Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Twin engine '56 Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dale Fairfax, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

During the recent "62 Motorama" in Indy I was swapping lies with several other oldtimers and the subject of a "Bi Motor" '56 Victoria came up.

Way back in the '50s when I was attending G.M.I. in Flint, I was told about this wild street driven car that was owned by some student. Regrettably I never got to meet him or see the car but it was reported that he took particular delight in waxing the endless parade of Chevies that cruised up and down Saginaw Street back in those days. The car apparently had a conventional 292 or 312 up front with another sitting in the middle of the back seat. The rear engine was connected via a "Vee" drive in such a manner that it was diengaged under ordinary circumstances but when he needed the additional power it was just a matter of engaging it and turning on the key. I'm guessing it was high gear only system.

I had forgotten all about it during the ensuing 50 years until an acquaintence from Greenwood told me about "this old '56 with two motors" sitting outside a garage west of Greenwood. He knew the owner and checked it out. The rear engine appears to be a 332 or 352; the body is rotting down and the owner isn't anxious to sell (anxious enough to put a realistic price on it, that is). The story is that the car originated in the Kokomo area which sounds reasonable since there would have been a sizable contingent of G.M.I. students from there, given the concentration of G.M. facilities back then.

Now the question: Is there anybody from central Indiana who might be familiar with the story, the car, and the owner(s)? I's really like to learn more about it.

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Correction to "the story". I talked to the man who owns it and he said it came from LaPaz, IN. -just outside of South Bend. That's quite a ways from Kokomo. He says the original builder has passed away but the son may still be around. He bought it from a third party and doesn't have any names.

3. Spooky

Spooky

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Regrettably, no. From reports, the car looks stock . Later info says the builder used a transfer case to tie the second engine in. (Sounds like he powered into the output shafts)..

5. 63Compact

63Compact

That sounds nuts hope someone knows something or has a pic......

6. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Never heard of this one. Lots of kokomo old timers on here but I'm not sure how many south bend guys we've got on here...