Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical UPDATED AGAIN! Bondo on New Brookville Body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLAKE, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Very interesting reading. The lesson I've learned so far is: the "same" product built 8 years ago shouldn't be compared with todays products. Product specs obviously have changed over the years and product quality has improved (hopefully). Apparently there are Brookville steel bodies version 1.0 and steel bodies version 2.0 available.
    Would be a good idea if Brookville would officially shed some light on this (on their web site?) that justifies price differences and how to identify the different products. A date of manufacture stamp would definitely help.
    Anyway, good luck Blake. I hope you guys find a solution both of you can live with.

BLAKE likes this.
  2. chrisp

chrisp

To me it's surprising, disappointing maybe, bothering no. Production cars up to the 50's early 60's had filler, coachbuild or low production handbuild cars had a lot, some of them by today standard or point of view would be called hack job and don't get me started on fit or weld quality.
    Anyway they recon what they used to do and that they improved.

3. Pretty sad work there. If it were me, I would take ALL that mud out of the corner just to see the root. If the metalwork was that bad, I would not trust the mudwork either!

Max Gearhead and loudbang like this.
  4. Take out the filler...you know you want to;)

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've been around this stuff for a long time... And I can remember when Blake bought his body. If you would have told me then that the corner was full of mud, I'd be outraged... Shocked... Amazed...

Even now, I can hardly believe it.

The only issue with blake's complaint is time.

6. Yeah, it is a shame it has been so long. Like you and Blake, I would not have thought to look for this much mud after purchasing in GOOD FAITH.

7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I don't think it matters how much time has passed , as it is still their product that was ' Sub Standard '

And if they are [ stand up guys ] they will swap him for a new one with no questions asked, since they knew how bad the corners were when they were building them

What do you do when your mega buck paint job starts to crack above the way too thick filler, as that would really tick you off then !!!!!!!!!!

kidcampbell71 and Max Gearhead like this.
  8. Regarding a return yes regarding getting a better quality product from Brookville no according to them it wasn't available at that time.

9. I would be mad,they should make it right regardless of how long you have had the body.

Brookville has a great reputation and I would think this is something they would like to correct and avoid fallout. HRP

Max Gearhead and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I am going to a Chicago concert . This is my second time seeing them this year. I saw them in 1970. They are way !!!!!! better musicians now than they were back then. Should I ask them for a free concert now or even an extra song or two since they were capable of getting better in the future ? They were a high paid top notch band back then and gave all they had to give at the time. They just got better with time and practice like all of us do.

11. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

They put mud(bondo)on the new cars coming off the assembly lines.

12. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Replacing an older product with a new and improved one would put companies out of bussiness.
    Best I would hope for is a new rear section at a discounted price.

K13 likes this.
  13. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I am not sure this correct for all OEM's, the factory I worked in replaced the panels or scrapped the vehicle if it was something like a roof panel. No glue anywhere, and for that matter no lead, just seam sealer.

14. Larry T

Larry T

How about Brookville selling Blake a retooled panel at a discounted price. No one comes out ahead, but Blake gets a little help and Brookville saves a little face.

JimSibley likes this.
  15. BLAKE

BLAKE

Thanks for (almost) all of the feedback and comments, fellas. Again, I expect to hear from Brookville tomorrow or Tuesday. The basic question they will need to answer is whether the amount of mud on my cab (as evidenced by my pics) is typical and completely representative of the 'steel' bodies they sold in 2007, or whether they admit that my cab looks like a one that shouldn't have made it past the QA team. I'm not really pushing for anything yet except for the answer to that question.

I'll let you guys know what I hear.

kidcampbell71, Dan Hay and K13 like this.
  16. You have been an idiot this whole thread................the fact you think Kansas is a good benchmark seals it. WTF? Over.

17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That's because they don't build cars like they used to. They spot weld panels together now and put sealer on the joints and leave the seams showing as in earlier days they spotted the seams and smoothed them over with filler.

18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

The filler and primer was good enough to hold up for 8 years enough that nothing showed until ground off. It is to filler recommendations and tolerances according to filler manufacturers. If the filler and primer held up ,paint would have been fine over it also.

19. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have only given my opinion through this whole thread. That is what was asked for by Blake. I Never judged or called anyone an idiot for having another opinion. I guess wherever you are from makes you an expert and I guess the way you treat other human beings say`s it all about you. Not that I consider myself in the same league but maybe you should tell Clyde Cessna(Cessna Aircraft) Walter Chrysler (surely you know who he is ), Bill Lear (Lear Jet) Beech (Beech Aircraft) The Koch brothers, Vic Edelbrock, Wally Parks to name a few that they are idiots because they came from Kansas. I bow down to you sir. I didn't realize I was dealing with God himself.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    rmcroadster and Special Ed like this.
  20. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

This is starting to get ugly, I'm very surprised to see that much mud and I would be disappointed if it happened to me. Brookville is building a 32 pinched for Model A chassis for me at the moment and I had conversations with Pete about their body parts for Model A's and he was very upfront about the problems with them. After the conversation I learned they don't make any of the sheet metal for A's except the running boards! He was completely honest about the difficulty making the parts fit, especially the splash pans.
    Having said that, I don't think the time since you bought them should be an issue. I bought a perimeter chassis for the A made by Brookville through Honest Charley's over a year and a half ago. I decided I wanted to go with a 32 chassis and I spoke to Mike at Honest Charley's and he is going to take back the chassis against a 32 and give me credit in FULL as well as the triangulated four link I got through them from Pete & Jakes. Brookville is going to customize my new chassis to fit the brackets welded on the John's rear housing for the rear set up on the original perimeter frame. I'm picking everything up at Carlise at the end of September. My experience has been great so far, but the point is that time shouldn't be a factor for them to make some effort to reach a compromise you can feel good about. Good luck, very interested to hear what they will do the help.

21. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

It isn't surprising at all that the mud and primer has held up perfectly the past 8 years, since it's been sitting in one spot. I really find it hard to believe it would have held up that well if it was being driven on a regular basis for even the last 5 years.

22. BLAKE

BLAKE

Hopefully this thread can survive the nonsense. There seems to be a lot of folks sincerely interested in seeing how Brookville answers my question, and only 1-2 who think I'm an ass-puss for even asking it. :D

kidcampbell71 and Dick Stevens like this.
  23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I happen to feel it is a reasonable question you have asked of Brookville and feel you are being extremely fair and waiting and willing to accept whatever they feel is the right thing to do to resolve this.

patterg2003 and BLAKE like this.
  24. I want to see how this turns out.... with out the thread getting deleted because of drama! HRP

25. brady1929

brady1929

Maybe we need to go back to the basics. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

rmcroadster and da34guy like this.
  26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If nothing else Blake can take solace in knowing he has one of the early 'hand finished' BV bodies, not the later mass stamped cookie cutter all the same ones. ;)

27. BLAKE

BLAKE

I like it!!

28. Chicago, Kansas........................both shitty bands and the reference was lost.................... I have plenty of friends and club members from that great State.

29. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

I`m interested in how this turns out, just out of curiosity. Some of the drama that always seems to follow is pretty funny tho`.

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Dust in the Wind,
    Sanding Bondo is Dust in the Wind.

Nothing kills a good buzz faster than that song.

seatex and tb33anda3rd like this.