Register now to get rid of these ads!

Universal Wiring Kit input ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mackster, Nov 24, 2006.

1. mackster

mackster

I am looking for a wiring kit for a 1953 Desoto, I am thinking the best option will be an Universal Wiring 12v kit . Any input will be greatly appreciated of what do you have used ?and which one was easier? Do you recommend it? where did you get it from ETC, ETC, ETC... Thnxz,
    MKSTR!:confused:

2. 53burb

53burb

Check yer pm box. KNUX!

3. mackster

mackster

I got it! thanks 53Burb I will check it out. Are you going to post pics later on your progress? What car are you putting it in? Mopar?

4. 53burb

53burb

I have been told by others that the EZ wiring kit is the best that they have dealt with. I have one.

5. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I bought a 16 circuit kit from epay, $110 to my door. I bought it because it was cheap cheap cheap. It worked pretty well and had more than enough circuits for a basic shoebox Ford. The book was ok, but I'm pretty good with that stuff.

6. 53burb

53burb

There is a guy local that sells the EZ kit and I just sent Mackster the info and he is kinda local and open right now and I think he is heading over today to pick it up. I paid like 160.00 for mine. He is shooting for the MoonEyes show coming Dec 9th and I too am doing the same with mine as we speak! KNUX!

7. 53burb

53burb

Yes Mopar. Going in my '53 Plymouth wagon. I will do the same to my '54 Chrysler Windsor 2 dr coupe after the 1st of the year and will try and have that done before 'Paso! KNUX!

8. old beet

old beet

I used an E Z kit in my 49 Merc, and it was easy!!!!! No problems......OLDBEET

9. Big Tony

Big Tony

Here is the kit i'm going to start tackleing on my 54 in the morning and it cost under $200 and it was recommoended by a couple different people who used them. Both were 12 circuit.
    http://www.hotrodwires.com/

10. i used a painless in my 51 plymouth 10 cicrcuit i think. it was a hundred and ten bucks. and it was pretty easy to install.

11. mackster

mackster

I did not know I had some Mopar neighbors so nearby, Thanks for the info, It hit just in the right time! I will get on Monday. As soon just as the same time as I get my floor shifter for my Tudor.:cool: Mooneyes here we come!
    MKSTR!

12. Spike!

Spike!

I work for Ron Francis Wiring and know what goes into our kits. Yes, they aren't the cheapest on the market, but they are quality. Plus, we stand behind every kit we make.

Spike

13. lgh1157

lgh1157

I just finished up re-wiring my Galaxie with the EZ kit, i did it over a month [ weekends ] , at first it was over whelming, after a few deep breaths and a little help it wasn't too bad. Everything works, i used a 1 wire alternator, and a GM headlight switch. If you take it slow, move all the wires you are not working on out of the way, and do one thing at a time and finish it right then, you should be cool

When i started i knew nothing about wiring, but i did so anyone can.

The only thing about the EZ kit was, they dont really supply alot of the connectors so you have to keep going to the store, but for the price it was good, i got mine on ebay for $125 shipped

L

14. Chad s

Chad s

I totaly vote fro Ron Francis. Its more expensive than most, but worth every pennny. A Francis Bare Bones system should be fine, and ir runs about $300.

I would avoid a pannel that has all the wires pre-attached. Number one its a lot more work to run the bulky snakes from the pannel, than running one wire at a time from either the component to the pannnel, or vise vera. Number two, with the prewired kits, all of the accessory wires or unused circuits have to be either cut off, or tied up if you dont use them. Thats a pain in the ass. With the Francis kit, if/when you need to add something, you simply run the wire, and attach it to the barrier strip.

The fuse pannel is not some plastic piece of junk, and the wire quality is very good. The instructions are great, and the only time I needed to call tech support was when I had to wire a third party product to their pannel, and they were probably the best tech support Ive ever used from any company.

I have heard/seen many horror stories with EZ wire. Their crimps on the pre-attached cables are generaly poorly done, and that could become a seriouse fire hazard.

15. 41 C28

41 C28

I plan on useing an EZ wiring kit in my 48 Dodge. I have used an EZ wire kit before and was very happy with it. I did get the one with the color code wires.

16. 53SledSleeve

53SledSleeve

This thread couldn't have come at a better time. I want to completely re-do the wiring on my truck, and I've been debating between an EZ kit or a Ron Francis. I'm leaning more toward the Ron Francis because the panel looks to be a lot better built.

Keep the responses coming!

17. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

Question for the gentleman who works at Ron Francis: Is TEFZEL Wire an option?

18. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

EZ, all the way. Ron Francis is a much better kit, but I didnt really need tech support or instructions, just a low price.

19. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

I've used the Ron Francis kits twice and the EZ Wire kit once. I like the method of connection on the RF kits as pointed out by Chad s. The RF kit is easier with very good instructions but the EZ wire is adequate. I believe you get a few things with the RF kit that costs extra with others.

20. Wyle E Coyote

Wyle E Coyote

I think I've installed every kit that's made. I like the RF kits because they can be installed a LOT cleaner then the pre wired kits. The best kits I've used are from American Autowire, very much like the RF unit but smaller. They may run a few bucks more then the EZ or Painless but they include all of the switches and extras you need, unlike the others.

21. butch27

butch27

Whatever you do , don't use It's a Snap! Short wires- bad instructions- only one sentence answers to your questions and no wire to sell to make connectors if you need to because of SHORT WIRES!

22. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I used a kwik wire and was very happy with it. The EZ is a cheap knockoff of this kit.

23. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

i've used wiremaster panels from affordable street rods
    and been very happy with them. Rich the owner is always
    very helpful if you have any questions. he builds them, sells
    them and is the tech line! he is a car guy not just a sells guy!
    www.affordablestreetrods.com

24. mackster

mackster

I got the EZ kit now, and like 53burb said it is a great product! I am going to install it over the weekend,let you all know how it goes...:cool: