Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turbo Pontiac worth getting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shifts, Aug 21, 2006.

1. shifts

shifts

Had a guy stop by my shop w/ a early 80s 301 Pontiac w/ complete turrbo assy hes trying to sell to me. I know absolutely nothing about this setup & dont know whether to buy it or not. I'm personally not interested, but if one of you guys need it or have info about it, let me know. DAVE

2. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

you don't want it. in ordewr to make real power with that set up, you have to replace EVERYTHING.

3. Skip it. Those 301s were complete junk, unless you need a new anchor.

4. Retrorod

Retrorod

We couldn't make those things run right when brand new. Aside from the fact that a good running 350 Chevy would outrun one of those things on it's best day anyway.

5. All of the above.

6. I think a good running 4.3 would outrun one of those!

7. If it's dirt cheap a guy trying to restore an 80-81 TA might spend some bucks on it, but like they said above. The 301 is a thinwall low-deck version of what had been an excellent motor, and (I'm not sure I remember this right) the bore/stroke combo is a poor choice for turbocharging. I don't know anything personally about the turbo unit, but here again if it was cheap it might be worth playing with on something else - but not for much more than scrap weight on the whole mess. Which is in the 600-lb range.

8. shifts

shifts

Thanks for the info guys. He wanted to trade it in on a 402 BB chev. Dont think that will be happening. DAVE

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If it's dirt cheap and the entire turbocharger system is there, it could be adapted to another more worthy engine. Other than that, let it go.

10. Devilman13

Devilman13

It might make an interesting planter or paperweight.

Most of today's 4 bangers will outrun one of those.

11. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

I threw one of those out once. ON PURPOSE!!!:D

12. repoman

repoman

If he comes back, kick him in the shin, or whatever it is you you do when men try to fuck you from behind.

13. That's actually pretty funny! At least the guy has a sense of humor.

14. Squablow

Squablow

A Firebird restorer would probably pay a reasonable amount for one of those if it was in good working order, but I certainly wouldn't go trading it for anything good.

15. They are good parts motors for other Pontiac motors, especially early ones. Bolt on late (aluminum) front cover, HEI, oil pan, PCV valley cover, and spin-on oil filter adapter for any other Pontiac motor.

16. Rand Man

Rand Man

I remember when the richest kid in town got a brand new T/A ('79 or '80 I think). It was a dog and the turbo locked-up within the first year.

17. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Go to Rock and roll engineering site. It's a pontiac site and the owner is a piece of shit, (cheat) there is a dude on the site somewhere that is going fast with that setup.

18. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

yeah, but he's going nitrous small block fast at three times the money.

but really, I would crawl over a pile of those that ran to get to one locked up 400 pontiac.

and I have seen Iron dukes with a ram air IV cylinder head spank the unholy living crap out of a turboed 301.

19. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

That engine was a piece from day 1. Laughable he would try and trade it for a real engine. Unless someone was restoring a turbo t/a(why? they sucked) it ain't worth nothing, even if the engine and turbo are complete and work, which is doubtful.

20. shifts

shifts

He came back this morning w/ the eng & trans still in the back of his truck"just hoping". I showed him all you guys posts & he just left it here for free LOL. Now what the hell do I do w/ it? DAVE

21. ol boy

ol boy
    from Tucson, Az

Now you have a big door stop!

22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

My question would be,
    Wouldn't the early 64-67 tri-power intake fit on this eng:confused:. In 1969 Pontiac made a version of this very engine (normally aspirated) that kicked ass in Trans-Am series. The cubes had to be under 305ci. Hence the Z/28 @ 302 ci & Fords already 260,289,& 302 Windsor born blocks.

The exterior design looks similiar to a 67-76 400ci (I never measured one though) I would theorize that with the right tweaking that it would make a good lil small cube Hot Rod eng, save for the turbo deal. Those were very small Garrett Air Research units & I believe they were the same one Buick Regals used in 78-80. I can'r remember any one of those giving me a wake up call.
    Late 84 though was a different story! Buick got their sh*t together & made a performer out of the 3.8 turbo w/sfi, a larger turbo tuned plenum & later a intercooler. Those late ones GN's & GNX's did very well with small cubes & turbo set ups.
    Why couldn't someone tweak something like this and have a early look?

23. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY