Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turn Signal Wiring ?'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bloodyknucklehill, May 9, 2011.

1. Hey all I was wondering if anyone had wired in their turn signals separate from the braking system and how they did it. I have my ideas about how to do it but wiring isn't my strong point. I'm gonna put a second set of lights just for the turns on the rear of my 59 F100 and since the wiring in the truck is a bit of a rats nest I figured I'd be better off making it a separate system. I'm using an old universal column mount set-up with hazards if that helps. When I pulled it out of the parts truck I labeled where all the wires went so i'm good there.. The unit has it's own three pronged flasher as well. So my plan was to wire the main power for the front and rear turns to the ignition switch with a fuseable link, then just run the wires to the lights.. Is This the right way to go?

I did a search but didn't really find the answer I was looking for.

2. Here's a pic of the turn signal unit i'm using..

Attached Files:

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You'll want to wire it same as if you had brake lights involved, just don't add the hot feed from the brake light switch. Google image a 900 series diagram and go at it.

If you tie the front and rears together, it'll work until the doubled amperage kills the switch.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Here 'tis!

Attached Files:

• figa.gif
      figa.gif
      File size:
      14.2 KB
      Views:

5. Thanks that helps alot.. Guess I should've searched for the signal 900 intead of just turn signals

6. are you going to use LED lights? if so you may need ot use a different flasher and i had to run a ground directly to my turn signal switch to get the indicator light to flash

7. So would I just tape off the wire that's supposed to go to the brake switch since I'm not wiring it into that system? And no I'm not gonna run LED's.. My plan for now is to pull the round front parking/turn signal lights off of my 58 parts truck and mount them on the bottom portion of the taillight panel.. I always thought that was alot of real-estate for just those one tailights so I came up with that idea..

8. BTW.. After seeing that diagram, as helpful as it was, I thought it kinda looked like shit.. So when the baby went down for a nap I cleaned it up quite a bit..

Attached Files:

9. K a couple more questions just so i don't screw up too bad..

Since the actual lights have two wires each but the switch only has one, Which wire do I connect it to?

Also when looking at the flasher unit it's labeled, "Passenger, Driver, Ground," which doesn't jive with the diagram.. What do I do there?

10. Fenders

Fenders

Use a Signal Stat / Federal Mogul #263 flasher.
    In the diagram, blue = P = pilot (the little bulb in the directional unit),
    yellow = L = load,
    black = X = +12 volts
    The wires to the bulbs go to the brightest filament.