Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two kids on the salt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Jack must have eventually found the gears Mark. When he came down last weekend, he had a LIONS trophy with him dated 7-20-69. I remember that day because they shut down the races for 15 minutes to broadcast man's first words from the moon walk. I sure as hell didn't remember that Jack trophied with the bike that afternoon though.

Yes, the bike looked pretty damn nice in '69. But we're taking it up a notch this time. Gonna' try to trophy at some bike shows this time.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  2. Dr.Theo

Dr.Theo

that is pretty sweet man

3. firingorder1

firingorder1

Dean, Is there any chance after Bonneville that the "wee beastie" might make a trip to El Mirage say, Sept.? Work prevents me from making SpeedWeek so I going to head for the outlaw meet in Sept. right after El Mirage.

4. I'm really scared to get it near the salt or the dirt. Jack is talking about riding it again. I don't know what scares me more, the 40 year old tubing, or a 60 year old riding it!:eek::eek:

5. firingorder1

firingorder1

The dirt and salt haven't changed since you were last there(nor most of the people that are still going!). I'm 63 and had the sidecar out a couple of weeks ago for its first lap. Ran 107 with a very nervous rider (I did the welding). But I'm looking forward to the July Elmo.

Even if it doesn't make a lap you will do everyone a favor by putting it on display.

[​IMG][/IMG]

6. Big piece of the puzzle fell into place this afternoon. Hot Rod Don donated this beautiful spool to our effort. Will now get the rims ordered. Our goal of an August fire up is looking good!

I was at the El Mirage opener in May. Damn, it's changed in 35 years. Spectators completely lining the south side of the course, and the pits ran the full length on the north side. Must have been 5000 people on the lake bed. In the 60's I bet there wern't 500 there during a meet. Big fancy air conditioned timing trailer, PA system, concession stands. Looked like SCTA went Hollywood! Don't be surprised if our little bike shows up some day for photos.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  7. RDR

RDR

dean lowe, your my hero...hope you boys never grow up!!

8. Dean, glad you got your front spool. I have drawn a complete blank. I had over 50 small Hondas and scads of parts from an old dealership along with several bins of race parts. Not much useful left. Thanks for keeping us posted.

9. Modeler Teysik

Modeler Teysik

Hmmm... I've been inspired

10. Never!! I promise!!

Read my signature. I live by it.

11. mr.smith

mr.smith

cool bike nd cool story!

12. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Dean I know you are working hard to get the little bike ready. Looks like you will make it on time.I am showing the folks what you did after the little bike, the "Liner". Did not pee a drop but beautiful just the same. Remember the first time Jack tried to make a run and it landed on its side. We all thought that Jack would be pissed or scared. When we got to the Liner Jack was laughing his ass off.

Attached Files:

dearjose likes this.
  13. firingorder1

firingorder1

Dean, If you haven't grown up by now I don't think you have much chance of achieving "adulthood" :)

P.S. It beats the daylights out of sitting around listening to ateries harden!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  14. He wasn't laughing so much the second time it went down. That's when I decided to load it up. Wish I had the wheels back, and Jim Cash had a feather up his ass! :(

15. The Liner is amazing! Shame it went down.

Great thread BTW - and the best part is that this story isn´t over yet.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  16. Wheels are ordered. Got all the main pieces in place. nailing down small details now. I need a Francisco Racing Fuel decal for the fuel tank. I've googled vintage decals to death, and followed up all the leads offered so far with no luck. Don Francisco sold a lot of fuel and bean oil. There has to be one of his decals out there somewhere. Any leads greatly appreciated.

17. Spent the day making up the exhaust. The original Honda head pipe somehow got lost over the last 40 years. We were givien a head pipe from a '65 S 90. Problem was our engine is a '63. Apparently Honda changed the head casting. I had to cut and change the bend. Also the original CR 110 megaphone we used, and been cut and modified for something else over the years. I had to re make the front 6" of the megaphone, and make up a new slip joint sleeve. After a day of cutting, fitting, and welding, it's now complete, and ready for the chrome shop Monday. Got a Francisco decal on the way from Draglink Decals. They have an incredible website with hundreds of vintage water slide decals available.

It's getting closer.

Attached Files:

18. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Dean I just saw the pictures and it's looking great. Wasn't there a second aluminum motor mount for a 80 Yamaha????? :confused:

19. Yes there was Mark. Ran the Yamaha once at OCIR and quickly realized that was a waste of time. Bruce Browner (remember him?) bought the whole Yamaha bike for his brother. I have no idea what happened to the motor mount.

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Dean, I'd never heard of Drag Link Decals before...looked at their website and ordered some Lions Drag Strip water slides for the heap...thanks for the heads up, Doug

21. Yeah, Doug, Karpo, who owns the M&M Fiat, gave me the heads up on Draglink Decals. They've got the largest selection of vintage decals I've seen. Great stuff.

22. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Dean, just got back from Jacks. Spent a few days goofing around and mending gates. Showed Jack how to burn wire with his new welder. He pick up a gallon of "POP" for the bike, should be exciting to see that little engine belch fire again. Hope the rod stays where it suppose to. He seems really excited about driving that bike, Christine I'm not so sure. We may be 60, but going fast is still the same rush. I told Jack how good it felt to drive my sons flatbottom last week after a 24 year absences from the driver seat. Jack told me that he wants that record back. Go get that record guys!!!!

23. Thats AWESOME! You crazy young tearaways!!

24. Dean, neat to see the pictures and the bike in action. Bonneville, next year!!!

25. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

That is awesome to see that bike back in action. Congrats to the Lowe Bros. for a job done well in '69 and now for restoring that history. Steven.

26. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

When they gonna invent smellavision??? Would love to smell the nitro man.

27. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Damn kids never learn!

Way to go guys, I'm rooting for ya!

28. Deano, that looks like he had more fun than a kid who found the keys to the candy store. Bravo and well done!
    HG :cool: