Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unchopping a chopped 57 Ford Ranchero windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exStreamliner, Mar 6, 2011.

1. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Since the Retractable Roof section was double wall construction - the inner structure had to be removed... if we were chopping the car to match rather than matching an existing chop we would have mounted the roof section a little higher and farther bark in more of a stock location... but since we were shaving off every fraction of an inch so we wouldn't have to raise the back section we were forced to extend to Retract roof farther forward and extend a channel to mate up to the cowl section... this is the inner structure...

[​IMG]

2. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This shot shows the cuts... windshield cut out was required due to severe lowering of the top panel... then it was reboxed for strength... the curved portion below the drip rail will then be moved forward after the channel in in place... notice the A pillar angle on the cut off chopped door compared to the Retract A pillar...

[​IMG]

3. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Excellent. Amazing what can be done with a little parts swapping. This may end up being the new and improved way to chop a Ranchero. There seems to be a lot of really rusted out Retractibles laying around.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Makes me want to buy up some AMT kits to make a '56 Ford Wagon "Dream Car". Finding '1950's doner cars for parts must be quite a project in itself.

5. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Although the contour of the rear Ranchero and the front Retractable were really close... a relief cut was made on each side to insure no bind was being placed on the rooof panels as they were being welded... one advantage of the roof section was that the rear of the Retract panel had an angled edge built in... so instead of butt welding two skins... the rear skin had a ridgid support to weld to - which held the contour and alievated some distortion...

[​IMG]

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow great work ! Great way to save a fucked up chop. People probably thought you were nuts hanging on the that retractable roof piece, way to show them !

7. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This is the craftsman that is doing the work... shaking his head at the insanity that I thrust apon him... Ideas and spare parts are my area and Scott has to deal with it...

[​IMG]

8. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Another shot of the inner support structure before the skin was attached

[​IMG]

9. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Absolutely Amazing, and your doing all this in Canton Ohio!

11. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This was one of the next painstaking tasks before the roof skin was welded in place... since the Retract roof section sat higher with a rubber seal that sat on the stainless header panel... the molding had to be cut away, recontoured to mate up with the Ranchero drip molding... this required a tight fit but enough clearance for paint...

[​IMG]

12. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The drip rail rail joint had to be removed and the area built up so the Retract front stainless could attach without two step downs... a bumber because then the stainless had to be reshaped because they had a stainless molding on the Retracts

[​IMG]

13. Pharouh

Pharouh

Man,you're braver than I am! Love the early Rancheros,too.

14. phukinartie

phukinartie

"Unfucking shit up" is always harder... I have no talent for it,Nice work

15. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Nice work so far, looks like its starting to come together.

16. b-bob

b-bob

You are going to have all the "experts" scratching their heads, wondering why that roof is that way. Great work.

17. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I would have been one of them several months ago... I had the parts but never paid attention to the fact that the factory had so many changes from one series to another... most 57 guys know the wheel base is two inches longer and the quarters are seven inches longer... but, who figured they would change the A pillar and widen the roof

18. I found out how diffrent ford made the 300 and the 500 a few years ago throw in a windowless wagon and you have a real fun time theres a guy down in Longbeach alif that sells nice 500-300 body parts fair. nice work.

19. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Not the best picture but it shows a couple of steps... first the Retractable boxed top structure was capped with stainless on the outside and a wider inner molding on the inside... they utilized cast (potmetal?) wing windows so the seal was totally differant than the 300 Series that had a door top surround... the Retract lip had to he heated and bent back like the 300 Series so the door surround would clear... also the new inner struture was capped (a lot easier before the skin was was welded on)... you can also see the lip of the Retractable roff section

[​IMG]

20. Toner283

Toner283

Cool Build. What are the plans for the rest of the car? Y block & chrome reversed wheels?

21. F&J

F&J

Amazing workmanship and planning. I too, did not know of any of the differences 300/500/Skyliner.

Very cool to put up so many pics that will help others here on hamb.

22. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Phase two... stitching them together... 300 Series plus 500 Series would that make this a 400 Series.... how about a Kustom 400 Ranchero

[​IMG]

23. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I'm going to use one non-factory 57 Ford part

[​IMG]

Boryca likes this.
  24. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Not sure... I'm running chrome wheels with the small 57 caps on my wagon... I have Y-blocks in my 27 and my 57 wagon... might do an FE with an AOD conversion... right now my mind isn't past the remaining body work and black paint

25. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Thom, Looks like you found something to keep you busy. That sure seems to be a lot of work to use the retractable parts. Does look good . Will keep an eye out as you make further progress. Will make a nice Kustom '57 Ranchero. Have you ever thought about using hardtop window frames. Might make for a clean Kustom.

Dave

26. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Carey and I are starting back on the 27 too... As far as the Ranchero goes there were two reasons for going with the Retract parts... one, I already had CO rust free pieces... second, if I replaced the damage with a Ranchero cowl I would have to re chop a top and deal with having a windshield cut down for it

27. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Subscribed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

B:eek:B

28. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Awesome job guys! I am impressed with the attention to detail. This is no hack and whack chop job.When finished you will need personalized license plates saying (ONLY ONE). A lot of work but well worth it when done.

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Terrific work. I chopped a 59 El Camino using a hardtop windshield, it was a lot of work for 2", but worth it.

30. terryr

terryr
    from earth

Interesting facts about the different windshields in the same year.

Clever solution to the problem.

I had a neighbor who was a professional bodyman. He won awards at shows. He chopped a truck bigtime and then couldn't cut a windshield to fit. After he used up a bunch of glass he finally sold it as is.