Register now to get rid of these ads!

Twin Flatheads for the Street! How nuts is THAT?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlowLearner, Sep 21, 2003.

1. I know the saying; “Simplificate, and add lightness”, but….I’ve got three late flatmotors (in storage just now, DAMN!), two 8BA’s and a Mercury. And, I bought a ’36 Packard rolling chassis awhile back. Thirty-six was the last year (I think) for the I-beam front axle. Think Ford F350 frame. Front rails fully boxed. Side rails are 8”channel at their deepest. (stock rear axle ratio is 5.26:1!)…, the original motor was likely 800lbs.+. The same chassis (I think) was used for the Packard V12, and I’m told that motor weighs in over 1000 lbs.!

Original plan was to shorten the big fella (wheelbase is 127”!) to more like a deuce size (108?). Then, I hit on my late 20’s (LeMans) Bentley build plan. Then, I started worrying that a lil ole flat V8 would be lost in a frame designed for a big straight eight, and might not have the suds to move this heavyweight quickly.

I started lusting after Pierce-Arrow V12s (Seagrave used'em for fire trucks til the 70’s), or a Buick straight eight…a Jag six, or even (God help me) a Reo Gold Comet 6 from a truck. Still…I’m on a tight budget.

Anyway, I went with my wife while she bought some clothes today. Works for both of us, I get to pick up a car mag to read while she tries stuff on. I picked up the latest Rodders Journal…..and saw a tiny little pic of the “Freight Train” digger. HMMMMmmmmm.

I haven’t done all the measuring yet, but I THINK I could fit two of the flatmotors between the front cross member and the (ginormous) X member of this thing. Think Brooklyn Bridge! (no, wait, that’s light and airy), think railroad bridge (e.g., The Firth of Forth).

So, whaddaya think? Link the two together with double row roller chain on sprockets. Maybe mount the two together on a sub frame, using solid mounts at the water pumps, then mount the sub to the chassis with donuts or something. Twin ignitions, or just run both from a single Nash (Twin-Fire) distributor? Any thought on how to phase the two?

I need input how to DO it! Tell me how I CAN! [​IMG]

2. dam now I won't be able to sleep to night will be to busy building you car in my dreams hahaha no really go for it

3. autocol

autocol

i hate chain drives... too much stretching and adjusting...

perhaps each motor could have its own flywheel, which could drive a gear mechanism between them, which would feed into the gearbox?

just thinking out loud... i don't know whether the teeth on a stock flywheel (used by the starter motor) would hold up to constant use...

4. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

It sounds too complicated to me.

Go for a Seagraves 462! And if you can't find one, just use a Lincoln V-12 flathead. I know it's a lot smaller, but it would be a LOT simpler and less expensive to machine cool twin-plug heads for a Lincon engine than it would be to hook up two V-8s.

I love the look of the Jaguar six, too. The cam cover and the SUs look great, and have that Bentley under-the-hood look.

A lot of that old-time charm comes from all the ancilliary items. Using polished brass, copper and aluminum for all the bits under the hood. It doesn't matter as much what block you have. Beautiful brackets, linkages, lines and covers on almost any old engine will probably capture the look you lust after.

5. Machinos

Machinos

V16 hotrod...mmmmm

6. mikes51

mikes51

There was a 53 Stude at Billetproof yesterday, had 2 flatheads. Most of us thought the front one wasn't hooked up. Owner said they were linked via some hydraulic system.
    I didn't understand it by looking at it, perhaps someone else knows about this type of hookup or knows of the car.

7. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I want to know, too. I've been wondering for a couple months but never asked anything because I'll most likely never do anything. I remember hearing that they did in in the 60s when they outlawed nitro, and I thought it would be cool to do it on the street for some extra UMPH.

I would love to know the ins and outs of them. Is there some old book about twin engine dragsters?

8. Deyo, there's a great site on those dragsters, at:

http://www.twotogo.homestead.com/index.html

I only wish there was more tech. (Of course none of the draggers worried about cooling at road speeds).

It was Flipper got me thinking about the twin thing awhile ago, with this thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=107653&Forum=All_Forums&Words=twin%20engine&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=106259&Search=true#Post107653.

