Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage UPDATED WITH PHOTOS! Going For Broke...50 day Cross-Country Road Trip Family Style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, May 7, 2015.

1. Jay71

Jay71

Well that's one hell of a roundabout way to get to the South Bay!

Special Ed likes this.
  2. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Thanks for this tip man! What do you think is the best way to get from Chicago to Franklin, Ohio?

3. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Thanks for the shirts Bo! They will be in a lot of photos on this thread!
    We may sneak in a Mt Rushmore Loop!

We will be spending a night in Shawnee, Ok. Not sure if that is close to you. We will also be visiting Hominy and Cleveland, Ok to visit the homes my grandparents grew up in.

We are planning on hitting a college world series game. Is it the kind of thing I can buy tickets at in town or do I need to buy ahead of time?

The more contacts the better. It gives peace of mind!

We will be staying with friends in Pace, FL. I would love suggestions of places to see and eat.

I'll message you as the details of that part of our trip come together. Thanks

Googled it! Thanks for the lead looks beautiful and is only $10 to camp!

We will be staying in The Woodlands with my wife's childhood friend. How far is that from you. I'd love to give the wagon a going over and say hello! Thanks for your kindness. We will be in touch.

It was Siri's fault!

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Have a safe and wonderful trip! The O'Brien family is truly wealthy and blessed.

firstinsteele, Special Ed and i.rant like this.
  5. I remember following along on the last trip, and look forward to your updates this time around !

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

You can buy general admission tickets day of game usually.

7. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

If you guys were coming close to me , I'd certainly put ya up for the night. I know what you're up to - I'll be fulfilling a "someday" trip down route 66 with my dad this fall. It's about memories , and you guys will have a bunch.

9. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I did a solo cross country bicycle trip in forty days, 3,650 miles. What you are doing with your family is PRICELESS. Good luck, have fun, we'll all be cheering for you every mile of the way!

10. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

COUNTDOWN: 33 DAYS...

After laying out our route, I started reaching out to companies in the Hot Rod and Custom world asking if they would like to sponsor the trip or send us some goodies for the road. Since my wife is a small business owner, we wanted to reach out to companies that actually know and care for their customers, and particularly those who are ALLIANCE VENDORS. (If you would like to support our trip, road test a product, shoot me a private message I’d love to talk more. And if you have a tire connection I would really like to talk!;))

Lake Speed Jr from Driven Racing Oil (used to be called Joe Gibbs racing oil) responded to my email almost immediately. After asking for details about the engine, oil pressures hot and cold, etc., He sent us 8 quarts of their high zinc hot rod oil for our trip. (They are an alliance vendor. SUPPORT THOSE WHO SUPPORT YOU http://www.drivenracingoil.com.) They have amazing customer service and are very helpful making sure you get the best oil for your specific engine. He also sent a can of their Speed Clean, which will come in handy on the road for 50 days! Thanks Lake!
    [​IMG]

And for those who have asked here is a photo of the engine. Nothing fancy. A 350, about 15k miles on it, with Vortech Heads and a Quadrajet.
    [​IMG]

11. Sounds like a lot of fun..IF,you don't kill each other being coped up for hours at a time...:D HRP

12. Very cool. I love road trips. Will watch for your updates. Best of luck, safe travels.

13. WOW nice car a work horse and a cruiser.Have a fun and safe trip.I would be pushing my 56 buick wagon by hand mostly on a trip like that.lol.Bruce.

14. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Sounds awesome to me! I could never convince the wife whenever I brought an idea like this up. Best of luck & i'll be following.

15. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Have an awesome trip!

I bookmarked your last rip and go back to it occasionally when I get a hankering for a road trip. I love road trips and have done many cross country runs and always have a great time.

I met the owner of Bang Shift (Chad, I think his name is) out at Pomona a couple weeks ago because he has a '66 Impala wagon (LS motor, Ride tech suspension, etc) and I love wagons. It's actually his wife's DD and a very cool car. Anyway I told him about your last road trip and we talked about wagons and road trips.

When I was a kid in the 60's and 70's all our family vacations were road trips. That was when there were still lots of road side attractions and not as much freeway. Make sure you get off the super slabs as much as possible to see "real America" (not 'Merica) and real Americans. You know, those small town folks that still have manners and values and are not in such a hurry that they want to step on you to get what they want.

It's funny that you mention some people don't understand why you would want to do this. I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to do it!

What would be really cool is to get a pro film crew to video the whole trip like a reality show. Maybe it would ruin the trip to have cameras on all the time but if it was done like a documentary and was well edited it could be an eye opening experience for those who have never experienced the open road.

Caprice89 likes this.
  16. Loved following along in the last trip and look forward to this one. I only wish we were driving along with you. We will be praying for safe, trouble free travels and great memories piled high. :)

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's a great trip you have planned. I wish you a safe and memorable journey.

18. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Wow, fearless fun for the whole family. I will be watching this one. I love the stories you and your wife tell.

19. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Its a great time to take such a trip with gas prices in a range where anyone could afford a trip. Life is really short and before you know it your wondering where the last 40yrs went.

drdave likes this.
  20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Awesome, enjoyed the last trip and looking forward to this one

21. Enjoyed your last trip and look forward to this one. As a quick aside it is good to see Fred is alive and well.

22. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

seriously rad. i remember following your last trip, and i can't wait to follow along on this one too. if you guys ever make it to new england, you have a place to crash at casa de gow. i hope you guys have a blast.

23. Chuckamatic

Chuckamatic

When I was a kid, my parents took us to Colorado, from Maryland in a VW camper, then a couple years later on a month+ long trip across country (in a brand new Suburban and Holiday Rambler TT that time). I bet to this day I don't go a week without thinking of something to do with those trips.....and that was 1976! That is a great gift to your children and to your soul. Happy for you.

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF you're anything like my bro and I when we do a long trip, the dates/times/locations on your itinerary will slip and slide all over the place since there's so much to see/do on the way...having said that, I see you're planning in being in Denver June 17...couple of rod runs going on at that time IF you want to do one.

If you're early: June 14 - Firefighters' 22nd Annual Hot Times, Cool Cars at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds (720-254-7851.
    Later: June 20 - Camaro Club's 32nd Annual All Chevy show, 92 & Wadsworth, 303-422-0849.
    June 21- NSRA Appreciation Day, 2555 So. Santa Fe Dr. 303-495-4284.
    And of course, the biggie for the summer: June 26-28- NSRA'a 32st Annual Rocky Mountain Street Rod Nats, ColoRODo State Fairgrounds, Pueblo, CO. 785-842-6890.

Here's an article on a trip my bro and I did two years ago...it's a HAMB friendly read, might take you a few hours to go thru it.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...hlight=events+4552+miles+two+weeks+three+days

Good luck on your trip...
    R-

25. Not sure of your plans for after Des Moines/ before Chitown, but I'm just 35 miles west of Chicago, and could host.
    House is big enough, though no beds...pool is available...I live alone...tools and garage space large enough to fit a hearse, so should fit THAT compact wagon... :)

PM me...

Cosmo

26. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

AWESOME !! Good for all of you... :)

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I've gotta admit, I'm not above crashing at someone's pad to help with the cost of a big trip, but it never even crossed my mind to get sponsors for my route 66 "someday is here" trip with my dad this fall. It's a brilliant approach ... I love the idea.

28. HRS

HRS

Your last road trip to Austin was and is one of my favorite threads ever on the HAMB. Cant wait to follow along with this one.

Doing what custom car culture should really be all about...no BS....just spending time with your loved ones and enjoying your car!

29. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Thanks for those!

That is gnarly!

My wife said "AMEN TO THAT!" This could get ugly!

If you have a film crew let me know! This could be too much for reality TV!

Thanks for the shirts! They will be in a lot of photos!

Thanks man. Northeast wasn't going to work this trip! Maybe the next one.

Thanks for all that info. We only have 2 "set dates" for the trip. We have to be in Chicago by the 21st as I have a week of class. And we have to make it to Disney World by July 8. Other than that it is all about side trips and adventure.

Thanks man! We will be staying with friends in Naperville, but I sure would like to be able to give the wagon a going over in your shop! I'll be PMing you!

Totally my wife's idea!

30. Hellfish

Hellfish

I loved reading your last adventure and I'm looking forward to reading this one.
    I drove my '59 Bel Air from Chicago to Austin and to Maryland with my wife, so it brought back some memories. Anyway, I'm on the south side of Chicago, so if you need any help or advice on the area/roads, just let me know.
    Joe

surfcaliforniasurf likes this.