Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods UPDATE - last. Tales of the '33 Ford 3 window garage find - it now moves under it’s own power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4ever18, Mar 30, 2018.

1. 4ever18

4ever18

You Flathead guys will get a kick out of my recent "lesson". As some of you may remember from a recent posting, I recently was able to purchase a VERY nice '33 Ford 3 window coupe. The car hadn't been out of the garage in 41 years. The car has always been garage kept, since new. When I brought it home from North Carolina to Tennessee, this was it's first time out of the county where it had spent its entire life.

Mr. Penley couldn't remember how long it had been since he had last started the car, but it was prior to me having seen the car for the first time nine years ago.

The engine will not turn - even with the sparkplugs removed. A little over a week ago, I poured some Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder. After soaking for a little more than a week, I'm still unable to get the crankshaft to turn. Tonight, I decided that I hadn't poured enough oil into the cylinders. According to comedian Tim Allen, "if a little bit is good, a whole lot is better, and too much is JUST RIGHT". So I attempted to fill each cylinder with transmission fluid. A few cylinders filled quickly, a few took quite a bit to fill, and the remaining cylinders never did fill ( I decided that as long as the entire piston was covered, the quantity would be sufficient to soak the entire circumference of the cylinder). As I was cleaning up and putting away the "stuff", I stood back to admire the car. This is when I noticed a rather large puddle of oil under the car, but not under the engine. The oil had leaked out of the exhaust pipe, when it entered the muffler. It seems that this procedure doesn't work well on flathead engine cylinders, where the exhaust valves are open. LOL Well, at least the muffler won't be hard to remove. Insert "muffler bearing" jokes here. -;)

33 Ford 3 window Coupe 01.jpg 33 Ford 3 window Coupe 05.jpg 33 Ford 3 window Coupe 10.jpg 33 Ford 3 window Coupe 01.jpg 33 Ford 3 window Coupe 05.jpg 33 Ford 3 window Coupe 10.jpg

hfh, jaracer, alfin32 and 20 others like this.
  2. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Wow! She is beautiful.

Clay Belt and 4ever18 like this.
  3. Congratulations. HRP

4ever18 likes this.
  4. That is a beauty for sure.

4ever18 likes this.

5. That's a good read, made me Chuckle. I love the smell of Marvel Mystery Oil coming out the exhaust pipe,,, when the motor is running. Don't forget to disconnect the Gas line before the fuel pump before you hit the starter.
    The Wizzard

Stogy, Clay Belt and 4ever18 like this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

That's funny, not sure I would have thought of it either. Great car though.

Stogy and 4ever18 like this.
  7. Blake 27

Blake 27

I may be mistaken but that appears to be a 34!

4ever18 and X38 like this.
  8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

What a great find! Congrats! That upholstery is perfect.

4ever18 likes this.
  9. 4ever18

4ever18

8738B28F-ABCA-4ADD-8D3B-6E7F830124DF.jpeg B93492E0-A013-4F14-A0A0-48AB68F897B7.jpeg
    The original owner, sometime prior to 1956, changed the hood & grill. Apparently, this was common “back in the day”. Check out the dash & doors, they are ‘33. I’ve also included photos of Mr. Penley, which were taken in 1970 when he purchased the car from the second owner (the second owner purchased the car in 1956). These 1970 photos show that the hood & grill were already in place at that time.

Attached Files:

10. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I would try putting it in gear and see if you can rock it back and forth,that might break it loose.maybe try to tow it and let the clutch out and see if that helps.. Harvey

rusty valley and 4ever18 like this.
  11. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

You did real well, I like it.

4ever18 likes this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

13. brady1929

brady1929

My gawd that car is beautiful!

4ever18 likes this.
  14. bubba55

bubba55

Dangit - how did we allow that 1 fine car leave this state - You be 1 lucky Dude !
    Nice find !

15. Outstanding car and find.......................I hate you and we have never even met:rolleyes::):)

16. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Beautiful car! A lot of people don't know that the '34 hood and grille were actually a running late change in the '33 model year. I would guess that your VIN must be near the final '33 produced that year.

clem and 4ever18 like this.
  17. WOW!!
    What a nice coupe.
    I did the same thing freeing up an 8BA flattie in my 40, but used acetone and ATF. What a mess!
    I pulled the starter and used a bar on the flywheel for more leverage.

4ever18 likes this.
  18. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes

4ever18 likes this.
  19. alchemy

alchemy

Well oiled muffler bearings ARE important!

When you attempt to spin it next time make sure to put some old rags into the spark plug holes, or you might oil the fenders too.

Stogy, Clay Belt and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  20. You are on the right track with the M M and letting it set and soak. You may end up doing some Overhaul work once running but doing this;
    will guarantee a rebuild. Also I'm sure you know to turn it by Hand first and do many full rotations before Engaging the starter motor. Also like alchemy mentioned, once using the starter cover the plug holes. I'm betting the motor will be as good as it was when last parked.
    The Wizzard

21. catdad49

catdad49

Great Coupe, be gentle with Her. You'll be cruising in no time!

4ever18 likes this.
  22. 4ever18

4ever18

I feel very fortunate. The car was fairly close to you. It was in the Asheville area. I told Mr. Penley that he could easily have found someone with more money than me, but he would have had difficulty finding someone that would appreciate it more than me. I’m taking my time, trying to be careful not to damage anything.

23. X2 on what Pist and broke said. Get a socket and breaker bar on the crank bolt and keep at it. You might also consider pulling the intake and heads and get more MM down in there.

4ever18 likes this.
  24. 4ever18

4ever18

Your suggestion of using the rags to prevent “oiling the fenders” reminded me of something that a good friend did. He purchased a motorcycle that had been parked for several years, which also had a stuck engine. He filled the cylinders with a light weight oil and let it sit for several days. Rather than attempt to turn the engine slowly, by hand, he got on the bike and hit the starter button. He succeeded in oiling his legs, the basement walls & ceiling, as well as a couple of cars! LOL. All of his friends found this story to be funnier that did he.

25. 4ever18

4ever18

I’ve loosened the fan belt & and am using the socket/ratchet, but only the bolt moves. I’ve only moved the bolt a 1/4 inch, or less. Breaking the bolt off isn’t on my “to do” list.

Stogy, brad2v, wheeldog57 and 2 others like this.
  26. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wouldn’t hurt to rock the car ever so slightly and smoothly. I don’t see a ratchet doing the job.
    Don’t get aggressive.
    The idea of a cheater bar on the flywheel may work.

4ever18 likes this.
  27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't hurry it along. A little acetone will help but I wouldn't do the 50/50 mix, maybe 10%. You have gaskets and seals that won't like it if used in excess.

tub1 and 4ever18 like this.
  28. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Beautiful car congratulations. I like seafoam in the cylinders and gently rock the car for a min each day till it looses up

4ever18 likes this.
  29. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Patience.Can't rush these things.

4ever18 likes this.
  30. rusty valley

rusty valley

i agree with the "rocking" theory. put 2 guys on each end, trans in 3rd, and get as violent as you can shoving it back and forth. the slack in the drive train sorta acts like an impact wrench. could just be one valve stuck, who knows. it will also have stuck valves after it turns. you can go thru the plug hole with an allen wrench and tap the center of the valve down, when timing is right, and turn the motor to see it stuck up again! usually takes a few times for them to be free enough to seat again, then its time for gas and a battery!

4ever18 likes this.