Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Unblown fuel dragster from the 1960s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KangaRod, Jul 30, 2014.

1. KangaRod

KangaRod

Some general questions for the knowledgeable crew here.

In the 1960s both the NHRA & the AHRA had classes for unblown Fuel Dragsters.
    I believe the classes went from A/FD down to D/FD.
    The AHRA even had an E/FD class
    My questions are does anyone still know the weight breaks for those classes?
    Were there any engine size restrictions in those classes?
    I believe A/FD was part of Top Fuel Eliminator; where did the other classes fit in?
    Modified Eliminator or Super Eliminator?
    Regards from KangaRod

2. aaggie

aaggie

I don't remember the weight breaks but there was an F/FD class that was mostly Hilborn injected Flatheads.
    There was an interesting short wheelbase dragster from Houston that ran a 180 degree crankshaft that sounded downright strange but ran strong. It's been too long to even try and remember his name.

3. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

My 1965 AHRA Rule Book under the Dragster Division - Gas Dragster Section states cars are "classified by cubic inches only, no weight requirements". However, there's no similar statement under the Fuel Dragster Section. But, when you look on page 19 under Dragster Division Requirements, Wheels & Tires it states "Spoke-type magnesium wheels, light weight automotive-type wire wheels or motorcycle wheels may be used on front axle only, providing the cars total weight, excluding driver, does not exceed 1800 lbs.". The requirements for Dragster Division engines, also on page 19 states they could be of any type, with any modifications, and may be in any location. These are the only pages in the rule book where dragster requirements are addressed. I hope this helps but AHRA rules in 1965 clearly needed more clarification.
    100_6191.JPG 100_6194.JPG 100_6195.JPG

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014