Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Update on my little pinstriper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bluthndr, Mar 14, 2012.

1. bluthndr

bluthndr

Thanks for the input on my earlier post. I got her some one-shot n a couple of Mack brushes, then gave her an old tool box of mine to keep it in on Saturday. She's been at the shop with me every day since striping her box for practice.

I shared with her the posts you guys put up on that first thread, and she expressed interest in coming to the sinsofsteel and/or billetproof panel jam(s). So proud of her - and thanks so much for your input and encouragement!

[​IMG]

Saturday was the first time she'd ever held a real striping brush. I'm excited to see what she can do with some input from all of you pros in person!

2. bluthndr

bluthndr

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Looking pretty good! The one on the toolbox latch looks like two dancers to me.

4. Congratulations, that young lady has a future ;) Keep finding stuff for her to practice on. As you can see in the attached photo I love pinstriping and almost everything in this photo has either striping or lettering on it.

Attached Files:

5. willymakeit

willymakeit

Keep her interested and with supplies. It will all be worth it some day.
    I know I still remember ky kids doing thigs with me. They have taken it further over the years.

6. Lookin'good! By all means bring her to the above mentioned shows.There will be several of us working there and she is more than welcome to sit in and sling some paint.
    Also if she wants to pick up some good info have her join the Pinstriper's Page group on Yahoo.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Good compositions!
    My take on developing: Get her a BIG surface, like a large cardboard box, to practice doing lines in a single sweep per line...I think she is using a sort of sketching technique like drawing with a pencil that is causing joggles as she draws curves...she needs to go Whoooosh from start to end of line, not --------

8. Pizza boxes are great too. I have a couple of old triple-track windows I practice on. One guy I know got a junk fender from a body shop he practices on.

Bob

9. RoadkillCustoms

RoadkillCustoms
    from Mesa, AZ

Get 'em started early!

10. she pulls a better line than I do.

11. Tin Can

Tin Can

Keep her interested. She will be paying her college tuition with that someday

12. hankthebigdog

hankthebigdog
    from oklahoma

looks like she is going to be a great one. Keep her interested and keep lots of material for her to work on. Oh, how I remember my daughter working with me. What I would give to have those times back.

13. My advice is to not worry about design as much as puling lines that are clean and equal in width from beginning to end.
    Barely touch the brush down and then pull it letting the hairs on the brush straighten out as it lays the line.
    Pull ten lines side by side and see how identical you can make the lines.
    If the lines are lumpy, palette the brush to get the mixture right.
    Paletteing the brush means laying the brush down sideways and pull and wiggle it to work the paint up into the brush evenly. Don't push against the hair, but pull it away from the handle.
    Straight equal lines before trying designs. You can begin to lay curved lines after you get the lines equal in width and learning the feel of the paint mixture.

14. shocker998md

shocker998md

plexi glass, then junk fender, then whatever your beater is. Youtube can be her friend too, just dont push too hard or she may dislike it if she gets discouraged.

My wife wanted to try to lace paint something with rattle can to see what it would look like, I no balls her to just throw it on my truck hood. I guess that will be the trick to get her to lay down some lines on my truck now lol.

If shes reading this, GREAT JOB!

15. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Another good thing to practice on is glass. Pull some lines, fill up the glass, then use denatured alcohol to clean off.