Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods TX Assembled Vehicle to CA Registration ?'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dead-broke, Oct 4, 2017.

1. dead-broke

dead-broke

First time caller long time listener :) Finally getting back into the game after not having a car for a while so I'll be more active on the board, but my issue is I'm looking at a 1927 Ford Dragster Roadster pretty gnarly looking with a fiberglass tub. It's a hodgepodge of different parts, sellers says frame is a 27 ford, body is circa 50's fiberglass which looks to be true, but is registered as a 1989 ASVE in Texas on the certified copy of the title (he lost the original). The VIN on the title is the same as what is stamped on the passenger side frame rail.

Questions:
    I found this info and the CHP inspection worries me (it's very insane looking) along with the statement of construction, will I absolutely need those things? https://www.dmv.com/ca/california/custom-vehicle-registration

This also claims "specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification" do I need that too? Seems sort of insane since people drive all kinds of things around Los Anegels? https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/smogfaq

In general wondering about the difficulty in registering this out here, I want it but don't want to get stuck with something I can't drive and can't sell if it can't be registered here, but maybe I worry too much so just wondering how other people navigated the process. Thanks so much! -David

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sounds like this will be a tough one - search for a car title service that deals in old cars to help answer you questions

3. I'd keep looking, this sounds like a handful !!!!

4. dead-broke

dead-broke

Good idea joker I'm going to do that, yeah this one seems a little messy just don't want to get stuck with something I love and can't drive