Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two Sets of Wheels and Tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hr31hr, Dec 22, 2010.

1. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

I don't need them but I am considering buying a differnt set of wheels and tires. I currently run steel wheels with 48 caps and rings. I am considering American Racing Salt Flats as an alternate set. How many f you have another set to change to?

2. Mickm

Mickm

I have two sets. The Halibrands and a set of red solids with rings and caps.
    I have not put tires on the solids yet. I too will be interested to see how many have more than one set and if they swap them.
    Cheers!
    Mickm

3. squirrel

squirrel

only two sets? huh.....

4. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

More than two? Pics!!!

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

My kripple kart currently runs steel wheels with 54 Chrysler New Yorker hubcaps and 2 1/2 inch wide whites for a late 50s Kustom look. I'm just waiting for delivery of a set of Vogue narrow whites with a gold stripe which I will be mounting on chrome smoothies as an alternative, shooting for a 63ish Kustom look. I just thought it would be nice to have options so I'm not tied to one look.
    Paul

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Having 2 sets is like having 2 cars.. Wheels and tires change the whole look.. I think you have a good plan..........

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

One of my cars I have two sets of wheels and tires. I say go for it!

8. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Having multiple wheels sets makes your car new again. Changing mine again this winter.

Attached Files:

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I've got a set of Americans and a set of steelies powder coated red with trim rings and '48 hubcaps...I can do a switch in 30 minutes.
    Makes for a completely different look.
    I'm thinking about getting a third set...

10. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

On my OT cars I always ran steel rally wheels with several different styles of center caps and rings. I run steel wheels on my Stude with whitewalls and Moon style aluminum discs and I have a set of Baby Moons and trim rings when I want a change but am planning to pickup some aftermarket wheels and blackwalls. I really like the Salt Flat wheels but will probably cheap out and buy chrome reverses. As others have said all it takes is a switch of rolling stock to make your car "new" again.

11. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

How about some comparison pictures!

12. I run steelies with rings and caps on my roadster But I have a set of chromies with black walls that i can change to. Like others have said it changes the whole car!!

13. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Mine

Attached Files:

14. Wheel-E

Wheel-E

MickM's Cal Kid would look great even sitting on concrete blocks... in my view. I love it. I think that the "real" Kid actually has a set of Real Wheels on it (look like Halibrands). I could be wrong. Here's a link that tells about them. http://www.realrodderswheels.biz/HISTORY.htm

15. red wires & fenders
    [​IMG]
    Radirs & no fenders
    [​IMG]

16. for a total change I have 16x4.5 ford wide 10.25 bolt pattern with 650 and 600 tires. The other look is 10.25 bolt pattern bart wheels 15x12, 295/50-15 and 15x8, 225/50-15. Now that makes a dramatic difference.

17. I really dig your car with the red wires on it!

18. it's close to a 50/50 split among friends to which look is better!:cool:

19. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

Well after waiting two months for the fronts I finally mounted up my second set. They are 15x4.5 with 5.60-15 and 15x6 with 8.20-15 American Racing Salt Flats and Firestone Deluxe Champions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

It always shocks me how a mix of wheels (and even tires) can change the feel of a car.

21. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

I used to get made fun of by my pops when i was younger for switching my wheels it seemed like weekly. i had center lines, rally, welds, american racing, but now that rubber is so expensive and i have a family i stick with my buick wheels, big and littles, all black steel and dependable. plus in my opinion all black is sinister!

22. cmarcus

cmarcus

BTT - would love to see more wheel/tire changes, unless there is another thread on here...didn't see a specific one when searching.

23. fordcpe

fordcpe

First set was 56 caddy red spokes with 560 15 firestone and Radir checker flag pie crusts.Now 14" general Jumbos with Diamond back radials.Nexted maybe chrome reverse.Darrell

Attached Files:

24. I had two sets for the roadster,,steelies and salt flats.

Sold the roadster and it was wearing salt flats,,I sold the steelies to Brad (Brad's Monster) HRP

25. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

After seeing the burnouts at Torquefest,. I plan to have 2 sets ( when I get my car done) 1 to drive there and 1 to drive home :)

26. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I am considering the same, however, after watching three friends have tires come apart at speed and damage fenders and bodies, I am wandering about tire life. the ones I witnessed were all three older tires. Not worn out tires, just several years old. Having two sets would only make that worse. Of course if it's a car that never sees highway speeds maybe it is not a problem. What are your experiences?