Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unwritten Law about steering wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fishslayer82, May 6, 2012.

1. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

Im building a 53 Chevy right now and am thinking about using a 51-52 accessory steering wheel. The only hang up in my mind is using an older wheel on a car built after that wheel was stock...Seems like all you see are newer wheels on cars that are older than when the wheel was stock equipment, especially on hot rods.

Would I being going backwards or am I just imagining this?

Attached Files:

2. Go for it, would look better than any wheel and column out of a new car.

3. It's a great looking wheel, use it. I believe you're overthinking this whole thing.:)

4. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

I probably am, you just never see it the "upgrade" going back in time...like a banjo steering wheel on a 47 ford?

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The wheels in question come from the same time period. No discernable difference in physical properties (i.e. not replacing a 'collapsible' safety wheel).

It isn't an 'upgrade', or 'downgrade' in the functional sense.....just a stylistic change. If it pleases your eye.......why not do it?

Ray

6. ......That's a more dramatic example of going "back". I think most people wouldn't say "Hey, why did you use an older wheel?" I think they would probably just say "Hey that's a very cool steering wheel".

7. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

Good point! Thanks guys

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yup, NObody is gonna say, "Hey, THAT is illegal!" Why? Because it is not illegal, for one thing. Second, few police officers would notice it. They'd mainly be looking for lights out, etc. You're not wrong to ask, but I agree with the others: You are okay installing the wheel you like.

9. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

The Butterfly wheel is cool, BUT your thoughts are right, have you looked at a 59 Impala wheel. But if you prefer the butterfly , remember it's your car.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

most people wouldn't even know the difference. I wouldn't worry about it.

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I have that same wheel on my '52 Chevy.

12. Tin Can

Tin Can

Go for it, if that is the wheel that will make the car everything you want it to be then that is the wheel you should use! JUst my thoughts.

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Be aware your turn signal canceling stuff won't work with a '50-'52 wheel. The center hub of the horn ring won't clear a '53-'54 mast jacket, either.

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Well that's just weird :D As for fishlayer's question, It's a great looking wheel, why not use it. I get what you're saying though, most of the time things get upgraded to the newest, latest and greatest fad or fashion. But, here's an exception, some guys ran deuce grills on 34s, anything goes.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  15. That's a good lookin wheel , so why not use it..

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I agree with you 'Fishslayer', most would not use an older wheel in the day.....

17. i saw do it if thats what you want. and forget'em if they dont like it.