Still pondering! [​IMG] Keith

9. orange52

orange52

You might want to check with the tractor pulling crowd. they run multiple V8's a lot. A friends dad used to run a pulling tractor with five Big Block Olds motors on it. Not a clue how he hooked them up, all I've seen is pictures and the trophy's

10. [ QUOTE ]

Go for a Seagraves 462! .....
    A lot of that old-time charm comes from all the ancilliary items. Using polished brass, copper and aluminum for all the bits under the hood. It doesn't matter as much what block you have. Beautiful brackets, linkages, lines and covers on almost any old engine will probably capture the look you lust after.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Deuce Rails, I'm all for the Seagrave..if one showed its pretty head(s) [​IMG]

I'm with you on "ancillaries"!

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i like this idea ALOT and i don't think the chaindrive would be much of a problem for THIS setup. i've seen it used on some dragsters with LOTS more torque than you'll have. i think it would be the easiest and most economical way to go about it.

what type of body are you planning on running on this thing? sounds like you are looking to do something along the lines of the Blastolene Special Jay Leno just bought?? WAY COOL!!

12. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

SLOWLEARNER: send me an email, i have some questions for you off board but i see you have no email in your profile. [email protected]

thanks
    Mike

13. av8

av8

How about a clone of the Kenz & Leslie twin-motor truck that ran at Bonneville during the first SpeedWeek in 1949? They were back the following year with their sweet streamliner, but that truck helped them sort out the driveline scheme.

14. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

15. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

Nah.. what you really need to setup is a twin differential setup... two transmissions, two clutch pedals... a shifter thats a horse shoe so you can shift em at the same time...

Where one motor drives one tire, the other drives the other side.

start one up, in second the other in first... have a smokey donut. Or one in first and one in reverse...

Only side effect of it would be... you'd need a cab over style car... or a super high boy! [​IMG]

16. RocknRod, how come I don't think you're taking this thing seriously.

av8, Thanx for that pic. Kenz & Leslie sure thought outside the box. I'm looking to put the two together tho, for lots of underhood motor.

a/fx, Thanks for those sites. I especially liked the Flat Jack photos. Dunno how I'm gonna cope with cooling, and pumps for the rear block.

kustombuilder, here's a coupla pics of inspiration:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First one is a shorter wheelbase than I've got right now. The second one (I think) is just about the same w/b as I've got. (Sorry for tiny pic)

I can't bend tin, so I'm thinking fabric body over wood (ash? spruce?) framing.
    Great site here on that:
    http://www.nwvs.org/Technical/RonLimbrickSpeedster/MMSpeedster.shtml

I figure I've got time and bucks for ONE car (only)! I want it to be a challenge to build (it is already, just scrounging), and a blast to drive. Doesn't have to be fastest, just feel that way. Loud, and lotsa wind! [​IMG]

Still trolling for tech tips, guys

17. Ive got a flathead and a half[to spare....]\ its a 336 cu in monster from an F7 big job-1951 Ford fire truck/lo mi......no plans for it NOW....sold the car.

18. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Check your archives for the article on Tom McMullen's Austin. Had two little chevy motors in it in the early 60s. To hear the story, it was pretty impressive, and had ....ahem.... modest technology. The article I recall was in PHR in the early 60s.... not sure which issue.

19. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i like it! the fabric body sounds neat, kinda like the REALLY old airplanes but bendin tin is fun, there are TONS of videos out now and if your not in a big hurry i think you would really enjoy the learning experience of building your own body from aluminumm or steel. go real old skool and gas weld it all (the body that is). someday i WILL build my own body from sratch!!

good luck, keep us posted.

20. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

[ QUOTE ]
    ...the Blastolene Special Jay Leno just bought??

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he really buy the Blastolene? Good for the builder, Randy Grubb. Does anyone have any idea what it went for?

21. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't bend tin, so I'm thinking fabric body over wood (ash? spruce?) framing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't rule out being able to make your own body out of aluminum. If you're going to make a wooden frame anyway, you can certainly stretch fabric over it, but it's not a lot harder to beat aluminum panels to cover it.

