Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unusual steering setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Saw this at the Hollywood Hot Rods tent at the LA Roadsters show.
    What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. 26T

26T
    from Denver

It's done quite a bit now. There is a kit available.

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

search is your friend. There is a great tech article where a HAMBer made his own.

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Looks cool, but if it were mine, I think I'd put a guard on it, thats one piece of gravel away from disaster

5. synthsis

synthsis

no kidding, a little bit of debris or the right pebble in the right place and you've got no steering.

6. Looks pretty durable, but seems like it needs to be better protected from the elements. Even a relatively small piece of stone or other debris finding its way into the gears or chain is going to lock things up in one direction or the other.:eek:

On the other hand, with different tooth counts used on the upper and lower gears (35t/37t?) you'd have a nifty "quick change" steering gear just by flipping the gears around.:cool:

7. I like it and I love the way it looks open but I have to agree, it needs covered.

8. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Speedway has em in their street catalog.......

9. 26T

26T
    from Denver

10. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

dont you have a job?

11. 26T

26T
    from Denver

12. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I told the boss to shove it up his ass and walked out, but he followed me home and begged me to come back, I told him I'd think about it.

13. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Prolly ripped off from the inventor and made from recycled beer cans in some shithole city in China.

B:mad:B

14. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

So sad...yet so true...

B:mad:BBY....

15. metal man

metal man

Scares me , and I'm fearless .

16. RichG

RichG

I like the use of double row chain, but yeah, a cover over the end wouldn't be such a bad idea

17. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I think the double row chain is a good idea, Looks better than the one I saw on the salt in a lakester with just two sprokets, no idler and looked like a bike chain setup for a reverser

18. And again I learn something new tonight....:D

That is a very cool idea...and definetly would help me and my big feet for clearance under the dash, when the time comes that is.;)

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

looks cool, but seems like a Rube Goldberg type of a thing to me.

I'm for a less clttered firewall and feel better having the steering composed of only steering shafts, u-joints.

20. true blue 32 man

true blue 32 man
    from mil wisc

Just because its different than what your used to don't knock it . the very first rodders dared to be different. This is what its all about.I do agree with others about the guard tho.

21. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I dunno,---chains kinda scare me,for some reason.I'm sure it's plenty
    strong,but still--steering is someplace that seems to be sacred to me.If it looks strong--make it stronger.But like some have said--at least a good cover,maybe sealed with some grease in it.

22. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

you wanna see rub goldberg, search for pinto steering cables... these steering setups are plenty strong

23. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I had a friend that did that with a '40 pickup back in the early 70's. It worked great.

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Seen on some 60's dirt track modifieds - for offset and ratio changes. I like that they are on the inside, rock-wise. Gary

Attached Files:

25. cretin

cretin

Not too much more of a threat then getting debris in your motorcycle chain.

26. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Other than it runs up and down not front to back, and it against the firewall so the rock cant just fall out. A rock in a m/c chain locks the rear wheel or kicks the chain off, as opposed to locking the steering and or derailing the steering system.

27. cretin

cretin

I realize the threat is a bit greater because it runs vertically, but I feel the threat isn't increased very much. There is also a decent amount of clearance between it and the firewall.

28. vext

vext
    from Venice

Hey guys,

I'm Zack from Them! I actually designed the chain steering (to keep the P38 wheel (yoke) vertical like in an aircraft) and Troy at HHR built it.

Those of you who suggested a guard is needed are absolutely right! It totally needs a cage around it to keep a death-pebble out of the mechanism. We're just not done with it yet! ;)

Vext (aka Zack)

29. RichG

RichG

Well Zack, you did a nice job designing that, please post more pics of the finished product. I'd think it would look cool with an end cover, sort of like an open primary on a motorcycle, so that the chain would be exposed, giving a more mechanical feel than a big ole metal cover would:D

30. HotRod33

HotRod33

Nice Job... put up a few more pictures when your done with it....