJR

BJR

Don't know what the engine looks like, but can you turn the intake manifold up side down and bolt it back on the engine?