Register now to get rid of these ads!

Updatingvy 49 chevy front end.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by premium, Feb 26, 2008.

1. premium

premium
    from Goergia

looking for any info on putting some more stop in the coupe since im gana be putting some sort of V8 in it (not a 350 so call off the lynchers). Id like to not put a clip in it. are thier some sort of spindels from another car, or anything that is known to work with out redoing the whole front end. I wana hop up the car but not change the car. let me know. let the shit storm insue..:cool:

oh and sorry about the title. my laptop is screwy..

2. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

the cheap way to improve the brakes is to change to 52 -54 self engerizing brakes and get rid of the old huck style. next up would be a disc conversion. once you get into a disc conversion/newmastercyl/ valves its not that much more of a step to a must 11.

3. kustomrodder53

kustomrodder53

I opted for a clip swap for handling reasons and it worked out great, but was a lot of work.. A LOT. You can keep most of your shit stock if you use a disc kit from Jamco. Otherwise, you can get your stock spindles machined to use tapered bearings... and the unmentionable MustangII discs will fit. Speedway motors sells them already done, plus caliper brackets.

---Brian

4. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

PM Brickster. He just did a TCI Mustang II kit in a 49 Chevy here at the shop. It's very well constructed simple kit that requires very little fabrication. It utilized the stock frame. I can get pics for you tomorrow night if you're interested.

5. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

I have had several Chevvies from 48 to 50 with no complaints using stock suspension with a coil removed and better shocks. It is the same independant suspension as Corvette thru 1962. I have changed drums to 54's to get 5 hole bolt pattern for better wheel selection.

6. I did an M2 swap on my 50. After pricing the disc brake swap stuff, and bushings and stuff for the stock front end, I decided that for a few hundred more I could get the M2 and make parts and lowering way easier.

7. kustomrodder53

kustomrodder53

Thats actually a good point, with the hub swap. And if stopping is the only issue, I would have to say that the stock stuff actually works better than most people might think.

8. teddyp

teddyp

have the stock front-end in my 50 with the 54 brakes i want to put a 54 streering box in the claim the work better

9. premium

premium
    from Goergia

well, i assumed that converting to disk would give me a great deal of stopping power over the stocker setup. im not really worried about handling. i just want to be safe with having the larger motor and updated drive line. . the brakes are pretty squishy, i was deffiniatly gana instally a duel master cylinder. any opinoins on that? im totally agains a mustang 2 frnt clip...ehhhh, its a 49 chevy, its gana stay that way. the only heavy mods im upto on this is engine and maybe some body mods. but things thing is so georgious as is i doubt much of that will be going on..
    i did find this for the disk conversion. seems fairly priced. and a great deal cheaper than a whole new front clip..

http://www.rbsauto.com/product.asp?Product_Id=176925&d_Id=17190&l1=17187&l2=17190