I would strongly recommend Ron Colvell's video called "Shaping Aluminum with Hand Tools" available at www.covell.biz. (You can also get it from Eastwood.) It's not cheap, but its informative as hell. Check out metalshapers.org too.

For inspiration, here's a guy who's making his own Daytona Cobra Coupe:
    http://members.aol.com/COUPECHUCK/index.htm

[​IMG]

The body you're talking about is a LOT simpler.

Just consider it.

22. Hey Deuce, thanks, that Cobra is Art!!
    There's a nice bunch of pics of a simple metal body being formed by a guy over here:

http://www.highrail.com/spdbld1.html

I admit, it has me thinking.

23. Thanks body guys. As always, Unk, thanks for the links.

I'm more concerned just with the mechanics of the twin motor set up. Wondering if it is truly feasible in street trim.

If I'm linking the two at the cranks, I can't drive the pumps on the back motor from the crank pulley (or I'd have to split the two in order to change a belt. If I used the early cam and cover for the back one, maybe I could drive the pumps off a pulley on the cam snout. Only problem there would be driving the pumps at half (or so) speed, unless I messed with pulley ratios. AND, cuz the flattie cam is gear driven, the pumps would be spinning opposite to their usual rotation. How much would it matter. (OKAY!, I could correct the rotation with some gear & pulley off the cam snout). At least I wouldn't have to pull the two motors apart to change a belt. Maybe this thing could work!

And, I'd probably have to take ALL of the ignition off a (Twin) distributor on the front motor. I've got stock (Ford) aluminum heads in both early and late design. I could use the early heads for the front and late for the rear and tie them together in a branched line to the rad.
    And run an extension of the lower rad hose along the oil pan to the rear pumps.

I'm getting serious about this!! [​IMG] Looking for tech suggestions.

24. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

WHAT??? you're nuts! A ChrisTitusCertifedDEATHROD(tm) for damn sure! I wouldn't want to be within a block's radius when that chain let go!

[​IMG]

DO IT!!!!!!

I've always liked the frankenstinian El Dorado/toronado, etc fwd for the front, standard rwd V8 driveline for the rear kind of idea.

25. Scribe

Scribe

From what I understand the Blastolene sold for DEEP in the six figures. Randy had a hell of a lot of work in that car, so he really deserves it.

I've been interested in twin engine cars for a while now, as my dad has always dreamed of building a twin engine Model A. The freight train style twins with a chain coupler seems to be the best way to go. Scott Guildner restored The Invader for Ron Martinez, and he was touching some stuff up at the shop a few months ago and I got to really look it over. With twin side-by-side engines/transmissions with two differentials sharing a common center axle, it really is a frighting "show only" kinda ride. If one motor caughs or surges, the thing will jump sideways or start doing doughnuts. Of course the problem with twin motors in a small car like a Model A is how to cool them both, but the best we've been able to think up so far is to put one radiator in the stock posistion, and another in the trunk with a fan and air pickup in the bottom of the trunk and a ton of louvers in the decklid to let the hot air out.

I dunno... this is basically just mental masturbation for us anyway, but if you get something done lemme know, I want to see pictures!

Dan

26. Of course,the easy solution is to use one simple motor,and leave the hood closed. [​IMG]

27. Too easy Unk.
    I've got an obsession with both flatties and HEAVY metal...a wicked combination.
    Gotta sharpen my pencil! (Or should I say, "polish my rocket") [​IMG]

28. mikes51

mikes51

[ QUOTE ]
    There was a 53 Stude at Billetproof yesterday, had 2 flatheads. Most of us thought the front one wasn't hooked up. Owner said they were linked via some hydraulic system.
    I didn't understand it by looking at it, perhaps someone else knows about this type of hookup or knows of the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the pic from Travis' post.

[​IMG]

oppps, I thought they were flatheads, but they appear to be overheads according to another pic I saw. It must have been the heat that day.

29. That DEFINES "rude Stude"! Funny looking flatties tho.
    Looks like a lot of radiator happening.

Does anyone know whose car that is? Who built it? Any more pics?

I could kind of see a hydraulic hook up (sorta like a torque converter), but wouldn't that reverse the rotation from input to output?

GOD, I love the HAMB! [​IMG]