Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two Lane Blacktop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob37, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Walt Bailey owns one of the 55's and brings it to some Nostalgic meets, I spoke with him at the York US 30 meet a couple of years ago. Another is here in Maryland and is supposed to be at a friends private 409 gathering in May along with the 32 and a 58, both clones, from American Graffiti. That should be a good cookout. Bailey's car is the original from TLB, they have their own website and history of all the cars used including the camera and stunt cars.:)

2. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  3. Dontiac

Dontiac

Now did anybody else catch the movie that was on right after TLB? When setting the DVR I noticed that next was "The Pace That Thrills". It mentioned racing so I got it and watched later. Shot in 1952 it was actually a motorcycle racing flick but there were cool cars in the background shots. Full fendered 32 5W coupe with slight chop and rake. 36 roadster with chopped carson top and dual spotlights. 46-48 Ford woody with a spotlight mounted front and center of the roof. 49 Caddy ambulance. 40 Willys-stock 4 dr. It was actually a good movie too with a lot of cool bike racing action.

4. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Didn't catch it, but I'll tell ya movie I got a huge kick outta watching for the cars in it.
    Fried Green Tomatoes. For those that have seen it, cut me some slack, I just watched it for the first time last week (even though it was made in 1991).
    For those that have not seen it, watch it. Due to the story spanning over one woman's lifetime, you get to see cars/trucks from 1920's, 30's, 40's+50's.
    Here are two examples.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. primed34

primed34

The coupe is a Chevy, but you got to look close to tell. I saw the movie when it first came out. Got an improper passing ticket later that night with my own '55 Chevy.

6. Kirsten

Kirsten

Watched it for the first time last night and loved it. Best quote from the movie is when James Taylor first challenges G.T.O. to the race and says: "Make it 3 yards motherfucker and you got yourself an automobile race..." Classic.

7. I watched that the other night and while the racing action and the scenery and stuff were all interesting, the story itself left me saying WTF? ... maybe it helps to watch after smoking one of those funny hand-rolled cigarettes some people like.

8. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

He doesn't say that to GTO. He says it to the guy with the green "duece" that's really a Model A.

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Well I have to admit you got me excited about the movie.... watched it and was disappointed...

10. Kirsten

Kirsten

My bad, thanks for the correction. Still the best quote ever...

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would also like to to see a modern day version of the movie that makes sense
    Not one, watching them sit and think for half the movie:confused: and a real ending, instead of it looking like they just ran out of money to finish it with.:confused:

......................or maybe James Taylors grandson could drag the old 55 out of the barn,dust it off, (adjust the jetts:D) and finish the race that never ended 40 years ago???

12. daddio211

daddio211

You can rent it on NetFlix! I know they have at least two copies, my dad and I rented it the same week, LOL.

13. I watched "The Pace That Thrills" after Two Lane Blacktop and found it to be much more entertaining. Some pretty neat old bikes in it also. Nice '40-'41 Indian Chief with a side hack.
    Bad plot and terrible dialogue in TLB. Cool cars though. American Graffiti it is not.

14. 303racer

303racer

[​IMG]

here's the cool car of the movie the little green coupe with the 427 fe [​IMG] were is it now ?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  15. Have to admit I was amused when one of them gets out of the GTO at a gas station and leaves the keys in it and you hear the buzzer. Sounded familiar, having had several Pontiacs that vintage over the years.

16. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's worth buying the DVD just to hear the dialogue of the people who made the movie in the special features. I still don't get the ending.

17. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

You gotta be stoned to watch it!:D:cool::eek:

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awile back on the HAMB someone posted a shot of the green coupe in it's present state. IIRC a blue colored street rod style build. Looked better back when.

19. white64

white64
    from Maine

This movie reminded me of 1972, had a friend with a stripped out 64 Comet, no insulation, no upolstery but one nasty sbf and a toploader that you would hear whine all the time (especially in reverse).. the shot of Taylor going through the gears, with the trans whining and the doors rattling was just how it was. Add the pot smoke when parked and it's period perfect. And the buzzer on the GTO, again back in the late 60 and early 70 there were two types of cars roaming the streets, the stripped early 60's no nonsense, comfort be damned and the muscle cars off the showroom floor. For those of you back then think ..how many times did you just take a drive, end up somplace, roll one and just sit listening to music... (granted, boring to watch but mellows the soul) and then pound the hell out your car on your stoned ride back to civilisation? We called 'em "hawt suppahs" back then, tire smoke, The Guess Who "blasting" through the dash speaker (if you had a radio, sounds systems? WTF was that?) and your foot to the metal (sans carpet under you foot).

20. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

Its just a movie about a few days in the life of a racer and his mechanic buddy is all....like or or hate...Many people find it boring and no point to it.

TLB and Hot Rod (Willys) are my favorite 2 car movies ever...

21. white64

white64
    from Maine

Citizen Kane it ain't, check your movie with a plot and a moralistic ending expectations at the door... Grab a beer some wings and watch it by yourself, because your family and maybe most of your buds won't appreciate two 70's stoners Taylor and Wilson, "acting" like stoners. Listen to the big block chevy, get in the mindset of 35 years ago, pre disco music, 35 cents a gallon gas, hip huggers and wide belts. The movie won't change your life, it ain't that kind of movie.

22. Larry T

Larry T

Yep,
    Kinda like EasyRider with extra wheels!
    Larry T

23. reverendjim

reverendjim

blockbuster has the dvd for 7 99

24. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Yeah, it was called "The Fast and the Furious"! Don't worry, I just saw they made a fresh new pile for ya!

The movie was not about the cars

25. Sscott55

Sscott55
    from Ojai

It actually is a 31 ford with a chevy grill,

I am friends with the original owner. Here is the car now unfortunately.........

[​IMG]

he also owns the truck in this shot which is still in original movie condition

[​IMG]

26. Kerry67

Kerry67

It is a cheesy movie but that has not stopped me from watching it 100 times. Probably watch it 100 more.....

27. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Not trying to sound snotty but, you "get it" or you don't.

Actually, if you don't(?), you're probably normal, which I'm not.

28. white64

white64
    from Maine

I feel the same way about "The California Kid", the acting is ok BUT! the background music (ie IS AWFUL OUT OF PLACE NOISE) is Charlie's Angels 1977 schtick! Somebody put some Buddy Holly or the Five Satins in the background and the whole movie would change!

29. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

By far my favorite Hot Rod movie of all time (not counting the even more genius '7 Second Love Affair' since A. it's a documentary and B. it's less than an hour).

I love the lack of dialogue, the fact that no one in the movie has a name and the crazy ending. I know people who saw it when new and didn't realize that it was supposed to end that way!

TLBT is revered in art movie circles- the only existentialist hot rod film!

30. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The fast and the furious was a remake of The fast and the furious,
    (or at least it used the same name) Not Two lane blacktop:confused: