Register now to get rid of these ads!

Update 5: the Hudson gets a splash of color...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudsoncustom, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ***Update on page 8 - the exterior is nearly done.***

So, I've been thrashing on the "Panty Dropper" lately...trying to get it ready for Billetproof NW. I didn't think I was gonna make it, but some very late nights (more like early mornings actually) helped it all come together with an hour or two to spare.

For the previous threads:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187556

and the chop threads here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236046
    and here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251575
    and here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273441

I had used 52 ford front fender flares to give the front wheel openings some character. I didn't want to run the car with the stock fender skirts in the rear, so I used some top secret rear fender lips to make my rear fender flares. I think they fit the car pretty good, and kind of have a bit of that foxcraft skirt style to them. Any guesses as to what they came off of? I told a few people at Billetproof, so I'm sure someone will guess correctly here pretty quickly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, I did a final sand, removed the bumpers, grille, lights, windshield, wiper mounts, door buttons, etc....and got it to this point....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. I had been thinking of painting the car black. Gloss black with the Chrisman Coupe copperish/bronze wheels, dash, garnish mouldings, steering wheel, etc, so I decided to put some black DP sealer on the car to get an idea of how black would look on the car.

I don't like it.

Here's how it looks at the moment. it's just about ready for the real bodywork...filler, welding the seams, primer, sanding, and paint. It has a few more dents that need pulling (actually, both quarters need a ton of work as the car apparantly had been in a wreck sometime LONG ago and filled with about a ton and a half of lead.)...I don't know if I'll get it painted before fall. I may just leave it as is for the time being even though I really don't like the black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the final colors...i'm open to suggestions, although I've got 4 or 5 possibilities floating around in my head.

3. Looks great and cannot wait for the color. I think fender lips are are vw bus 67 and below.

4. That didn't take long. ha ha.

5. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

i still dont like the back window. the crown in the roof above it is too much. it does not flow enough. may be look into more of a wrap around lay down window to get rid of the hump in the roof.

rest of the car looks killer.

6. Whatever color you'd like, as long as it's real dark. I could see it in a deep green.

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Gloss black looks A LOT different than flat black.

Car is a stunner for sure man. I think I'd keep the black with copper details, that will look really sharp. Good job!

8. slim53

slim53

I'd be leanin towards a deep candy green....

9. What crown? Perhaps you're seeing something that isn't there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't think there's a better flowing roof that I've seen...I HATE those smashed pancake sloped roof chops I see all the time. they look like ass.

10. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Man that car looks beautiful...The gloss black would look better but what about a DEEP Blue?? It would go well with the copper accents and all that and look real classy. Good luck finishing the rest of it.

11. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

the car looks good the way it is, but i would agree after reading that a deep green would look awsome, is their someone here on the hamb that can color the car a deep green to see what it would look like, since everyone likes to mess with pics

12. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

nice job..love the mystery skirts,,,,it would look great in a dark eggplant color....

13. It was a total guess. I think really dark blue almost black or really dark maroon.

14. jfrolka

jfrolka

I agree that the black just upsets the look of the hudson lines. To me, the lines just flow better with a brighter color but I dread bright colors, on that note i think the best color suitable would be a blue on the darker side. Oh and I followed the chop from the beginning and i think you should size down the rear window, keep its shape but man its an eye sore for me. Your car, do as you please, but thats what i think! Hudsons are bad ass!

15. Hudson, I have been watching your build since the beginning. I LOVE these cars passionately. Yours is definitely an A+ build IMHO.

Your modifications are right on. As for color, Im with you...the black is just not getting it. I would say, a deep, wet, shiney Maroon would make this thing 'Snap'. Ivory pinstripe possibly.

16. Squablow

Squablow

Those rear quarter lips look great. Did you cut them off of a junk bus, or are they repop patch panels or something? They look good, would be perfect to use on a set of skirts i'm working on right now.

17. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

it was not a guess.... you are a VW nerd admit it!!!!

18. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

19. Circle City Kid

Circle City Kid
    from SoCal

20. I got them from Busdepot.com. I think they were 45.00 a peice or so plus shipping. I'm a VW nut from way back when, I'll admit it. ha ha.

21. I vote black upper, and cream lower using that body line to separate the colors. Care to 'shop it and see? I would also french the front headlights the stock chrome rings stand out too much.

Love the car, it's the other Merc.

22. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Paint it northwest salmon color, very popular, veeery popular

23. 'Mo

'Mo

24. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

forest green!!

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Deep Candy Red!!!! And as for the crown I am not seeing one there. That is one of the nicest profiles I have ever seen. I guess I could agree with the back window part about may be putting something less round in there but the car looks fucking rad no matter what.

26. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Wow it really looks great!

I agree with all of those who said a deep maroon.

Another couple of ideas would be something along the lines of the Hirohata Merc colors or how about a rootbeer brown to go with the copper?

27. BOHICA

BOHICA

I agree. I've always thought Hudsons looked best in the traditional dark colors that they came from the factory in. I vote either green or a medium/dark blue.

Beautiful car, BTW. I don't see any crown either, roof looks fine.

28. This car is awesome.

29. kustombypook

kustombypook

THis is my first attempt at Photoshop, so sorry about the crudeness, but I like dark blue.

Attached Files: