Register now to get rid of these ads!

Universal emergency brake kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moneymaker, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Hey guys,

Any ideas on getting a universal differential emergency brake kit besides Speedway?

Similar to this.

[​IMG]

2. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I contacted Speedway, they told me they only have them for Ford 9". I need one for a 10 bolt Cheby.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There in nowhere on the front of a 10-bolt to attach it. Ford 8" and 9" rears (and some others) have a removable pinion section, and hence, a ring of bolts around the pinion seal. That is where the brackets bolt on.

You'd have to build a huge bracket that went all the way back to the axle housing tubes. Might be easier to just find a complete drum or disc setup at a yard, with a working parking brake. Or buy or build a new setup.

4. 41 C28

41 C28

5. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

6. You know that small caliper probably won't actually do the job in an emergency situation.

Better idea is to set up the OEM emergency brake system in the drums or on discs use
    the correct calipers with the cable operated emergency brake arms.

There has been a few posts on here about the results of an either missing or inoperative
    emergency brake system.